Ooh Wah vs. Seek Trem

• Members

Do you feel these pedals cover ground too similar to merit owning both? I know that they are functionally different, but sonically I've found the differences in sample hold sequencers to sound very similar (phasing, flanging, filtering) and it *seems* that the Seek Trem would be about the same. I don't imagine that it's smooth, so it'd have the same choppy volume modulations...

• Members

I have an ooh wah and have played the seek trem. Both are really cool, and do something kinda similar. I think you can dial in more normal stuff with the seek trem, but i love the crazy wacky noises i get with the ooh wah in random mode after my mayo. And playing in clean is too die for...

But lately i'm all about the wah probe. That thing is insane...

• Members

Originally posted by dave esmond

heck i thought the ooh-wah and seek-wah were different enough to warrant having both.....:^)

yes i think they're pretty different and i'd want both....

d

Not sure if I'm missing your sarcasm, but for the sake of the innocent, the Ooh Wah does everything you can do with Seek Wah. plus it has an added feature to do random cycling.

:p

• Members

Originally posted by BmoreTele

Not sure if I'm missing your sarcasm, but for the sake of the innocent, the Ooh Wah does everything you can do with Seek Wah. plus it has an added feature to do random cycling.

:p

but they do sound slightly different....and it's a lot of fun driving a seek-wah with the ooh-wah in random mode....

i'm pretty sure mr vex told me the ooh and seek were different internally....more then just adding the random feature to the seek....

seriously i want one of each.....

d

• Members

Vex has confirmed that the Ooh Wah and Seek wah do sound different. I believe the Seek Wah has a slightly rounder wave. I think the concensus on his board was that the Seek Wah had a slightly more pleasing sound.

That said, we're comparing the Ooh WAH and Seek TREM.

• Members

Thought about this one myself just recently. I think I'd be able to post-process the Seek Trem to be something similar to the Ooh Wah if I wanted (phaser, flange, even a wah, any kind of filter). But, I can also get the pure tremolo out of it too. And the Seek Trem has the "start on one" feature that only the Ooh Wah II has (not the original Ooh Wah). At least, that's how I read it at Zack's site.

So, my take was... Seek Trem = more versatile.

Dig

• Members

okay...so seriously they (trem-ooh) sound completely different to me......i can't imagine any way you'd be able to make the trem sound like the ooh or vice-versa.....

putting an auto-wah after the seek-trem might be really cool...but that would still seem to be a pretty difefrent sound then the ooh....

here's a clip that has the seek-wah on it (i know slightly different)....

http://homepages.cae.wisc.edu/~esmond/ampeg.mp3

i can't see how you could get the same tone/note shaping sounds out of the seek-trem.....maybe something similar but different enough that i'd want both....

but then i'd the kind of guy who wants 30+ fuzz pedals becuase they all do something a LITTLE different....

still, to me, the sound of sequenced trem and wah are pretty different...

d

• Members

I have a Seek-Wah, and a Seek Trem. I use them both. They are both great for those times you wish you had a keyboard player in the band. They are different enough that they are both usefull in different settings. The Seek-Wah is great behind a held chord, for a really synth like sound. The Seek-Trem is good for a more synchronized tremolo sound. You can also do cool things like turn all the knobs down (up) except for one, and get that pick-up switch muting sound.

I have a freind that has the ooh-wah, and although that one is cool too, I personally like the rounded sound from the Seek-Wah better.

There are times where either one could do the job, but there are other times where one is better suited to the song.

• Members

Originally posted by Devi Ever

Would be cooler with midi synch capabilites.

devi-

Also, now that we're on the topic of syncing, I'd love to see Zach do a trippy delay pedal with either tap tempo or midi sync (or both). If he reads this thread he'll say "I've already said a thousand times before that I'm not doing a delay pedal, and no digi parts in my pedals!" :D

• Members

Originally posted by meriphew

Also, now that we're on the topic of syncing, I'd love to see Zach do a trippy delay pedal with either tap tempo or midi sync (or both....

have you tried an adrenalinn?

http://www.rogerlinndesign.com/

i think they do some of that stuff.....but i might be wrong....the one i tried was pretty cool....but i haven't played with the second verison yet.....

d

• Members

did you mean the Ooh-Wah and Seek-Wah? In the subject line you said Ooh-Wah and Seek-TREM.

