Free Guitar / Amp Sims & Plug Ins

jburn

• Members

The recording forum has their free VST & Plug In's thread so I though it would be good if High Tech Guitar had a similar post, but with only guitar related goodies. Im sure there are a ton of other guitar plug ins out there, so please add to the list and post your findings.

AcmeBarGig - Lots of amp heads

LePou Plugins - Amp sims & Cabinet sims

Voxengo Boogex - Pre-amp / Cab sim

SimulAnalog Guitar Suite - Amp & pedal models

MDA Combo - Amp & cab sim

Aradaz Amp Crunch and Amp2 - Amp Sim

Fretted Synth FreeAmp3 - Amp Sim

I have to credit Will Chen (FrugalGuitarist) for compiling a lot of these links in his recording forum post. Thanks Frugal! :thu:

• Members

...I have to credit Will Chen (FrugalGuitarist) for compiling a lot of these links in his recording forum post. Thanks Frugal!
:thu:

Hey thanks for the shout out!

Here's one more, a very good one in fact:

Studio Devil British Valve Custom

Also, keep a sharp eye out for guitar based special editions of Computer Music as they often have some nice goodies included.

• Members

Some great ones have been mentioned already - Will is on top of things as usual - but some have not. I'll help :) Many of the plugins I'll reference here go beyond just guitar/bass usage, but they're an integral part of your virtual studio nonetheless. These are more tools that you will be able to use to achieve pro-quality results on a budget. We're lucky that there are so many GREAT programmers out there making software for free that matches or exceeds commercial products... It's really unbelievable, but true.

I'll start off with another guitar-specific plugin maker or two, then get to the broader stuff:

Nick Crow Lab 7170 and 8180 heads as well as Nick Crow Wagner Sharp MkII and Nick Crow Simple Guitar Combo - all of these feature skins by the well-loved community skinner Requietus, making them easy to use and nice to look at in addition to sounding amazing. Put the 7170 and 8180 heads up next to Peavey's ReValver MkIII 6505 and 6505+ heads, I think you'll begin to understand just how good freeware is these days

Auraplug Freetortion Series - Three dirt pedals, one great Digitech Whammy sim, and a knock-out Mesa high gain amp sim for free.

Togu Audio Line (TAL) Plugins - Some synth VSTis here that kick ass but the thing for guitarists are the effects. Very high quality freeware effects plugins. The TAL reverb is one of the best freeware reverbs, commercial quality.

Bootsie's amazing freeware at VarietyOfSound - Seriously, everything on this page could cost $99 a pop and it would be worth it. Of particular interest to instrumentalists should be EpicVerb, a fully-featured, sophisticated algorithmic reverb that absolutely competes with commercial software for sound quality; Density MkII, a compressor which is right up there with IKMM/UAD/SSL software for quality and works equally well as a tracking comp, a mixing comp, or a master bus comp to make everything "gel"; and BootEQ MkII, a "console" style channel strip preamp and EQ which, again, should be considered alongside commercial "character" EQs for sound quality.

GVST, a suite of plug-ins that includes utility plugins like a real-time, no latency chromatic tuner; modulation plugins including my favorite chorus plugin; a great, easy to use ducking delay plugin; compression plugins that are great tracking comps that behave more like traditional guitar compressor pedals; and more besides. A must-have for a guitarist or bassist's virtual studio, in my opinion.

Antress Modern suite, now in version 4.40; these plugins have a lot of mixing and mastering applications, but you will find them to be high quality and useful in whatever capacity you need them in. Between these and Bootsie's plugins, you might not even need anything else for mixing and mastering your own audio if you're on a tight budget (though I don't think we can master our own audio, frankly a big part of mastering is the other set of ears on the job, but let's call it "post-mix tinkering" - you can definitely do all the post-mix tinkering your heart desire's). His site's been getting hit hard the last few days since this is a recent update so keep trying if you can't get it to load. Well worth the wait!

