Anyone here using an amp sim with a Netbook?

Anderton

• Members
I've had no problems with SSD drives and netbooks so far. As for the speed, it surprised me a lot! Ultra fast.
:cool:

The mini PCIe-based SSDs? The throughput is terrible, usually like 15MB write, 40MB read.

A regular 2.5" SSD usually gets 150MB write, 200MB read.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have an Eee pc (1.4 ghz atom, 1g ram, 4g flash hd) that I use with either a line6 ux2 and fcb1010 or i use the rig kontrol 3. I have been using GR3 for live performances for several months now... not a single complaint at all. I use windows XP sp2, stripped right down to the bare essentials. I don't even have GR3 installed... I boot it from a SD card. I get 7ms of latency without any sound glitches. To further add to my laziness, I sometimes use a Line 6 Variax 600 instead of bringing the Jaguar, Strat, and ES around with me. Keep in mind, this machine's sole purpose is to run GR3. I picked it up off ebay for 180 bucks. Not a bad price for complete portability. Anyone who says you can't use a netbook running windows to gig with simply isn't trying to make it work.

• Members

Installed the demo of Peavey Revalver last night on the Eee to take it for a spin. While stability was an issue using my interfaces lowest latency (1.9 ms), it worked much better at higher rates but at that point the latency could be felt and was a bit dissapointing. I should mention that the Eee is dead stock with only 1 GB RAM and a slow 5400 RPM drive and no tweaks to XP to improve performance. With some tweaks and upgrades one might be able to get it to work, however stock it's not a good partner to Revalver. I didn't try Amplitube and my experience is that app is even more resource hungry than Revalver.

• Members

although this has nothing to do with the OP's question regarding netbooks, I run line6 AMPfarm/gearbox, Riffworks, Reaper, ezdrummer, on my HP laptop (2Ghz duo core w/ 4GB memory, Vista 64) with no problems or latency of any kind using the line6 UX2 interface all while surfing the internet on a wireless connection, so go figure

• Members

What interface are you using?

Tascam 1641 USB 2.0 interface. I can get just under 2ms latency (that might be one way, the driver is reporting 1.9 ms latency but it does feel more immediate than the 4ms setting on the EMU 1616m, it's going on the chopping block) in stand alone mode on my main box which feels completely natural. Kinda spoils it for me when the latency needs to be turned up...

• Members

Try loading it up in REAPER, it has a great true latency calculator that will let you know your full I/O path latency. Could give you a hint as to why it sounds good one way and not so good another.

It's not too surprising that the little EEE can't really swing a powerful modeler, though - there's a heck of a lot of calculatin' going on, especially when the latency is that low. They're handy little things but you need the power that a more robustly spec'd laptop would provide to take the studio on the road, I think.

• Members

Try loading it up in REAPER, it has a great true latency calculator that will let you know your full I/O path latency. Could give you a hint as to why it sounds good one way and not so good another.

It's not too surprising that the little EEE can't really swing a powerful modeler, though - there's a heck of a lot of calculatin' going on, especially when the latency is that low. They're handy little things but you need the power that a more robustly spec'd laptop would provide to take the studio on the road, I think.

The Eee meets Revalver's specs but that's just to basically function, not guaranteed to function well! Honestly, we're probably only 6 months to a year away from a next generation Netbook which will handle any of the big amp sim apps. Intel just released the ATOM Z550 which clocks at 2 Ghz. Add 2 Gb RAM that's getting close the specs of my desktop and met the specs of my old laptop which cost nearly 4 times what I paid for the Eee...

• Members

I use Gr3 live with CubaseLE on XP, which also plays back a minimal stereo backing, and hosts a Korg Wavestation softsynth which i occasionally switch to throughout the show, via a MIDI'd controller keyboard (2/3rds of our show i play guitar)

Our vocalist also runs live through the system on her own virtual track complete with FX (comp,delays,verb).

Our stereo backing track is a single 55min wav file with markers appointed along the timeline, and the tempo track in cubase is 100% synced to the tempos of each song.

All my GR3 patches change automatically, and so do the vocalists (and so does the wavestation) ...... and every effect throughout the show is auto tempo synced.