The main difference between the Ooh-Wah and Seek-Wah is (obviously) that the Ooh-Wah has the random function. There is a very subtle difference in sound between the Ooh-Wah and Seek-Wah...sort of in the way it transistions between each step. The Seek-Wah sound a bit more smoother or more liquid-y, if that makes sense. but it's VERY subtle. you'd really have to listen to the difference yourself to determine whether or not it's worth spending an extra couple hundred bucks to have both. some people really like their Seek-Wah and prefer it over an Ooh-Wah just for this specific reason, but some people never even would notice until you pointed it out to them.

...now on the other hand, if you did mean Ooh-Wah vs. Seek-Trem, the two are TOTALLY different animals. Yes, their sounds are both controlled by a sequencer, but one effect is tremolo and the other is a wah...would you consider a tremolo and wah too similar to warrant owning both?

the Ooh-Wah and Seek-Wah are very dreamy/watery/ambient sounding...the Seek-Trem is VERY rythmic, choppy, and sounds great with distortion. it has a whole different feel from both the Ooh-Wah and Seek-Wah.

• Members

Not trying to push my opinion on anyone, or "defend" my position here at all, but I do want to clarify what I meant.

First, the original question was about Seek TREM vs. Ooh WAH, which was reemphasized a few posts later.

With both the of those effects, you obviously get a series of sequenced "audio events". The trem simply plays each of them at the approp. volume. The ooh wah simply filters at each event, either based on the knobs or randomly.

As far as I can tell, the Seek Trem clips I've heard demonstrate that even if you set all of the volumes equally, you still hear each distinct event. (That's a good thing!! I'm not complaining)

So my thought was simply: if I want a series of either controlled or random filtering events, why can't I turn on a Seek Trem, and then have a wah behind it (for instance). I play, the volume events happen in rhythm, and I sweep it with a wah. In a pattern... or not. Or a phaser, etc.

Yes, I understand I won't get the crazy jumps, especially at fast speeds. But with a wah, you could still filter those trem events in a nice way, that might sound similar to an Ooh Wah.

This is not meant as a ding on the Ooh Wah, cause I want one of those too (actually, a II, too!). cmloeffler asked the question about similarity, and it reminded me that I had thought this might be just such an alternative.

But since I own neither, and am tight on music money, I won't know for sure for quite a while ;)

Dig

Guest Anonymous

Originally posted by dave esmond

have you tried an adrenalinn?

i think they do some of that stuff.....but i might be wrong....the one i tried was pretty cool....but i haven't played with the second verison yet.....

d

Actually.. I just got a Filter Pro yesterday, so I'm good. :')

It's just that my friend likes what Zach is doing with his sequenced stuff, but wishes there were some kind of special Zvex midi break out box to hook up to his effects so he could use them properly with his synth setup live.

devi-

• Members

Originally posted by Devi Ever

Actually.. I just got a Filter Pro yesterday, so I'm good. :')

It's just that my friend likes what Zach is doing with his sequenced stuff, but wishes there were some kind of special Zvex midi break out box to hook up to his effects so he could use them properly with his synth setup live.

devi-

There's always the possibility of tapping into the first LED to get a pulse, and then somehow converting that to MIDI clock...

I know - it's out there, but it *could* be done! :)

• Members

Sigh... OK people. I thought I was fairly clear that I was comparing the Seek Trem with the Ooh Wah. There was a side-track comparing the Seek and Ooh wahs, but that wasn't my main question. Yes, I am aware that filtering and tremolo are very different sounding. It's just that in the sound clips I have heard, they are both used in the same sort of sonic applications and sound similar... especailly to the casual listener.

• Members

Originally posted by cmloeffler

Sigh... OK people. I thought I was fairly clear that I was comparing the Seek Trem with the Ooh Wah. There was a side-track comparing the Seek and Ooh wahs, but that wasn't my main question. Yes, I am aware that filtering and tremolo are very different sounding. It's just that in the sound clips I have heard, they are both used in the same sort of sonic applications and sound similar... especailly to the casual listener.

I love you, cowboy.

Archived