Checking out GP6...I put together one of the Elly May Clampett themes, have at it...

gennation

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

This is neat Mike. How do you find this software in regards to ease of use? I've been using Finale Notepad 2011 and it still just isn't easy to write in chord charts, accidentals, etc.

I'd like a software for to make good lead sheets and charts. I have Logic for my mac, perhaps I'll check out their version in the bundle too.

• Members

This is neat Mike. How do you find this software in regards to ease of use? I've been using Finale Notepad 2011 and it still just isn't easy to write in chord charts, accidentals, etc.

I'd like a software for to make good lead sheets and charts. I have Logic for my mac, perhaps I'll check out their version in the bundle too.

I'm not at all experienced with GP6.

I've heard that Sibelius is good for writing lead sheets too. I've got Finale 2010 (the full version) for mac. It's a steep learning curve, but there isn't any style of music notation (that I know of) that it can't do. In the full version of Finale, lead sheets are pretty easy and quick.

Here are a few examples some different notation styles. The "Pork Pie" one is a lead sheet:

• Members

Nice work...I expected Jethro and the chimp to come out when that music plays...

:)

I'm still trying to find a copy of this tune. It's not on any of the shows soundtrack cd's or youtube or anything. I learned it back in the 80's from a singing drummer. On tour he would sing these goofy melodies for me as we hung out during the day between gig and I would learn them. "Goofy" as in tv tunes, polka's, off the wall tunes that would be considered "traditional etc..., he'd slow them down vocally, and repeat/loop phrases (the guy had perfect pitch, great tone, was a nut, and new the book as far as tunes went). He was like the human Transcribe! back then.

If anyone can find a copy of this little tune, I'd be much obliged. It's got to be out there somewhere.

I've been using Finale 2008 for about 3-4 years now, but I found this trial GP6 to be quite a bit quicker for guitar stuff. Of course it doesn't allow you to create full scores though (from what I've seen) like Finale. I haven't purchased GP6 yet but am planning to this weekend.

• Members

Guitar pro is cool because its really easy to use and write thing for guitar, bass and drums. You can add instruments like piano, strings, brass section, etc.

You can playback your songs with RSE (Realistic Sound Engine).

The only thing in my experience that Guitar Pro lacks its that bass notes must be the same duration as the other notes you are playing. You can't have a bass note in the guitar this is 1/2 and the top notes 1/8 for example. Power Tab ( a free software) allows you to do that, but it is not even close to the editing and playback capabilities of GP.

• Members

Guitar pro is cool because its really easy to use and write thing for guitar, bass and drums. You can add instruments like piano, strings, brass section, etc.

You can playback your songs with RSE (Realistic Sound Engine).

The only thing in my experience that Guitar Pro lacks its that bass notes must be the same duration as the other notes you are playing. You can't have a bass note in the guitar this is 1/2 and the top notes 1/8 for example. Power Tab ( a free software) allows you to do that, but it is not even close to the editing and playback capabilities of GP.

I bought it this weekend and have been creating charts for two days now. I now realize you can do all the arranging like finale...horns, strings, vocals, etc...actually I like the"sounds" better than finale.

You can do the different/separate note durations by creating a separate track for them. Like for the bass notes in a travis picking type thing. Then I think its multitrack that you use to combine them. There is a video tute on the support site that explains it.

• Members

I bought it this weekend and have been creating charts for two days now. I now realize you can do all the arranging like finale...horns, strings, vocals, etc...actually I like the"sounds" better than finale.

You can do the different/separate note durations by creating a separate track for them. Like for the bass notes in a travis picking type thing. Then I think its multitrack that you use to combine them. There is a video tute on the support site that explains it.

Thanks Mike, I'll check it out. It is the tool I've been looking for all the finger-picked acoustic stuff.

Archived