The only catch is ..... i use a desktop/tower and small lcd monitor with an Echo Mia PCI card.

The vocalist and i plug into a Mackie VLZ (i'm DI'ed), She is hard panned left and i am hard panned right, we leave the mackie via the Alt Bus only and enter the Mia via inputs 1 and 2 respectively.

We go through cubaseLE>plugins, where the entire signal is dual-mono'ed, and spat out the Mia's outputs 1 and 2, into a stereo channel on the mackie which is outputed to the Master Out only ....... which feeds the to the Engineer out at FOH.

It takes me less than 10mins total setup time, and the total round trip latency is 10ms ..... the singer doesnt notice it, nor do i, nor does the FOH engineer or the crowd.

The system is kinda clunky looking but is totally bulletproof and runs smooth as silk all night every night for hours on end if needed.

EDIT: We are filming our next show, and ill throw a youtube link up, if only to clarify my post above :).

• Members

Theres no question really about desktop systems or even moderate laptops being capable of running soft modellers/samplers/synths live. You can get 15inch dual core cpu laptops with 4 gigs ram for $399 now.

The netbooks are nice due to their small size (i can put mine in a gig bag) and greater battery life, hence the thread on topic.

• Members
I use Gr3 live with CubaseLE on XP, which also plays back a minimal stereo backing, and hosts a Korg Wavestation softsynth which i occasionally switch to throughout the show, via a MIDI'd controller keyboard (2/3rds of our show i play guitar)

Our vocalist also runs live through the system on her own virtual track complete with FX (comp,delays,verb).

Our stereo backing track is a single 55min wav file with markers appointed along the timeline, and the tempo track in cubase is 100% synced to the tempos of each song.

All my GR3 patches change automatically, and so do the vocalists (and so does the wavestation) ...... and every effect throughout the show is auto tempo synced.

The only catch is ..... i use a desktop/tower and small lcd monitor with an Echo Mia PCI card.

The vocalist and i plug into a Mackie VLZ (i'm DI'ed), She is hard panned left and i am hard panned right, we leave the mackie via the Alt Bus only and enter the Mia via inputs 1 and 2 respectively.

We go through cubaseLE>plugins, where the entire signal is dual-mono'ed, and spat out the Mia's outputs 1 and 2, into a stereo channel on the mackie which is outputed to the Master Out only ....... which feeds the to the Engineer out at FOH.

It takes me less than 10mins total setup time, and the total round trip latency is 10ms ..... the singer doesnt notice it, nor do i, nor does the FOH engineer or the crowd.

The system is kinda clunky looking but is totally bulletproof and runs smooth as silk all night every night for hours on end if needed.

EDIT: We are filming our next show, and ill throw a youtube link up, if only to clarify my post above
:)

That'd be interesting to see. Neat setup!

• Members

I tried it with vista running on a dell 10" mini. Atom based. Way too slow. I dumped and reloaded ubuntu on it. However, recently, I reloaded Windows 7 on it and the performance is at least 2-3 times what it was under vista. I suspect it may stand a chance, I'm just not sure what the latency would be.

• Members

I tried it with vista running on a dell 10" mini. Atom based. Way too slow. I dumped and reloaded ubuntu on it. However, recently, I reloaded Windows 7 on it and the performance is at least 2-3 times what it was under vista. I suspect it may stand a chance, I'm just not sure what the latency would be.

Man, I didn't even think they speced good enough to run Vista! Mine's running XP, but I'd be very interested in trying out Windows 7 on it...

• Members

Man, I didn't even think they speced good enough to run Vista! Mine's running XP, but I'd be very interested in trying out Windows 7 on it...

Well, I don't think technically it was spec'ed properly to run vista. I spent way too much time getting it optimized only to run, very fast, back to ubuntu.

My wife has been using it with windows 7 for two months and it has yet to crash on her (which is a pretty decent feat in and of it's self).

I will say it runs Ez Dummer without issue, however, as a sample streamer the requirements are far less than that of an amp sim. If Line 6 would recognize pod farm on my pod x3 pro I could test that on there, but apparently, the free pod farm was only meant as a gesture.

• Members

If Line 6 would recognize pod farm on my pod x3 pro I could test that on there, but apparently, the free pod farm was only meant as a gesture.

