Marc Ribot

• Members

I've been really getting in to him lately, both his playing with Tom Waits and his solo stuff. I wouldn't mind digging into his style more, but past it sounding like he has a good foundation in jazz playing and a pretty good handle on his more advanced theory, I don't know what the hell he's doing!

Someone want to help me break down his style a bit?

• Members

Not so sure on his style - I am a newbie to his stuff too! But I would like to add his contribution to McCoy Tyner's "guitars" album are completely awesome. Check that album out if you haven't. Some great other players on there too like Derek Trucks and Stern, Frisell - Ribot's tracks are my fav.

• Members

I love Marc Ribot, but I don't know how much "theory" (in the usual sense) you could apply to this:

There's certainly tonal content in there (hints of the kind of pseudo-Euro-gypsy/Cuban minor key stuff he explores with Tom Waits), but he's more interested in random sonorities and free improv.

Of course, he doesn't always play this way - he's sometimes more "inside", more conventional.

But to "break down his style" means studying people like John Zorn (who he works with), and older free improv players like the late Derek Bailey, or Sonny Sharrock.

Bill Frisell too, although Frisell is usually drawn more to the mellower sonorities of electric guitar than Ribot is.

Here's Derek Bailey doing his thing on a jazz standard (just to show he can actually play ;)):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ED_iX8JxkiE

- and here's his more typical free stuff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quGnEkYt_0g&feature=related

- kinda makes Marc Ribot sound like Hank Marvin, yes?

Here's Sonny Sharrock:

- anyone know what scales he's using?? :rolleyes:

Or the estimable Dr Eugene Chadbourne, who Ribot definitely seems to be channelling:

(judging from the title, the comedy element is deliberate)

I don't suppose he gets hired to play too many weddings...

• 4 weeks later...

Archived