Introducing Gibson's Dusk Tiger: A World Premiere!!

Anderton

• Members

Great marketing idea.

There must 1000 guitar playing Siegried & Roy fans who simply MUST have this guitar.

siegfried_roy_tiger_1_r.jpg

Of course it will be called "Snow Tiger" and ship Summer 2010, to celebrate the bug free 64bit R.I.P. drivers - Each guitar will come with a signed letter of intent that each guitar will be bug free and have at minimum at least 60% of the features described in the press release.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Elantric, I am well accustomed to strong opinions on the net but you seem to have some special enmity toward Gibson, you've ceaselessly hammered on what you think are flaws and worked in a whole mess of direct digs at the company in the process, gaining steam as you've riffed on. May I ask what, if any relationship you have or have had to Gibson, and to their competitors, in the interests of full disclosure? If you're just someone who really, really hates Gibson then I suppose that is what it is, a lot of us are scratching our heads at their decisions lately but you've gone well beyond that to the nearest forums equivalent of eye-gouging and hitting them with chairs and ladders, it's left me wondering if there's some reason.

• Members

it's left me wondering if there's some reason.

Sure,

I purchased a Dark Fire last year, assuming Gibson was a straight up company and would deliver all the promised features - read earlier in this thread.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=2481384

From personal experience, i have found I'm dealing with a company that routinely ignores its prior customers, and makes promises they cant deliver - then brings out a new model that addresses the prior version's flaws, and then tells its customers to "just buy the new model".

All Dark Fire Fire owners were promised the availability of a Dark Fire RIP to Roland GK13 pin cable, and a Software configuration tool to adjust the PU coils and Parametric EQ. Despite repeated inquires all year, Gibson has failed to provide a delivery date for our RIP to Roland 13pin adapter cable.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Dark-Fire/Features.aspx

Now here we are one year later, we have this new model, Dusk Tiger - boasting to include the missing Dark Fire Features, while there remains no official word from Gibson that these items (Roland Cable, Configuration Tool) will ever be made available to their Dark Fire customers.

To sum up:

Last year I believed all the the sales information here:

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Dark-Fire/Features.aspx

I assumed the Dark Fire would be able to drive my VG-99 using the RIP to Roland cable mentioned here:

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Dark-Fire/Features.aspx#TB_inline?height=400&width=600&inlineId=Feature12&modal=false

I wrote the check for the Dark Fire, and found myself in a personal quest for most of 2009 to debug and find out why Gibson could not deliver the guitar I thought I purchased, based on their product description.

http://www.futureguitarnow.com/forum/index.php?action=downloads;sa=downfile&id=29

For the past year, Dark Fire owners have been waiting for the RIP to Roland adapter cable and the Config Tool application to tweak our internal Parametric EQ and PU coils, to actually use the promised "Chameleon Tones" .

The reality is Dark Fire owners' have been repeatedly told that no information is available , or that the development of these accessories has been canceled or "on hold"

http://www.futureguitarnow.com/forum/index.php?topic=289.0

So now we have the Dusk Tiger, which includes the missing Dark Fire Config Tool and RIP to Roland 13 pin Cable - and Gibson cant supply an answer regarding if/when these will be available to Dark Fire owners.

That's my principal gripe. If there's any interest, more of my story is here:

http://www.futureguitarnow.com/forum/index.php?topic=206.0

Basically when I see this

Dusk Tiger

This video below sums up my reaction

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2zihj_frank-zappa-cosmik-debris_music

Some may think I'm just a "wild nut" - but somehow I feel obligated to aid my fellow guitarist and provide a warning where I can,

in keeping with the helpful Harmony-Central User reviews.

==

I would enjoy hearing from Gibson a confirmation that Dark Fire owners may purchase the RIP to Roland 13 pin adapter cable, and the status of a Dark Fire compatible Configuration Tool Application.

• Members

I didn't call you a wild nut, and wouldn't, I just wanted to better understand the bone you've got to pick with Gibson. Sounds like Dark Fire owners got screwed pretty damned bad and doubly so with their promised features never materializing until now, with a new, $5K product. You having been one of them I can understand how that would leave you with a bitter taste in your mouth.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Update time...

I have a Dusk Tiger here for evaluation and patch design, and I gotta say, it's very cool. The electronics are really clean, and it's super-playable. It doesn't really look like the photos - the light part of the grain is darker, not that kind of yellowish tint in the photos, and the pickguard blends in more than I thought. The clickstream is much less complex than Dark Fire, and yes, it does ship with the 13-pin cable.

Speaking of which...I got a follow-up from Gibson that the cable would be available to Dark Fire owners "very soon." Apparently they have them in stock now.

