We won Jazz Album of the Year last night at our local music awards, The Jammies..pics

gennation

• Members

Listening to it now, very nice so far.

Is that you soloing on Ionia Bustle? If so, hats off to you, great tasteful playing.

Can you talk about the recording process/details at all?

Firstly, thanks polishpaul. I hope you like it. There's a number of guitar solo's and great rhythms, heads, lines, etc...through the tunes.

E-Money...

Yes, that's me playing all the electric guitar on the CD. Thanks! The only guitar I'm not playing is the classical stuff.

The keyboardist was commissioned to write this CD to depict our downtown, skidrow, neighborhoods. All the money made on the CD go to whats called the Heartside Community, which supports the missions, food halls, etc... It's summed up here in our local paper: http://www.mlive.com/onthetown/index.ssf/2011/01/grand_rapids_musician_steve_ta.html with this blurb:

Heartside Sketches, inspired by various spots in Grand Rapids

• Members

"But something definitely happened in the mixdown process Now it's the thin, not sure what to think of it, sound." Let me guess -Someone did an alternate mix or you werent there when it was done. Anyway-congrats on the cd and award.

Thanks. Nope, I wasn't there for the mixdown.

• Members

Mike.....

I clicked your link to get to the music....no luck........so I registered with Myspace.......but all I can get is this frightening website which really freaks me out. Awful place....no wonder Facebook is way ahead in popularity..... kind of rubbish, but in a human way of being rubbish.

Myspace seems to be governed by the Thought Police!

Any pointers, please? I'd like to have a listen. I click on evrything to do with Steve, but I just keep coming back to myself....or Rhianna. She's cute, granted, but I'd like to listen to you all playing :).

• Members

Hmmm, you shouldn't have to register with myspace at all. I agree myspace sucks, but this music site is THE Napster music database, you can listen to just about anything, for free. Once you get the hang of it, you'll live here for listening to music online, I do. It's all hi-res music too not watered down 128kb stuff.

Here it is without the linky stuff from HC, just remove the space between http and : then paste it in your browser.

http ://www.myspace.com/stevetalagamusic/music/albums/heartside-sketches-16589696

Or you can just go to http://music.myspace.com and enter stave talaga in the upper right search field. Then go down to albums and pick Heartside Sketches and away you go.

Once you get this site working, it's be your online music service for sure. You can find just about anything.

• Members

Thanks, but it's still odd....

I clicked the first link from your last post here, and get the name Steve Talaga, no photo, on an otherwise empty window, except for routine MySpace stuff at the bottom of the screen.

Clicking the second link, I get:

Http/1.1 Service Unavailable

...on a completely blank screen.

Just letting you know in case there's a problem with Steve's MySpace stuff. Maybe it's a temporary problem. I'll try again later.

• Members

Mike, that's so awesome brother! It sounds like the best of the best in your area got together to "give back." Very well-deserved success I think! Congrats!

Thanks much Jon. Many of the people I work with live in this downtown area and we do give back to this Heartside community frequently through the year through a couple of different annual events.

Here's an annual show we did just last month, it's a talent show where we put together a top notch band band and audition the homeless, down on their luck, mentally and physically handicapped, fostered adults, etc...to give them one night where they are the stars on a big stage, under the lights, with a packed house. Of course all the money goes back into the community, missions, shelters, food baskets, etc...this one TRULY warms all of our hearts to be participants, work with them directly, hang out for preshow jitters, after show party, the works, etc...

2011 Show Set 1: (at 3:48 is a performer we realized was singing most of the lines in 6/4 instead of 4/4, so we adjusted things for her)

BaxTtKZ6l6g

2011 Show Set 2:

4UdBPbDyUV4

Here's a VERY memorable performance from 2009's show, this lady was in HEAVEN!!!

SAb58ooKHPY

Archived