KarmaFX.net's Plugin Pack 2.1 - Another set of high-quality tools, the real stand-out to my ears is the reverb which has an awesome, low-CPU Plate preset that with some slight tweaking sounds lovely for guitar. However in version 2.1 they are all great plugins. It never hurts to have the tools you need to get the job done - just like pedals are different in the physical world, different plugin makers do phasers, delay, etc. differently and you will find that you often prefer the character of this or that plugin over others for a specific task. Having a high-quality tool kit will let you get more professional sounding results, and this is another pro-quality pack that they're basically just giving away (donationware, so give them a few bucks via paypal if you like them and use them a lot, but they don't ever bug you to donate or anything - honor system).

Kjaerhus Audio's Classic Series - analog-flavored, high-quality true classics (no pun intended) of the freeware world. This is another "tool set" that you'll be glad to have around, because each plugin accomplishes its goal in a unique and colorful way that will be called for from time to time in your projects. These used to be pretty much THE best freeware plugins around, now they are among other more recent giants and so they don't shine as brightly but they are still excellent and worthy.

And finally, TinBrookTales' Plugins, I especially recommend those in the "new tbt plugins" folder. The Pocket Limiter was indispensable in my own mixing before I got T-Racks 3, and even with T-Racks 3's great Brickwall Master Limiter, I still reach for the TBT limiter sometimes for its unique and pleasant sound.

These tools should get you very far! Now all you need are ideas and the will to commit them to disk :D

• Members

Mostly work-flow considerations. A good system of categorization helps, and of course spending enough time with various types of plugins to get a feel for the sort of tool you need for a given task so that going in the tool-kit means just figuring out if you need this or that metric wrench, rather than looking helplessly on at a giant box of mixed appliances and wondering how in the hell you go from that to tightening a bolt.

• Members

I just realized that last reply was useless! Sorry!

To expand, the thing is that all of the software sounds different. It makes sense that it would, everyone's working from different starting points (whether schematics from this or that version of the amp, or from measuring the actual amp itself when as you probably know amps - especially older amps, but new ones too - can vary pretty substantially and so sound different even though they're the same model). Plus different companies' and individuals' modeling technology works differently so there are strengths and weaknesses to the various commercial packs.

The cool thing about using single VSTs is that you have easy control over every aspect of your signal routing, etc., and you are of course limited only by the wealth of plugins available to you (and I hope between the OP and my post, you won't find that much of a limit). So if you really like a certain amp model in a commercial software, but you want to use external IRs from a pack like Recabinet or a cab sim like Aradaz OUR Cabinet Simulator, but in between you want some chorus and delay, your options are wide open.

For an example... I prefer T-Racks 3 Singles' Opto-Comp as my guitar tracking compressor. It just warms things up nicely, flattens it and flatters it just a bit but without taking the edge off the sound or stomping on my playing dynamics overall. So I typically have that set first in the signal chain as its own VST. Are the compressors built-in with most software suites? Yeah, there are, but do I pick them over T-Racks 3 Opto-Comp? Not usually.

And as I mentioned above I happen to really like ducking delay and chorus from the GVST pack, so unless the software I'm working with at the time has particularly good chorus and a ducking delay then I'll use those external effects rather than the built-in stuff.

It all starts with what amp sound I want, though. That's where I make the first determination of what software I will use. Different strengths and weaknesses... different foci. Focuses. Spell-check redlines neither so I'm using both :D Whatever software has the amp sound I want right then is the first determining factor. The rest comes later.

• Members

I've asked for some help from the good folks at GuitarAmpModeling, and they've had a couple great suggestions so far. I've also added some more plugins to the list, things that I use regularly in my recording. I've already got more planned for inclusion on the list... It should end up being a comprehensive but not excessive or wasteful set of tools to give you the power you need without option overkill that can waste more time than anything else, all for free. I don't know why I didn't do this before, it fits right in with my blog. And I totally have the author of this thread to thank for getting me started on the idea (and Will, for getting HIM started on the idea - small world, boss!)

• Members

Thanks for the shout out Jeff.

