Axe-FX software question

donsimon76

• Members

I have a rack system and have gone through many iterations of stuff in it and other equipment. I originally built the rack thinking I was going to give up all of my 100-watt heads and live mostly out of the rack. I had an Axe-FX standard at one point but decided to go all tube preamps and sold the Axe-FX. Since then I have sold all of my 100-watt heads, but have grown unhappy with my rack and now have a bunch of lower wattage heads and combos that make me pretty happy. I am actually thinking now that I want to convert my rack back over to an Axe-FX preamp again going into my Mesa 20/20 EL84 poweramp.

My one question is has the Axe-FX software gotten better? It was just released in beta when I sold my original Axe-FX and it was very frustrating and not intuitive. I had dealt with Line 6 software and Vox Tonelab software and both are very intuitive. The Axe-FX software was extremely confusing when dealing with moving patches and such. My rack sits next to my computer and I really like using the computer to be able to have a visual interface to tweak settings.

Has it gotten better?

Thanks!

• Members

I just got the Standard used about 2 weeks ago, and Axe Edit to adjust the sounds. It's working pretty good. I've only used the V9.0 version so I can't say if it's better then it was.
I'd say it's pretty close to the line 6 editor, maybe more options but still slightly glitchy as they call it a beta release, it's solid for a beta.
I suspect they are still updating and I'd think the kinks would be ironed out.
I love the sound of this thing, I had a X3 Live for and always found I was tweaking the sounds to get them to cut through.
With the Ax I'm done mixing in no time.
No one is taking this thing from my hands!

Later

• Members

The editor software got a huge bump recently. It no longer looks like an amateur Photoshop doodle and performance is a lot better too. Still some things don't work but mostly it works fine.

Instead of using the Mesa poweramp, I recommend you get yourself an Atomic FR because with that you can use the poweramp and cab sims on the Axe-Fx. They make a huge difference in how different tones you can get out of it.

• Members

The editor software got a huge bump recently. It no longer looks like an amateur Photoshop doodle and performance is a lot better too. Still some things don't work but mostly it works fine.

Ah, so is it starting to look like something that would be used with an item costing $1,400? I had spent a lot of time with the Line 6 software that comes with POD XT's and X3's that you can pick up under $300 and the software is great. You get my concern?

• Members

Absolutely. I outlined the various usability flaws I found in the previous editor version and some of them still stand, but in general the software is better now. You can try it without owning an Axe-Fx, it'll run just fine so check it out yourself. The main thing missing right now is a half-decent preset manager.

• Members

Absolutely. I outlined the various usability flaws I found in the previous editor version and some of them still stand, but in general the software is better now. You can try it without owning an Axe-Fx, it'll run just fine so check it out yourself. The main thing missing right now is a half-decent preset manager.

I remember the preset manager was a nightmare.

• 1 month later...

Archived