Fender Twin 65 Reissue or Roland JC-120

KjStrat62

• Members

Sorry I'm late, and glad to hear you chose the JC120.

For a VG-88 setup, it's going to sound much more full and hi-fi than a Twin would. Especially if you're using som eof the wilder patches/effects that generate mutliple octaves.

The JC120 can't be beat for cleans, and for reproducing broader freq ranges. It's not quite a "full freq range" amp, but it's close. Often used as a keyboard amp for this reason.

Rock on. And switch that chorus on every now and then and experience the bliss. :)

Dig

• Members

Originally posted by UncleDig

Sorry I'm late, and glad to hear you chose the JC120.

For a VG-88 setup, it's going to sound much more full and hi-fi than a Twin would. Especially if you're using som eof the wilder patches/effects that generate mutliple octaves.

The JC120 can't be beat for cleans, and for reproducing broader freq ranges. It's not quite a "full freq range" amp, but it's close. Often used as a keyboard amp for this reason.

Rock on. And switch that chorus on every now and then and experience the bliss.
:)

Dig

Dig

I know the cleans will be outstanding with the VG88. My concern would be the distortion sounds with the JC-120 using the VG88 distortions. I hope it does not sound too ss. But really I have never found a distortion or od that i like so this may not be to much of a chance.But then again i could use the chorus stereo mode to justify things a bit.

• Members

Originally posted by KjStrat62

Dig

I know the cleans will be outstanding with the VG88. My concern would be the distortion sounds with the JC-120 using the VG88 distortions. I hope it does not sound too ss. But really I have never found a distortion or od that i like so this may not be to much of a chance.But then again i could use the chorus stereo mode to justify things a bit.

The VG-88 will do all of the work for you, so the JC-120 should be in a position to just amplify the final signal, without too much overdrive or distortion happening in the amp. The thing has miles of clean headroom.

It takes pedals well, but not when you are trying to overdrive the JC120 like you would a tube amp. As long as your od/dist is handled without needing an extra stage of preamp work, it will sound great.

I often use a Roland GP-100 into a JC-120, and it sounds amazing (and yes, I'm kind of a tube snob) :)

Dig

• Members

The VG-88 will do all of the work for you, so the JC-120 should be in a position to just amplify the final signal, without too much overdrive or distortion happening in the amp. The thing has miles of clean headroom.

It takes pedals well, but not when you are trying to overdrive the JC120 like you would a tube amp. As long as your od/dist is handled without needing an extra stage of preamp work, it will sound great.

I often use a Roland GP-100 into a JC-120, and it sounds amazing (and yes, I'm kind of a tube snob)

Dig

That was my exact after thought. The VG88 will provide the ground work. The amp will simply amplify!!Thankd for your input

• Members

I think you're friend feels good about his Crate... but doesn't know what the hell he's talking about :)

The chorus on the JC-120 is so spacious and good because it is true stereo, with the signal being modulated between two separate 60 watt power amps. Depends on your definition of "good" - but that's about as sweet as it gets.

No one has even mentioned the vibrato yet, but used sparingly, it's another of the JC's cool features.

I own 2 1980s model JC-120s. I've never played through a Crate. Maybe I'm biased...

I'd bet a 6 pack of good beer that if you heard the Roland and the Crate side by side, you'd laugh at your friend ;)

Dig

• Members

I think you're friend feels good about his Crate... but doesn't know what the hell he's talking about

The chorus on the JC-120 is so spacious and good because it is true stereo, with the signal being modulated between two separate 60 watt power amps. Depends on your definition of "good" - but that's about as sweet as it gets.

No one has even mentioned the vibrato yet, but used sparingly, it's another of the JC's cool features.

I own 2 1980s model JC-120s. I've never played through a Crate. Maybe I'm biased...

I'd bet a 6 pack of good beer that if you heard the Roland and the Crate side by side, you'd laugh at your friend
;)

Dig

nah you not biased at all IMHO. I use a old ampeg ss-140c which also has stereo chorus (or vibrato if depth is set really high) that sound great. But I really like the jc-120 better. I have heard most of the crates out there and they are sounding better every year, but never have I ever heard any single speaker cab that sounds better then a stereo chorus (let alone a crate).

If you can find a ampeg ss-140c you might like it better, it also got a bright toggle switch that makes it shimmer very nice. IHMO the jc-120 is better

• Members

I often use a Roland GP-100 into a JC-120, and it sounds amazing (and yes, I'm kind of a tube snob)

Dig

I have used a Tonebone Classic through both JC-120 (rented) and my own JC-77 and they both sound really satisfying.

• Members

I think you're friend feels good about his Crate... but doesn't know what the hell he's talking about

I'd bet a 6 pack of good beer that if you heard the Roland and the Crate side by side, you'd laugh at your friend
;)

Ditto

Dig

• 5 months later...
  • Members

I have both an 80's roland jc120 and a 70's fender twin. If i could only have one in my house i would have the fender. But if i were taking it on the road the fender is very heavy weightwise, mine seems almost twice as heavey as the roland. Not just heavey but uncomfortably heavey. The jc is very clean. Both are very loud!!!

• Members

Rock on. And switch that chorus on every now and then and experience the bliss.

Dig

eeeeeeh I don't know if it's the best clean amp. I've used a Lab Series L5 for years and the mixture of the Moog Filter and the compressor allow me to dial out some great cleans.

My guitar player uses a JC-120 sometimes and yeah it's load and clear, but I always get fatigued after playing about twenty minutes of Beebaa solos.

• Members

Originally posted by SASQUATCH

Go with whichever one sounds best to you.

They are both good amps, and as mentioned they both have pro's & con's. I play a Fender tube amp (USA Hot Rod Deville 2x12)

and I can vouch for the fact that Fender amps take pedals very well.

Since this post I opted for another amp which I have have had for a while now. A Fender Vibroverb 63 RI. No complaints here hence no more amp post!!!

Archived