How to play and create 9th chords! (Major, Minor, Dom, ADD)

• Members

Hey everyone,

This week we're looking at ninth chords!

I explain how to create each chord and then I show you how you apply that knowledge to the fretboard and actually play each chord,

Hope you guys like it,

Feedback is always welcome, I take everything on board,

[video=youtube;Ib_ZgRqvZ90]

Pat

• Members

9th in a chord implies that the ninth is an octave plus a whole step over the root. if it falls inside of the octave with the root, then it's an add2. this might sound like i'm nitpicking but they are two completely different chords. the first cmaj9 you are playing is really a cmaj7 add2

• Members

Great video man. Here are my two cents:

- For newbies like me, it would a lot if you included practical examples (i.e songs that use some 9th chords) or if you could explain how those chords fit in a chord progression in the key of C, for instance.

That's a great idea Alex, i'll take it on board buddy

• Members

9th in a chord implies that the ninth is an octave plus a whole step over the root. if it falls inside of the octave with the root, then it's an add2. this might sound like i'm nitpicking but they are two completely different chords. the first cmaj9 you are playing is really a cmaj7 add2

I understand what you're saying C+,

I'm purely trying to show the very basic easy to play examples,

I may add a comment in the description, but you're right it is nit picking,

But nonetheless I understand your point of view

Pat

• Members

Here again, I don't see that as nit-picking... I see it as not fully accurate. C+T is correct with how I was taught as well. I know that isn't exactly the word of God or anything.. But if I see a 9 chord on a chart. I am thinking 9th note of the scale ... which is quite different from add2 (second note of the scale)

Sorry man! You're getting your balls busted here lately!

• Members

I agree with this and don't see it as nitpicking at all, it's an important disinction.

But, OTOH, if you think about it, this rule is broken all the time with guitar music.

Often, even with the open D chord.....there is more that an octave between the common Dsus2 voicing (the 2nd being the open E string). And, with some chord voicings, 2 octaves.

I always look at more as the SUSPENDED chords have an absence of the THIRD. As in the open D and the Sus4 & Sus2(3rd and open 1st strings respectively).

As in the "behind blue eyes" voicing of Asus2(or so it's referred to). Though there is a larger than octave span there is no 3rd.

• Members

good lord I have opened a can of worms with this one!

I think the consensus is definitely being understood here,

I think when I tried to simplify things too much it all went pear shaped,

from now on i'll listen to your advice and just present everything the way it is, with no watering down

• Members

No man! Don't take that from these conversations. People's individual approaches are the gold in these type lessons. Something you do may really click with someone. What I would do if i were you (like i said in the other thread) would be to say what the convention is THEN say how you do it. If you had said "most people would think of this chord as an add2, but I prefer to think of it as a 9th for x reason" then that is really all that in my opinion is needed.

You are very good at it and come across really well on the camera. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water bro : )

• Members

No man! Don't take that from these conversations. People's individual approaches are the gold in these type lessons. Something you do may really click with someone. What I would do if i were you (like i said in the other thread) would be to say what the convention is THEN say how you do it. If you had said "most people would think of this chord as an add2, but I prefer to think of it as a 9th for x reason" then that is really all that in my opinion is needed.

You are very good at it and come across really well on the camera. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water bro : )

Ah I understand now!

That's very valid advice, feedback is really helping me shape these video's into something useful.

Thankyou for your time jeremy

I was asked before for what purpose do I make these video's?

Honestly I'm studying to become a music teacher, so not only are these video's helpful in training me to become a better teacher,

But! The main reason is because I feel I'm very lucky to have the opportunity to work and study in music, many people never have that opportunity so I'm trying to

pass on what I have learnt to everyone, for free.

Anyone that wants to learn music should have the chance to,

Well that's why I make these video's,

alrighty end rant!

Pat

• Members

Thanks for the video Pat.

I know more after watching it than I did before.

"You are very good at it and come across really well on the camera. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water bro : ) "

Regarding all the comments, when you're a famous teacher with many brilliant students you'll know who to thank ! :)

• Members

I was asked before for what purpose do I make these video's?

Honestly I'm studying to become a music teacher, so not only are these video's helpful in training me to become a better teacher,

But! The main reason is because I feel I'm very lucky to have the opportunity to work and study in music, many people never have that opportunity so I'm trying to

pass on what I have learnt to everyone, for free.

Anyone that wants to learn music should have the chance to,

Gotcha. That's really great. I think you'll do very well in life with that philosophy. I get nitpicky because you show potential. "To whom much is given, much is expected." Right?

Keep up the great work!

• Members

Gotcha. That's really great. I think you'll do very well in life with that philosophy. I get nitpicky because you show potential. "To whom much is given, much is expected." Right?

Keep up the great work!

Thankyou very much for the kind words mate!

All the best,

Pat

Archived