Transcribed the first solo to Giant Steps for guitar, have at it

• Members

I have to play this tune this Thursday in a show :eek: and thought I should learn some of it properly as opposed to just blowing over it. So I put this bit together. Have at it...

Here's the original recording...

30FTr6G53VU

What I charted is the head and the first solo.

Usually I'd play the head in one spot on the fretboard but timbre wise it's sounds better moving it and keeping in on the same strings. Plus it's shows the symmetry for melody.

The positions I choose for the solo lines are based purely on timbre again as well as trying to keep it all in one spot on the fretboard to show how nicely the lines intertwine as the chords change. In the end though, those strings and those frets seem to have the truest sound (to me anyways) for copping the timbre and sound of the tenor sax.

You can download the PDF (better viewing) as well as the GP6 file (so you can manipulate it):

PDF: http://test.mikedodge.com/mvdmusic/miked/giantsteps.pdf

GPx: http://test.mikedodge.com/mvdmusic/miked/giantsteps.gpx

Here's the chart in a page view...

GiantSteps-page-001.jpg

GiantSteps-page-002.jpg

Knock yourself out!!!

• Members

Thanks J. Good point, yes, chord tones galore. Notice the head melody rest (on the whole tones) on the 5th of each chord. The solo is full of straight arpeggio's.

kooter82, LOL @ Baby Steps. Can't believe that's the first time I've hear it called that where learning is at hand :)

All, notice the great/classic ii-V-I bebop lick in measure 21. I've posted this lick a couple of times in different things/lessons/charts I've posted here. That lick is all over the place in bop tunes.

play as straight (or swinging) eighth notes:

Am7 D7 Gmaj7

E-----------------------------|-----

B-----------------------------|-----

G--9-----------------------8--|--7--

D-----10--7---------7--10-----|-----

A------------10--9------------|-----

E-----------------------------|-----

• Members

Bump

I updated the initial post...

I completed the missing chords, fixed the enharmonics throughout and smoothed out the four arpeggios starting at measure 22 to make them move more chormatically in one straight direction upward, and to make them A LOT easier to play at a faster pace than how I had them jumping all over the place :)

If you see other things that need to be tweaked please let me know, especially some of the enharmonic naming in the chromatic lines. I did my best with those but I can probably use some input or affirmation from the pro's. I'd like to get as solid as possible before adding more to it.

Archived