Try Line6 GearBox

When i get time - I will try my Line6 Toneport Gold w/ Gearbox on my HP Mini 110 with Hi res (1366 x 768) HD Screen, 2GB RAM and WinXP and report my results.

http://www.shopping.hp.com/go/mini?jumpid=re_r329_hpdirect_hho

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I just got GTR3.5 up and running on my Acer Aspire One netbook.

Seems to do just fine, although there IS a little bit of latency using the ASIO4ALL drivers and the native sound card. But that's to be expected.

My GOOD portable audio interfaces are either Firewire or PCI cards, and the Aspire doesn't support Firewire. :(

Looks like I might have to break down and get a little USB I/O box. But hey, if it works with no detectable latency, then I could conceivably just take a midi footswitch, my netbook, and a powered monitor to gigs. :eek:

• Members

Now if only SOMEBODY made a cheap USB pedalboard/audio interface. Native Instruments and IK Multimedia totally miss the point with their expensive pedalboards. Seriously, why the hell aren't there any $100 pedalboards? The midi controller world has a glut of good cheap stuff - c'mon M-Audio, Digitech, Behringer, get hip to the needs of modern guitarists!

• Members

Cheap would sound garbage. The only good thing about it would be that it was cheap. And at any rate there are cheap instrument-to-USB converters. E.g. IKMM StealthPlug.

The StealthPedal is $200 for the regular package and comes with a full version of one of their modelers and controls anything you want. How does that suck?

• Members
Now if only SOMEBODY made a cheap USB pedalboard/audio interface. Native Instruments and IK Multimedia totally miss the point with their expensive pedalboards. Seriously, why the hell aren't there any $100 pedalboards? The midi controller world has a glut of good cheap stuff - c'mon M-Audio, Digitech, Behringer, get hip to the needs of modern guitarists!

I was thinking about this as I woke up this morning and thought of what would be a REALLY killer product for ME.

A powered monitor/PA speaker, with a two channel mixer, an XLR input for channel one, and a 1/4 instrument in for channel two.

But wait, I'm not finished...

It would also have a USB port, to send and receive digital audio to and from a computer, and the two input channels could be toggled to go straight to the USB port, left and right channels. The converters would have fairly flat frequency response, and would ideally be 24bit for low noise.

Finally, let's add to this box a midi input that ALSO gets routed to the USB port, so you could use any midi controller on your software with the system.

It's such a narrow market that I can't imagine one of these boxes appearing in the near future, but it sure would be a sweet product for a guitar player with a computer-based rig. :thu:

• Members

Cheap would sound garbage. The only good thing about it would be that it was cheap. And at any rate there are cheap instrument-to-USB converters. E.g. IKMM StealthPlug.

The StealthPedal is $200 for the regular package and comes with a full version of one of their modelers and controls anything you want. How does that suck?

I guess it comes down to how one defines cheap. I mean the $200 StealthPedal is pretty darn affordable. Curious to see the final price point on Sm Pro Audio's V-Pedal when it hits the market...

• Members
I just got GTR3.5 up and running on my Acer Aspire One netbook.

Seems to do just fine, although there IS a little bit of latency using the ASIO4ALL drivers and the native sound card. But that's to be expected.

My GOOD portable audio interfaces are either Firewire or PCI cards, and the Aspire doesn't support Firewire.
:(

Looks like I might have to break down and get a little USB I/O box. But hey, if it works with no detectable latency, then I could conceivably just take a midi footswitch, my netbook, and a powered monitor to gigs.
:eek:

Well, I plugged in the cheapest little USB device I had, a Behringer UCA202 ($29), and I managed to get my latency down to 6ms with no glitches, which is fairly playable.

Maybe once I do some optimization, like getting rid of unnecessary services and such, I might be able to get it down to 3ms.

This is the full GTR3.5, btw, with dual amp sims and all stomp boxes on "go". :lol:

I'm starting to believe that I could actually gig with this little Acer netbook! :eek:

Oh, I wouldn't trust the Behringer to be noiseless in various live environments. I'd get a better interface before actual gigging. But the fact that it's playable with this cheap little plastic I/O box is very encouraging.

Archived