multiple amp question help

boogie1967

• Members

Hey guys

I posted this in the amps section as well.

I have several tube amps that I will be running at once. All will be controlled via a Voodoo labs GCX system. I realize I will probably have some ground loop issues.

Will the rackmount ebtech hum eliminator help with these issues or do they suck tone. I will be using the ebtech before the input of each amp running, or is there another way to battle the beast, like maybe the ART T8...

I have seen the VL amp switchers which have the ground break built in, but I will be running 8 at once, and need a little more control over which ones are on and sequencing of amps in use. (this is not a live rig if you have not guessed already) I am a amp addict and always thought it would sound awesome to run em all at once.

one amp will be for clean and the others stay distorted, so I dont worry about channel switching on the amps, I will just change amps.

Thanks for the help or ideas

Lee

• Members

Why would you think there would be hum issues? I've run dual amps with split stereo simulators like echos and chorus units of all kinds for years and never had hum problems.

It is an issue if the amps dont have grounded plugs and have a polarity switch. If thats the case, I'd get them modified for the grounded plug and remove the polarity switch. Beyond that an isolation transformer/line filter are the best insurance for a rig playing out. It isolates the power from all the bad wiring and beat up outlets you plug into on stages at clubs. It also helps to filter the noise from bad dimmers and TV screens that emit EMF.

• Members

Yea wait till you see if theres an issue first. much of it can depend on how you're driving the amps too.

I've used stereo chorus pedals, Stereo echo pedals, and stereo rack units like I'm using now. and not experienced any problems. I do run a direct line off my marshall head recording. I have a speaker emulated line out I use. If I have my recording rig on one outlet, and the amps on another I can have ground loop issues if I'm not careful. This can cause hum recording or in the amp if I'm not careful. I get around it by using a power filter that isolates the amp grounds. This isnt an uncommon occurance though. Its no different than having a PA on a different loop and getting a shock off the mic.

Archived