How do you transcribe?

• Members

So in the midst of transcribing Pat Metheny's "Bright Size Life" solo I was on the verge of ripping my hair out. I couldn't figure out the rhythms for {censored}, at least get them on paper. So I was thinking, better to perservere, or just stop and do it later, because important as it is to persevere, it is important to best utilize practice time (to practice smart). So I asked my friend and he brilliantly said that I should play it first, then write it out. How do you guys transcribe? Do you play it first then write it out? Write it then play it? Sing it, then figure out on guitar, play it with the recording, then write it?

I'd be very interested to see how you guys do things. Thanks a ton!

• Members

How do you guys transcribe? Do you play it first then write it out?

I've always done it in a similar way, but I might say "simultaneously" rather than "first, then".

Most of the music I've learned from records I've never actually trascribed it at all, that's because for me transcribing only ever served the purpose of helping me memorize the parts, for example if I'm learning a cover for the band or if I'm nailing down a particularly complex song that isn't going to easily stick to mind. This means that usually I learn it by listening over and over each section, immediately finding notes on the instrument, and in the meantime I transcribe it (usually starting from the higher layer stuff such as chords, while I leave lower layer parts like note-to-note solos for later). I suppose this is because I can't trust my ear without verifying notes and chords on an instrument. Usually my "transcriptions" for band purposes are totally unorthodox, consisting on a custom mix of various notations, because they are solely for my own use -> they help me practice the song. They normally get trashed after I've rehearsed the song a few times with the band.

Some other times I've trascribed songs that I wanted to keep for life, even after a long time I've learned to play the whole thing by ear; that usually happened only for classical guitar music tho, which I'm afraid I may forget if I stay too long away from a certain piece. Those I transcribe in standard notations.

• Members

Oh and when transcribing rhythms I suggest the following things in order...

1st - put down your pencil and just listen, listen, listen... most importantly you have to UNDERSTAND the rhythm, you need to "internalize" it. This is not just a matter of getting notes duration but also the "feel" or "groove" which is made also of accents and not just durations/positions of notes and pauses.

2nd - Singing the rhythm a little bit is a very good tool, since you have total control over your voice and can really focus on the rhythm, while you may not have enough control over your instrument unless you're really good

3rd - Practice the rhythm with the instrument. Sing it along, if it's tricky it might help you get it with your hands too.

You may actually stop here, after all unless you're being paid as a transcriber exactly, your purpose is to learn to play it. I'd say transcribing comes last.

Maybe for rhythms it's easier to transcribe them in a rhythmic notation, such as using symbols of notes/pause durations from the standard notation, but without writing the actual notes, just the strokes and then eventually marking the chords with their names.

• Members

So in the midst of transcribing Pat Metheny's "Bright Size Life" solo I was on the verge of ripping my hair out. I couldn't figure out the rhythms for {censored}, at least get them on paper.

To get rhythms right, you have to first identify the pulse, and the metre.

The pulse is the main beats you would tap your foot or clap to. The metre is the way the beats are organised into groups, expressed as a time signature (4/4, 3/4, etc).

You have to be aware of this structure as a background, and then hear where the notes fall relative to the bars and beats.

You should be able to feel this by playing along (and maybe counting), but I also use Transcribe software, which makes it easy. You can tap keys to mark the beats on a waveform display as the music plays. For complicated rhythms, you can then zero in on individual bars or even beats, and loop them, to hear exactly where the notes are falling.

http://www.seventhstring.com/xscribe/screenshots.html

In that screen shot, the barlines are marked H, H2, etc, and the beats with short vertical lines. So it's a 4/4 metre. You can see from the waveform peaks that many notes are falling between the beats.

(BTW, the software also slows down - and does other things - to help you identify pitches too. You can see a small section selected, to display the chord tones as peaks on the piano keyboard below.)

Of course, you need notation skills to write these rhythms down accurately!

Tip: Bright Size Life is in 4/4, a fairly slow BPM around 90, with 16th-note rhythms typical of fusion or jazz-funk.

• Members

I do as JonR does using transcribe. I will say for tricky measures sometimes it is a process of elimination. I put in the notes that I am sure of their placement first then go back and fill in the holes. If you get all the beats around a part then it eliminates certain options.

• Members

So in the midst of transcribing Pat Metheny's "Bright Size Life" solo I was on the verge of ripping my hair out. I couldn't figure out the rhythms for {censored}, at least get them on paper. So I was thinking, better to perservere, or just stop and do it later, because important as it is to persevere, it is important to best utilize practice time (to practice smart). So I asked my friend and he brilliantly said that I should play it first, then write it out. How do you guys transcribe? Do you play it first then write it out? Write it then play it? Sing it, then figure out on guitar, play it with the recording, then write it?

I'd be very interested to see how you guys do things. Thanks a ton!

The method I use might be unusual. Hard to say. I'll start with learning the bass notes, then the chords behind the solo section. Then, I'll map out the overall form (amount of measures/chord progression). Then I'll start working on rhythms and pitches. Typically, I'm using a pencil and paper with standard notation. Guitar's on my lap to check on certain pitches (to make sure I'm really on track and not guessing).

I'll use software to slow it down if I need to, but most of the time, it's not needed. I spent (spend) a lot of time working on my ability to hear intervals, chords, harmony, rhythms etc.

This is an activity where that work really pays off.

Here's a solo transcription I did of Duane Allman's "Blue Sky" solo (it took me about 45 minutes):

[ATTACH]333848[/ATTACH]

• Members

By far the most time I spend with transcription has to do with the rhythmic aspect. My current mode is to write out the single line, then bass, then chords. Probably better to do something like Jon said. The lines are like an "instant gratification" thing. I don't think you can loose however you do it.

Transcription gets easier the more you do it.

Somewhere between writing out the single line and the chords, I will start "learning to play it". I find the transcription process really bogs down if I try to play and notate at the same time. So its good to just go for writing it out first. YMMV.

"trying to play it" means first play along. then play without the recording. While playing, the notation helps me mainly with the phrasing - where to start phrases.

If you are interested in writing it, it helps to have a teacher to go over your results. Someone that can point out conventions like imaginary barlines, half time, tuplets and other rhythmic ideas, articulations, key sigs, etc. If nothing else, having a second pair of eyes to give you their opinion can be helpful.

Here is an awesome transription article by Dave Liebman:

http://www.daveliebman.com/earticles2.php?WEBYEP_DI=13

• Members

I described in detail (with pictures :) ) how I tackle rhythm in a recent thread started by Alex. Its a little painstaking, but entirely doable... I will try to dig up a link...

gaJ

Edit: I found Alex's thread where I show the methodical way to transcribe rhythym on the third page of this forum. I cant figure out how to make a linj wirh this clunky Nokia browser I'm using... But it's rhere if you're inrerested...

Archived