What are 6/9 chords and what are they used ?

windmill

• Members

Do you use them ? do you know anyone who uses them ? Do you need a licence ?

Do they have a seventh ?

Where and how are they commonly used ?

Any examples of them in a popular song ?

enquiring minds would like to know.

• Members

You can also have minor 6/9 chords. Like major 6/9s, they are tonic chords.

In the case of major 6/9s, they could technically be IV or V chords, just more likely as I. In a minor key, a m69 chord will only be a tonic, and implies melodic minor.

I can't think of specific examples of 6/9 chords in popular songs - IOW, places where they are required, rather then simply optional. As Osmosis says, you can often play a 6/9 in place of a normal major chord if you want. It adds the most consonant intervals from the scale, so just makes the chord sound richer, more harmonically dense, without changing its function.

A typical use of a 6/9 chord would be as a final chord in a jazz tune, esp if you want a "warm, "mellow" sound instead of the slightly wistful, bittersweet quality of a maj7 or maj9. Of course, that "warm mellow" sound of the chord is not always appropriate. Eg, it's hardly a very suitable "rock" sound! (It's arguably the cheesiest chord you can play.)

• Members

6/9 chords also can embody a fourth-stack, which has been a staple of jazz voicings since the 50s.

For example C6/9: C in the bass, with a fourth stack on the third (EAD) gives you C6/9.

Fourth-stack voicings are cool because they have a somewhat more ambiguous and rich sound compared with third-stack voicings.

-Richard M

www.rhythmguitarsecrets.com

• Members

A typical use of a 6/9 chord would be as a
final
chord in a jazz tune, esp if you want a "warm, "mellow" sound instead of the slightly wistful, bittersweet quality of a maj7 or maj9.

and basically any jazzified-rockabilly/swing song endings.

I play a C6/9 (Django-style chromatic chord-sliding into the C6/9) at the end of Paff, The Magic Dragon for my kid (2 years old). He loves it.

• Members
I play a C6/9 (Django-style chromatic chord-sliding into the C6/9) at the end of Paff, The Magic Dragon for my kid (2 years old). He loves it.

Yes - I've always thought a 6/9 chord is like a big, smug cheesy grin (probably from a smart guy in a bow tie). I'm sure even young kids can pick up on that. (Although I suspect a 2-year-old will be picking up on all other kinds of signals you're sending out.;))

Archived