El Cheapo

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by Charmless

Had it. Wasn't too into it. Effective advertising tho
;)

Was it not lush enough, a one-trick pony, unstable, too big for your board, etc? Inquiring minds want to know. :o:)

• Members

Currently I have an orginial EHX Deluxe Electric Mistress, a Danelectro Hash Browns, a DOD Bass Flanger and a Korg Flanger that's part of the PME-40X multi-effects thing (old analog multi-effects with swappable modules, not a digital multi). I purchased them each for
I think I like the Korg best. Not sure, but I think they made a single pedal version best. I haven't used the EHX much, but I don't remember loving it. I always thought it was a bit tinny. I need to plug it in and check it out again.

The Dano was a recent ebay find (under $13 including shipping from a pawn shop). Haven't had alot of time to mess with it, but it sounds good for the price. That's probably a good choice for a cheap one.

• Members
Originally posted by AF-100

The Korg PME flanger module is awesome- even more nuts than the Yamaha FLs and the SF10- tunable self-oscillation, ringmod/steel drum sounds, surprisingly long pseudo delays..

korg_kfl-401_001.jpg

That's the one I'm talking about! I picked up mine recently (never heard of the PME before). Turned up the knob to oscillation and said "SOLD" :D Between the Flanger and the Delay, the PME is a sweet setup. (I've heard the Octave module is to die for, but haven't seen one in person)

• Members

The Korg PME flanger module is awesome- even more nuts than the Yamaha FLs and the SF10- tunable self-oscillation, ringmod/steel drum sounds, surprisingly long pseudo delays..

korg_kfl-401_001.jpg

Woah, hold on a second. Even more nuts than the SF10?

• Members

Imagine...my little thread ressurected from the dustbin of time ;)

I have my eye on the DOD 670. Some old, funky ones going for cheap on ebay. I'm going to borrow my pals MXR (original) flanger. I'm slowly tuning in to what I like in stompers: sturdy, reliable, visually subtle/funky, not too many knobs, not too much plastic etc. Guitar Player just ran (another) puff piece on the MXR Flanger re-issue, there's no way I want to mess with the 18v adaptor. Give me the dedicated 3-prong ac. Or ONE battery !

In the meantime, instead of flange, I am substituting my old Ibanez CS-9 chorus in it's place. Not bad.

Speaking of original MXR's, I just re-discovered my Distortion II...in the proper place/signal chain this thing is the distortion for...now.

• Members
Originally posted by hoerni

That's the one I'm talking about! I picked up mine recently (never heard of the PME before). Turned up the knob to oscillation and said "SOLD"
:D
Between the Flanger and the Delay, the PME is a sweet setup. (I've heard the Octave module is to die for, but haven't seen one in person)

The phaser oscillates too, and all the PME modulation effects, well the analog ones anyway, go very slow and very fast. Actually the phaser reminds me of a more extreme version of the Pearl tonally, it has that chewy sweep and you can turn the speed off and position it manually. I have the octave module. It is noisy but it has a built-in gate. Very tweakable- mix in 2, 1.5 and 1 octave down, normal and 1 oct up to taste, then distort each octave as much as you want! It's almost like the Microsynth without the filtering. Tracks very well and gets very nasty! The analog delay is a new fave of mine too- the self-oscillation is very controllable and musical- it's easy to find a sweet spot where it builds up slowly- with a lot of other analog delays the oscillation goes from nothing happening to over-the-edge chaos very abruptly. Not the Korg.
elctmist, the PME flanger can get into Lovetone-grade weirdness!

• Members

Okay, who saw this thread and snagged AmpliFIRE's Arion? :mad:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7335379366&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEDW%3AIT&rd=1

I wasn't going to mention it, because I was the high bidder for the past 5 days or so. Got outbid at the last minute.

It's probably for the better as my wife has been noticing the increase in number of packages lately.

• Members

The phaser oscillates too, and all the PME modulation effects, well the analog ones anyway, go very slow and very fast. Actually the phaser reminds me of a more extreme version of the Pearl tonally, it has that chewy sweep and you can turn the speed off and position it manually. I have the octave module. It is noisy but it has a built-in gate. Very tweakable- mix in 2, 1.5 and 1 octave down, normal and 1 oct up to taste, then distort each octave as much as you want! It's almost like the Microsynth without the filtering. Tracks very well and gets very nasty! The analog delay is a new fave of mine too- the self-oscillation is very controllable and musical- it's easy to find a sweet spot where it builds up slowly- with a lot of other analog delays the oscillation goes from nothing happening to over-the-edge chaos very abruptly. Not the Korg.

elctmist, the PME flanger can get into Lovetone-grade weirdness!

I'll have to keep an eye out for the phaser too. I love wide range knobs. That's my biggest complaint with the little Dano pedals. I want to keep turning them to 11 (or 12 or 13 sometimes). They just don't go fast enough.

I think it's because one of my early pedals was an original EHX Small Stone. That thing goes from real slow to total warble. I love it!

Any body know of some mods for the Dano pedals to increase the range? (and yes, I can solder surface mount components) TIA

• Members

hi. so comparatively, is the DOD FX-75C a total piece of crap or useful? i just got one on the bay for like nothing. i dont really use any modulation ordinarily but everyone can use a good flange

i definitely like the stereolab guitar tone, and that might be enough to warrant buying the digitech turbo flange just for the sake of having it kicking around the practice space.
is there another flanger that does the stereolab thing pretty well?

• Members
Originally posted by El Cheapo

.....I have my eye on the DOD 670. Some old, funky ones going for cheap on ebay.......

do it do it do it. now. the 670 and the 640 are the same thing, and its the best of this bunch, imho.

flangers2.jpg

Archived