Victor Wooten on the language of music, making mistakes, proficiency, etc...

• Members

There's an interview w/ Scott Henderson somewhere on Youtube where he said his teacher, Bill Prince, said "Be the worst person in the band. That's how you learn."

It also reminds me of an interview w/ Guthrie Govan where he was talking about starting guitar at about age three. What I found interesting, was that he had basically been playing his whole life and it was such as part of him - like speaking - that he didn't pick up guitar to be cool. He didn't do it to get chicks. It was just natural due to having done it soooooo long, starting so young. It kind of frees him from feeling pressure to do things a certain way, or play certain things (or to not like certain thing that might not be hip). I never looked at it that way.

• Members

I agree on that, but I can't deny that it drew a smile on my face
:D

Me too. That was my initial reaction as well.. Pretty sure he meant it to do that.

I love Victor and his approach. It very much resonates with my feelings about playing too. He is just so full of joy with it. This is something many people forget about or lose along the way.

• Members

There's an interview w/ Scott Henderson somewhere on Youtube where he said his teacher, Bill Prince, said "Be the worst person in the band. That's how you learn."

It also reminds me of an interview w/ Guthrie Govan where he was talking about starting guitar at about age three. What I found interesting, was that he had basically been playing his whole life and it was such as part of him - like speaking - that he didn't pick up guitar to be cool. He didn't do it to get chicks. It was just natural due to having done it soooooo long, starting so young. It kind of frees him from feeling pressure to do things a certain way, or play certain things (or to
not
like certain thing that might not be hip). I never looked at it that way.

For me, it's a no-brainer. Enjoyment of playing for its own sake is what it's all about.

You don't play because of other people, because you hope they will like you because of what you do. You play despite the fact that often they don't like what you do.

Great musicians don't come from beginners who have to be persuaded to practise; they come from beginners who have to be persuaded to leave the damn thing alone occasionally!

It comes back to the idea that you don't practise in order to reach a goal of some kind; with a future aim in mind (even an honourable musical one, let alone some dumb/cool chicks'n'fame one). You practise simply because you enjoy the activity, right in the present moment, forgetting past and future entirely.

If there ever is a goal worth pursuing, it's one you can achieve in the next hour, or the next few minutes. Otherwise, you simply don't think that way. You're having too much fun. That's how those hours get put in without you hardly noticing.

Archived