As to what's novel about the piezo pickup, there's nothing novel about using a piezo pickup to get hex outs, but what's unusual with Dusk Tiger (and Dark Fire) is how they're multiplexed the outs down a standard stereo 1/4" cable.

I recorded some noodling with it and will edit to clips I can post here.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Thank You Gibson for responding with a timetable for the the Dark Fire Hex to 13pin cable, and replacement batteries.

Now we wait for the firmware upgrade for use with the Tone Editor.

http://www2.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/Blogs/Gibson-USA.aspx

Robot and Dark Fire Guitars

Gibson USA is pleased to announce replacement items for first generation Robots and Dark Fire as early as January 2010. We have to work through details on all of the components and then we will make them available to you.

We will have the Robot Battery, Power Plug Adapter, Robot Charger, RIP hex to MIDI Cable, Dark Fire Battery Pack, Dark Fire Charger/Split Box and the Dark Fire Transformer/Power Adapter available soon. These components will be available to replace existing equipment which may have failed or was unavailable at the time of purchase.

We will also be making the PowerHead Tuners, MCK Knob, CPUs and Dark Fire System Poti available as well. However, these components will need to be installed at our Service Centers. These products require special handling due to the electronics.

For those of you wanting to upgrade your first generation robot guitars, we are working on a package to do just that. The current challenges involve making new electronics that fit the original guitars. The new tuners developed for Dark Fire required a significant change to the form of the original robot guitar which we knew would not please our customers. With some new electronics modifications, we have overcome those challenges.

We are preparing some prototypes in the factory now. As we go through this process, I will update the blog and keep you in the loop.

Happy Holidays to you and yours from Gibson USA!

• Members
Thank You Gibson for responding with a timetable for the the Dark Fire Hex to 13pin cable, and replacement batteries.

Now we wait for the firmware upgrade for use with the Tone Editor.

I have tested it and successfully updated my Dark Fire to the Dusk Tiger clickstream :thu:

From what I understand, the thing that's holding it up is a utility so that if someone doesn't like the Dusk Tiger clickstream, they can revert to the original Dark Fire.

So, it's on its way...

I'm really slammed right now with HC 2.0 so can't get too involved, but Dusk Tiger has exceeded expectations.

• Members
I have tested it and successfully updated my Dark Fire to the Dusk Tiger clickstream
:thu:

From what I understand, the thing that's holding it up is a utility so that if someone doesn't like the Dusk Tiger clickstream, they can revert to the original Dark Fire.

So, it's on its way...

I'm really slammed right now with HC 2.0 so can't get too involved, but Dusk Tiger has exceeded expectations.

Thanks for the information Mr Anderton it is much appreciated.

Does this mean you can use the Chameleon Editor software with your Dark Fire now the DF's MCK can use the updated Dusk Tiger clickstream?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Yes! Gibson RIP to Roland 13 pin cables are now on sale !

Call Gibson and Order one

i just ordered two!

http://store.gibson.com/Products/Robot-Parts/Generation-2/RIP-Hex-to-MIDI-Cable.aspx

RIP Hex to MIDI Cable - Generation 2
The RIP Hex to MIDI Cable is a standard Roland compatible, RoHS compliant, 10-foot braided shield cable. 9 Pin (Male), MINI DIN to 13 Pin (Male) DIN
$14.99 /ea

http://store.gibson.com/Products/Robot-Parts.aspx

• Members

You know, I'm not so great looking myself. It's possible that the Dusk Tiger is the guitar for me, you know, I sound like a million dollars but look like the paneling on a suburban 1950s tract home. You get the idea!

This is the guitar for the rest of us! The non beautiful!

Thinking about it: I think the Dusk Tiger is kind of like the iPad - it's going to be the type of thing you need to see and touch in person to REALLY get it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

My daughter says it's the tackiest guitar she's ever seen that still looks cool :)

I still have mixed emotions about it. Dark Fire is a much more dignified guitar, but there's something about Dusk Tiger that makes me take chances in my playing - it's almost like playing a guitar like that lets me throw out the rule book.

The sound is gorgeous, clean...love the electronics. I also really like the user-replaceable battery.

One thing about the look is that it really comes into its own under stage lighting. To me, Dark Fire is more like a studio guitar, and Dusk Tiger is more for live performance. But it's a guitar, so...YMMV!

• Members

Oh i "get it" - its still too damn ugly for my taste.

Just watched the video - what's the point if you can't hear what it does?!? You can't get an idea of what these guitars are about without hearing the hex outs through processors...well, at least that's my favorite part of the whole thing...that and the Robot Tuning.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Update: The Chameleon Editor for modifying presets (mag pickup EQ and configuration, Piezo EQ, etc.) has been released and works really well. It can also update a Dark Fire to the Dusk Tiger operating system, and let you use the Editor with Dark Fire presets.

