HAs anyone had experience with a Duncan JB in the bridge?

lowroadrevival

• Members

Originally posted by lowroadrevival

I am thinking about throwing "Seymour's favorite" combo in my Les Paul, that is the Jazz neck and JB bridge. I am a bit concerned that seymour and I may not have the same tastes in music though. Can anyone tell me about the JB ?

IS it shrill? Too high endy? Will it give me tight fat low end and low mids? Can it hold it's own with overdriven tube amps like a 140 watt orange? I dont want muddy, I dont want ice pick, just smooth, tight and fat.

For reference my favorite pickup to date was a Duncan Custom custom SH-11 bridge.

I like Duncan's favorite combo. I have the Jazz Neck and the JB Bridge on this guitar.

21302318_l.jpg

Very good combo. I don't think the bridge is shrill at all. Yes the blood on it DOES mean the pickups rock hard!

• Members

The covered versions sound great in mahogany guitars. Sort of like a Super Distortion with less box and more bite. In a maple-capped guitar they're very upper-mid, NWOBHM, Euro-metal sounding which may be why some people hate them.

• Members

Originally posted by AF-100

The covered versions sound great in mahogany guitars. Sort of like a Super Distortion with less box and more bite. In a maple-capped guitar they're very upper-mid, NWOBHM, Euro-metal sounding which may be why some people hate them.

Aha, that might be the problem. I've tried them in Les Pauls only. And I hate Euro-metal.

taco

• Members

Originally posted by papa taco

Aha, that might be the problem. I've tried them in Les Pauls only. And I hate Euro-metal.

taco

AHA! That may be a problem for me. This would be going in a Les paul...hmmm. Maybe I better not go with a JB then. Extreme upper mids is what I am trying to avoid.

My les Paul:

th_MyLesPaul.jpg

• Members

The JB is modern -- Jerry Cantrell used a bridge JB on all the Alice in Chians albums

The JB is NOT a vintage PAF or hot PAF sound -- PAFs hot or vintage have a lot more bass response and a different midrange quality

I would not recommend the JB if your looking for AC/DC or EVH sounds

AC/DC is '59 all the way

EVH I'd recommend the Duncan Custom or Custom Custom

Dude go to the duncan website and listen for yourself

(http://www.seymourduncan.com) there are sound clips of all the pickups

• Members

Originally posted by confused

The JB is modern -- Jerry Cantrell used a bridge JB on all the Alice in Chians albums

The JB is NOT a vintage PAF or hot PAF sound -- PAFs hot or vintage have a lot more bass response and a different midrange quality

I would not recommend the JB if your looking for AC/DC or EVH sounds

AC/DC is '59 all the way

EVH I'd recommend the Duncan Custom or Custom Custom

Dude go to the duncan website and listen for yourself

(
http://www.seymourduncan.com
) there are sound clips of all the pickups

Ahhh...that's what I was looking for. I think I'll go with the custom custom and 59 in the neck option. :)

Thanks for the help!

Now the real question..the imortant stuff..

Zebras or all black in this:

th_MyLesPaul.jpg

• Members

Ahhh...that's what I was looking for. I think I'll go with the custom custom and 59 in the neck option.
:)

Thanks for the help!

Now the real question..the imortant stuff..

Zebras or all black in this:

th_MyLesPaul.jpg

Zebra is gay. My JB was zebra. It sits in a little used guitar acting all pretty but sounding like upper mid harshbitch.

t

a

c

o

• Members

Originally posted by papa taco

Zebra is gay. My JB was zebra. It sits in a little used guitar acting all pretty but sounding like upper mid harshbitch.

t

a

c

o

Yeah...{censored} those zebras. Zebras say to me..

"LOOK! I HAVE INSTALLED CUSTOM PICKUPS".

Not really what I'm going for. I don't know what I was thinking. Basic black it is.

• 5 months later...
  • Members

hey Lowroad, what did you get?

I got a Cort Viva Gold II today which has a soft maple body (no cap) and I'm thinking of replacing the Mighty Mite humbuckers (that are in it stock and sound pretty thin) with either one of these:

Bridge:

SD JB

SD Custom Custom

DiMarzio Norton

DiMarzio Super Distortion

Neck:

SD Jazz

SD Pearly Gates

SD '59

DiMarzio Air Norton

I want them to be coil-tappable, have a fat, yet tight low-end, clean has to be CLEAN, and if it can sound a tad vintage-ish, and still be able to do heavy metal/speed metal, all the better.

My tone is all about definition, clarity and punch.

I'm leaning the most towards the Custom Custom/Jazz combo right now...

• Members

jesus...this thread is eons old. BTW I wound up going with the custom custom and 59 in the neck. It's beautiful.

Lowroad, how's the Custom Custom and what kind of guitar is it in?

I think a JB with a bit tamed highs and phatter low-end would be the ticket in my Cort Viva Gold, so does the Custom Custom fit that bill?

Archived