Roland GR-30/33 question: Anyone using one of these for soft synths?

Polaris20

• Members

I'm quite pleased with how this unit is working in terms of tracking with the internal sounds, and I was going to head over to GC today to get a MIDI to USB device for use with soft synths.

Is anyone doing this? How well does it work, in terms of tracking speed/accuracy/glitchyness?

• Members

I'm quite pleased with how this unit is working in terms of tracking with the internal sounds, and I was going to head over to GC today to get a MIDI to USB device for use with soft synths.

Is anyone doing this? How well does it work, in terms of tracking speed/accuracy/glitchyness?

One thing I've noticed with the Gr-33 is that when u try to use it to control other MIDI units it seems to be preset monophonic vs poly (which makes no sense considering its usage as a synth).

First you have to change or program the global settings and midi channels, or you could luck out and it syncs up great with your system. But there are some slight lag when tracking and you also might find out some of the velocity/touch is off as well. Those can be fixed, once again, with a little programming and/or some change to your technique while using the synth.

• Members

I have a GR33 (and used to have a GR30). I haven't used them with soft synths, but I can say that with triggering external hardware synths the tracking was not as good and more prone to glitches. It can also depend on what kind of sounds you are using. Most of the sounds I use guitar synth for are atmospheric ambient pads, so tracking is less of an issue than playing a lot of fast notes or chord changes.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

If you want to use an external synth a Roland GI 10 or GI 20 is the best way to go if you cannot afford an axon ax 100.

The GR 30 or 33 series was designed for use with their internal sounds....which track decently, but have glitches when you try to hook it up to another synth.

Not to mention you have to internally set it up for the synth you want to use... and it does not track as well as the internal sounds.

You can get a Roland GI 10 for pretty cheap on places like ebay.

• Members

Aren't guitarsynths a escapism for not playing standard guitars?

Aren't they sort of GAS...

You couldn't score or make it on MTV...so now you're indulging in more technology stuff?

Although i own also a guitarsynth, i must admit:facepalm:.

• Members

You couldn't score or make it on MTV...so now you're indulging in more technology stuff?

NO. If you think that, you need some education on what guitar synths are about. They are NOT MEANT TO REPLACE THE GUITAR!

Where in the world you got that idiotic notion from I don't know, but it is totally wrong.

Synth guitar is totally different from regular guitar in that not just any idiot can play it that plays regular guitar. There is a learning curve involved to play it properly.

It is harder to learn the nuances of MIDI guitar than regular guitar. That is why they are not as popular. You cannot just pick up one and do van halen licks on it and expect it to mimic the acoustic instrument you are trying to play..... horns would be a good example of this.

And I and most here that play synth guitar are not trying to "make it" in anything , where you got that from, I also do not know. But you are wrong, period.

• Members

you're confusing Guitar Hero with MIDI guitar dude.

• Members

I have a GR33 (and used to have a GR30). I haven't used them with soft synths, but I can say that with triggering external hardware synths the tracking was not as good and more prone to glitches. It can also depend on what kind of sounds you are using. Most of the sounds I use guitar synth for are atmospheric ambient pads, so tracking is less of an issue than playing a lot of fast notes or chord changes.

Right. As a guitar player I would just to use then to trigger higher quality string patches or pads. Had a GR-20. The tracking was spotty/inconsistent. But if you have one of those godin guitars with the pickup built in you will get better and more consistent sounds. I can't even find a GR-33!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmImlKnkQ3k

• Members

Tell that to THIS GUY! :facepalm:

[YOUTUBE]ApI-zA6suXE[/YOUTUBE]

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I just saw this; pure comedy gold! You've got absolutely no idea what you're talking about. There's no correlation between MIDI guitar and a damn game, dude. Metheny, McLaughlin, Belew, and others have been using guitar synths for YEARS.

Archived