Pod X3 Live Effects Loop

JSRocker

• Members

Ok, I have a question...

I've got a Line 6 Pod X3 Live. I've been primarily using it for practice purposes, but I was fiddling around with it the other day and realized how much control I could have on things like reverb and delay, and I like some of the mod effects. In my current rig, when I need to change delay or reverb types, I have to reach down and tweak all of the knobs. I was thinking about just setting a few different patches (with amp mods off) for different sorts of sounds (lots of U2 type delay, or just a little bit with 'verb, or one with filter sounds, etc) and then run my other pedals in the effects loop of the x3.

I got it set up and initially, I loved how it sounded, the delay was just what I was looking for, and cutting out about 3 pedals and associated cable, my guitar had a clearer sound. All was fine and dandy till I needed OD/distortion. My drives sounded sort of hollow and lifeless... I had to adjust the position of the loop in the chain on the X3 (which sort of defeated the purpose of what I was doing with the Wah and compression) The distortion sounded more like what I expected it to, but it just couldn't cut through the mix anymore.

Does anyone have any tips on making this work? I'm sure some people out there have tried this before. I'd also like some understanding of why my OD & Distortion sounded so different in the loop on the X3.

I currently run: Guitar>Tuner>TS9DX>Fulldrive2MSFT>LPB-1>EB Vol jr>Echo Park Delay>Hardwire Reverb>AC15CC1

I was trying to run Guitar>L6X3 Wah,Stomp,Comp,EQ>LoopOut>TS9DX>Fulldrive2MSFT>LPB-1>LoopIn>L6X3 Mod, Delay, Verb>AC15CC1

Any help would be appreciated! (I'm also posting this in Effects Forum)

• Members

I'm running an X3 Pro. What works for me is running the distortion or overdrive pedals in front of the unit, just like I do with an amp. For example guitar -> DS-1 -> POD. I also wouldn't hesitate to throw a compressor in front of the POD.

I use a KP3 Kaoss Pad and Alesis ModFX units in the loop and they sound great there. Of course, YMMV.

• Members

I'm running an X3 Pro. What works for me is running the distortion or overdrive pedals in front of the unit, just like I do with an amp. For example guitar -> DS-1 -> POD. I also wouldn't hesitate to throw a compressor in front of the POD.

I use a KP3 Kaoss Pad and Alesis ModFX units in the loop and they sound great there. Of course, YMMV.

i agree.....run your dirt/boost/compressor style pedals IN FRONT of the X3 Live.........should work well that way.

i'm waiting on an X3 Live right now, and will be running:

dirt pedals and boosters and compressor discrete pedals >>> Pod X3 Live >>> Line 6 M9 for time based FX.

it's a lot of stuff, for sue....but since i do a lot of different gigs from metal to top 40 to weddings to island music....i need to have a lot of sounds!

Archived