Software Synth Users - I need your advice.

rickynelson

• Members

Hi everyone,

So lately I've been craving a modular synthesizer like you wouldn't believe, except real analog ones are not only too expensive but are also too big and heavy.

So I've decided to purchase a software synth mainly with the purpose of doing treatments on recorded guitar parts.

The trouble I'm having is this, first I dont know jack about modular synths, except roughly what they are how they work and what they do (i figure this part I can just figure out along the way).

And secondly, most of the synths that Im interested in are vsti type synths that work with a midi input. What I need is a synth that will take audio input so as to run my guitar (prerecorded or not) through it to get synth sounds.

Ive been looking at the Arturia Moog Modular which looks great but I cant figure out if itll do what I need it to (there arent a lot of tutorials on these online and I dont wanna read the 300 pages of the manual before I know that it does what I want).

So can anyone suggest some vst synths or tell me if the arturia moog modular can do guitar treatments.

Im prepared to spend up to $500, and maybe a bit more if its worth it.

Thanks in advance!

• Members

Hey thanks a lot man!

So I downloaded the demo from the arturia website to check the synth out. First thing I tried was the instructions in the excerpt you posted.

Problem is, I cannnot select any inputs from my interface except the ones for midi. When I press keys on the virtual keyboard I get a sound and everything but I cant process my guitar through it.

I have two options on the 'midi in' selection (the two midi ports from my E-MU 1616m I assume), but the 'in' and 'out' sections are both blank, that is, I have no options as far as selecting an audio input for the synth.

Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks so much!

EDIT: Got it! I had to close and reopen the synth once I had set up my card settings and all. Im trying to set up your recommended patch now. Ill ask for more help if i need it (pretty much inevitable haha)

• Members

OK so as expected I could not get it to work properly. I am now trying to process a track in cubase with the plug-in. (i thought it would be simpler as I could just use a preset and se what happens)

Problem is I get no sound. I added the plugin as an insert to one of my tracks, whenever the plugin is activated it mutes the track, when I turn it off the track plays normally.

Can someone help with whatever it is I'm doing wrong? thanks!

EDit: the virtual keyboard on the interface still works beautifully so I know that the thing can produce sound, haha)

Archived