how to get back to the song in a jam?

• Members

The band I'm in has started adding more songs that have room for jamming out a little more (allman brothers, santana, that kind of thing). I've never been in a band that did that kind of stuff, it's always been more so "you have an 8/12/16/whatever bar solo and you end in that time".

Let's say we are doing an extended thing and I've said all I can say in a particular solo, what are some ways to signal to the band to go back into the song? More so, how can I get better at not losing my place so-to-speak during the jam? Ending in the right spots I guess. I mean, I can't imagine guys like Jerry Garcia or Jimi Hendrix counting measures...

• Members

The band I'm in has started adding more songs that have room for jamming out a little more (allman brothers, santana, that kind of thing). I've never been in a band that did that kind of stuff, it's always been more so "you have an 8/12/16/whatever bar solo and you end in that time".

Let's say we are doing an extended thing and I've said all I can say in a particular solo, what are some ways to signal to the band to go back into the song? More so, how can I get better at not losing my place so-to-speak during the jam? Ending in the right spots I guess. I mean, I can't imagine guys like Jerry Garcia or Jimi Hendrix counting measures...

It depends on the music. If the chord progression is a simple one or two-chord jam, then you give the band a "sight cue" (like the "guitar neck in the air" motion) to show when you're done. If the form is more complex, then you gotta count measures.

A good skill to practice is to learn awareness of exactly how long the phrases you play are. Not easy. :-)

• Members

If Chuck Norris had animals..........no..........back to the thread. :)

A good skill to practice is to learn awareness of exactly how long the phrases you play are. Not easy. :-)

I found this an interesting statement, Jon. Did you mean that it's a skill needing to be practiced separately from playing in time? Thinking about it, it seems the only way to apply this awareness would be to be able to start a given phrase at any point in a bar, and be able to end it at the corresponding point in the same or another one, in relation to the start point.

Very tight, that.....even more difficult to modify a set phrase on-the-fly and still land correctly at the end of it and know how to move forward from that point.

Hence your :-) when you wrote it's "not easy", I suppose.

• Members

Work out cues with the drummer (and bassist or anyone else) in rehearsal. The cue could be a specific lick, a motion, or a look. The drummer can cue the rest of the band pretty easily with a fill in case not everyone can see you. In my humble opinion other guitarists, keys, and other instruments can kind of fake it, or just lay out for a bar or so and it won't be too big a deal; but if the drums and bass aren't right, it's not going to sound good at all. Like anything else, it's easier to do "on the fly" if you practice first. :)

• Members

Ideally, everyone should be able to tell by what you're playing. You come to a climax, wrap it up with a logical conclusion, and everyone knows it's time to go back into the song.

If that doesn't work, just nod at the drummer and have him cue it with a lick.

Archived