I've attached a screen shot (first attached image) to give an idea of how it works.

1) This is the Library, where you can store a virtually unlimited number of presets.
2) This section displays individual Banks. You drag presets from the Library into a Bank to create a custom set of presets that reside in the guitar.
3) The tuning editor is where you can program tunings. These aren't transferred immediately to the guitar, you have to load the preset and tune the guitar before you hear the results.
4) This section edits the EQ and pickup configuration. If you click on the EQ, it brings up an editing screen (shown in the second attached image). You can hear magnetic pickup edits in real time, but for the Piezo pickup, you have to click on a "listen" button to hear the results of any edits.

It's really very cool.... :)

• Members

This whole thing would seem to require an upwardly mobile adult income to afford but a immature/teen aesthetic to appreciate. :poke:

Onward Gibson. Cool project to move technology along I suppose.

• Members

The Chameleon Editor for modifying presets (mag pickup EQ and configuration, Piezo EQ, etc.)
has been released
and works really well.

Define "RELEASED" ? We are all awaiting Gibson to release this important Dark Fire update to the masses.

Until it is listed here,(Dark Fire downloads)

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Dark-Fire/Software.aspx

or here (Dusk Tiger Downloads):

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Dusk-Tiger/Software.aspx

I would NOT call this a "Release".

Craig, If its indeed available, Please provide a Download link for this Chameleon Editor that updates the Dark Fire?

The Dark Fire remains an incomplete project without this important Chameleon Editor, which we Dark Fire owners have been waiting 14 months now.

The current Chameleon Tone Editor is Ver. 1.06 and appears to lack any Dark Fire Upgrade ability.

http://webvirtual:8080/Media/DuskTiger/Software/SetupGibsonChameleonEditor_1-0-6-exe.aspx

The other Question is - How does a Dark Fire Owner revert to Dark Fire Firmware if he does not like the Dusk Tiger way of doing things with the new firmware?

• Members

Steve - You are right, I jumped the gun...it's been released for posting, but there's a lag until it gets on the site. My bad; I didn't check the site first. But, it should only be a matter of days until it gets up there. I'll check back in a few days and if it's not up, I'll nudge a few people and see what happens.

I did upgrade the Dark Fire and I must say, it's disorienting at first because my "muscle memory" sees that red guitar and wants to do certain things (especially since I've been doing them for over a year). But overall, I do think the new OS is easier to use.

The question about "downgrading" Dark Fire OS is very relevant. From what I understand, a standalone utility will be available for upgrading/downgrading Dark Fire if you don't like the new clickstream. It's been written, but the downgrading process has some issues and anything that messes with the firmware has to be 100% reliable. Don't know much more beyond that, but I am in touch with Echo (who are doing the utility) and have been assured it's well on its way.

It would have been nice if all this stuff had been available at launch (I don't have to tell YOU that!!!!) but I have to say, I do respect that the company is making good on their promises, however late, particularly because in quite a few cases the final product was better than promised. For example, I don't think the 1.0.6 editor allows real-time auditioning of magnetic pickup configurations and EQ, but the 1.0.9 version does. This is huge for me, I don't like having to click on "listen" to hear the results of edits. The piezo is still non-real time, but I can cope with that...I'm not as interested in EQing it, and there are no configuration options for it anyway.

Again, sorry for the premature announcement but the fact that it's working here and the software has been submitted means it's not long before it's posted on the site. Sometimes I forget that I get the software before anyone else because they know I'll beat it up and complain if there are problems :) So far so good, though.

Also - I just found a new feature today when I was playing with it, there's a button that opens up the patch library folder as if you had clicked on a desktop folder. This makes it really easy to backup patches but more importantly, trade patches with others.

As these add-ones trickle in, I get into the guitar more and more. It's about more than just hex outs now for me.

• Members

This whole thing would seem to require an upwardly mobile adult income to afford but a immature/teen aesthetic to appreciate. :poke:

Onward Gibson. Cool project to move technology along I suppose.

It IS expensive, no doubt about it. But once you've played the hex outputs through amp sims in a computer-based setup, it's a whole other world. As someone who doubles on guitar and keyboards, the whole Dark Fire/Dusk Tiger thing gives me a way to do something that resembles the split and layer effects that can be done with keyboards, but without having to go the MIDI route. Other guitars can do that, but not necessarily with separate magnetic and piezo outs too. And for the first time in decades of playing guitar, I actually use alternate tunings...

Archived