Understanding: Suspended Chords (Sus Chords), how to create and play

• Members

Hey guys,

First video back into it, this time we are looking at understanding how to create and how to play suspended chords!

Don't worry I'm working on making these video's shorter, i just want to make sure that after one viewing everyone completely understands :thumb up:

[video=youtube;_xoWcEwXqfQ]

Suspended chords can be used in any genre, i love how powerful an open Dsus2 sounds with a hard driven amp!

All the best,

Pat

• Members

Yeah man! I love that you put so much time and energy in to teaching. You clearly love to teach. As I'm watching the video, I notice that the first time you hear or see a guitar fretboard is a 5:30.

If you're interested in suggestions, try playing something at the beginning of the video that uses what you're trying to teach.

Ex:

-Play the intro to "You Shook Me All Night Long" or "Pinball Wizard" (or maybe the chorus of Bryan Adam's "Summer of 69")

-Talk about how the example uses a sus chord

-Show how to play the example

-Talk about the theory behind it

-Use traditional notation, tab, and letters (possibly diagrams too)

-Review, then play some more

It's a lot more work, but I suspect your videos will do much better in the youtube guitar lessons world.

• Members

Yeah man! I love that you put so much time and energy in to teaching. You clearly love to teach. As I'm watching the video, I notice that the first time you hear or see a guitar fretboard is a 5:30.

If you're interested in suggestions, try playing something at the beginning of the video that uses what you're trying to teach.

Ex:

-Play the intro to "You Shook Me All Night Long" or "Pinball Wizard" (or maybe the chorus of Bryan Adam's "Summer of 69")

-Talk about how the example uses a sus chord

-Show how to play the example

-Talk about the theory behind it

-Use traditional notation, tab, and letters (possibly diagrams too)

-Review, then play some more

It's a lot more work, but I suspect your videos will do much better in the youtube guitar lessons world.

You know what jon and alex,

I reckon both of you guys hit the nail on the head,

real world examples from classic songs are both needed,

As well as shorter video's with more guitar,

Those are some brilliant tips Jon, helpful advice is always welcome!

Thankyou for taking the time to write awesome suggestions!

The main reason more guitar wasn't played early is I was trying to keep the video as short as possible,

then when i started editing i realised it really couldn't have been under 5min,

But I'll definitely use your ideas next time!

• Members

This is a bit off topic, but when playing a C7sus(9), what is the 9? I believe the sus indicates a sus4 and was expecting the 9 to be a D. However, the chart I'm looking at does not have a D.

Well, it should do. However, it's a slightly odd symbol. If there is a 9th, it ought to be C9sus4, or C9sus for short.

But is also depends on what kind of chart you're referring to. An accompanying chord could be C9sus without a D appearing in a notated tune or arrangement (although I'd say it would be unlikely).

And there's not a lot of point in adding a (9) in brackets as if to suggest that any optional 9th added would be major (not b9) - because a C7sus would normally have a major 9 (D) anyway. Unless maybe the context is key of F minor or Ab major, where you'd expect a b9 on a C7 or C7sus chord, and they want to suggest that a D should be played in any improvisation scale instead of Db.

• Members

Could the (9) imply anything else?

I think the most likely explanation is it's an optional note (as you guessed). 9ths are often optional extension on 7th chords; they don't make a lot of difference, just enrich the sound a bit more.

In jazz, players would know this, and wouldn't need to see a (9) added to the symbol. Equally, if they saw "9sus", they wouldn't feel it essential to play the 9; it would be just be a little more advisory than it would be in "7sus".

Sometimes when an extension above 7 is shown (9, #11, 13, etc), it's representing a melody note. Eg, if the melody has a strong A note on top of a C7 chord, the chord might be shown as "C13"

Archived