To expand on general freeware plugs that get a ton of usage in my little project studio (though drifting from guitar only usage)...

I almost always start with digitalfishphones products for general compression. I only venture to paid products when I can't get what I need from them.

Kjaerhus Classic Master Limiter is always on the master bus set to -1 just to catch any transients peaks which slipped though the cracks.

When I need to dirty up something (more than just a little "warmth") like a synth or vocal, I load up SimulAnalog's Tube Screamer. 90% of the time it works great, especially on organ tracks that sound a little too pristine.

When I need reverb, I always load up SIR (the free version) and start with one of the many free impulses from Noisevault. Only when I can't find something I like do I move to paid apps.

• Members

Will, you should check out BTE's TubeScreamer'sSecret. It walks on the Simulanalog for authenticity. It's been the number one factor in me not having bought a Tubescreamer pedal, since I primarily record digitally and it spares me the necessity (well, and I've got a Tim for my physical chain, not a TS-type pedal but definitely the best low-gain OD I've ever used).

I've had some trouble with some peaks slipping beyond the Classic Master Limiter, although only when set too close to zero. Seems like it has a fairly soft knee. It does have a good sound when limiting, though, I bet it works well in your application. Check out TinBrookTales' Pocket Limiter if you're interested in branching out, it has an awesome sound (well, in that it doesn't sound like LIMITER ENGAGED at all) and an adjustable knee, as well as an intelligent limiting function which kicks arse.

• Members

Will, you should check out BTE's TubeScreamer'sSecret. It walks on the Simulanalog for authenticity. It's been the number one factor in me not having bought a Tubescreamer pedal, since I primarily record digitally and it spares me the necessity (well, and I've got a Tim for my physical chain, not a TS-type pedal but definitely the best low-gain OD I've ever used).

I've had some trouble with some peaks slipping beyond the Classic Master Limiter, although only when set too close to zero. Seems like it has a fairly soft knee. It does have a good sound when limiting, though, I bet it works well in your application. Check out TinBrookTales' Pocket Limiter if you're interested in branching out, it has an awesome sound (well, in that it doesn't sound like LIMITER ENGAGED at all) and an adjustable knee, as well as an intelligent limiting function which kicks arse.

Yeah you mentioned BTE's TubeScreamer'sSecret before, need to grab that one. As far as Classic Master Limiter, I've never had anything slip. Then again, I usually have compressors on track groups and at times another comp on the master bus. So I'm not using it to squash broadly, only capture anything as a last effort to prevent clipping. I'm not into overtly hard brick wall limiting personally and on the sparce projects I do nobody's asked me for it yet. I had Pocket Limiter, good rec, but last time I switched machines I dumped a ton of VSTs which were dups for ones in my collection.

• Members

Well, consider this - intersample peaks can occur when program material is near the 0dB threshold, GREATLY exacerbated when converting to lossy formats. Converting something that's been slammed to the very limit to Mp3 can all of a sudden give you tons of peaks that didn't exist in the original waveform.

I don't slam anything to the wall, but even so I always make sure on my limiter the first thing I do is give a -2dB cut going into the limiter (and this is after listening to the project to ensure that it has sufficient dynamic range and isn't clipping anywhere) and then make the ceiling -1.5dB. No problem with intersample peaks then. I figure if people want it louder, they can raise the volume on their playback system, and I can be sure to avoid any problems with my audio and with the conversion process.

I suspect that my problems with the Classic Master Limiter were the result of amateurish mistakes that I made early on when recording combined with the fact that it doesn't implement any kind of A/D protection or anything like that (in other words, it doesn't hold your hand if you insist on mixing foolishly) :lol:

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Wow, the freeware options have really exploded just in the last 2 or 3 years. For a very long time, the SimulAnalog JCM 900 sim has been the gold standard for high gain amp sims, let alone freeware ones, so I'll have to check out these johnny-come-latelies, especially the Auraplug ones. Anyone else here mainly interested in high gain stuff? Well, thanks for the links!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived