Have you tried the Boss PW-2 Power Driver?

• Members

From the reviews you wonder why they stopped making PW-2, or the SD-2. What do you think of the PW-2?

ot:

Moms gave me my b-day present a week early.......it's a new DS-2 Turbo Dist.................and........................I dig it! A good range of interesting distorted tones to choose. Cranked on Turbo II it can get pretty heavy with scoopy leads not too far from MT-2. Lower gain on Turbo channel I it's got a bit more of a fuzzy tone. Very cool :cool:

• Members

The Power Driver is quite possibly the worst sounding pedal I have ever encountered. Boss should hang their head in shame for that one.

I am certianly not anti Boss either.

There is no way for me to even describe how it sounds except like ass.

I know there are others out there that feel the same.

• Members

I went into a local guitar shop in another city and they had 2 pedals "brand new" that were out of production for $35.00 each ( 1 was a PW-2 and the other an XT-2). I bought them on the off chance they might be worth something someday, and I have seen them go for higher on e-bay not brand new. Now the PW-2 was pretty bad, and I could see I would never use it but it sounded great compared to the XT-2. What a POS!!! And I think it is 1 of the cooler looking pedals Boss has ever made. I hope they go up in value and I can flip them for a profit, because I no I will NEVER use them.

• Members

I tried the PW-2 when they first came out - it sounded like they were trying to achieve the whole 'garage band' sound - but in a really pathetic way.

I never even tried the XT-2 because of how scared i was after the Power driver

Terrible, terrible sounds!

• Members

Hahahhahahahe! How funny! Not lookin good for the Xtortion or the Power Driver ........ hey the PW-2 does have some good reviews.........none from you guys obviously!

What do you same guys think of the DS-2?

Thanks for the warnings !!! I'll try the Mega Dist next then possibly. What do you think of that one?

oh....see there you go.... if Edge found a use for it???? Mabe? How about the HM-2, it has the Clapton connection. Have to try it sometime. And the MZ-2 has Gilmore. I had a Metalizer......should've kept it.

• Members

Originally posted by paydirt

I went into a local guitar shop in another city and they had 2 pedals "brand new" that were out of production for $35.00 each ( 1 was a PW-2 and the other an XT-2). I bought them on the off chance they might be worth something someday, and I have seen them go for higher on e-bay not brand new. Now the PW-2 was pretty bad, and I could see I would never use it but it sounded great compared to the XT-2. What a POS!!! And I think it is 1 of the cooler looking pedals Boss has ever made. I hope they go up in value and I can flip them for a profit, because I no I will NEVER use them.

I actually think the XT-2 sounds cool for NOISEY shit.

Turn everything all the way up and play a solo.

KRAAAA RAA KAAA KRAAAAA!!

Cutting the noses off the audience's faces blonk tone.

Hey, maybe I'll give you $50 for it some day.

• Members

Originally posted by tastyriffs101

Hahahhahahahe! How funny! Not lookin good for the Xtortion or the Power Driver ........ hey the PW-2 does have some good reviews.........none from you guys obviously!

Thanks for the warnings !!! I'll try the Mega Dist next then possibly. What do you think of that one?

oh....see there you go.... if Edge found a use for it???? Mabe? How about the HM-2, it has the Clapton connection. Have to try it sometime. And the MZ-2 has Gilmore. I had a Metalizer......should've kept it.

Meh.

The MD is a Nu-metal box.

Like the Metal Zone was for 80s metal, but it doesn't sound heinous, just kidna cheap.

If you mess with it with enough gain you can get some pseudo-muff tones but with more low midrange and less high end grind.

• Members

i got relatively good sounds out of the MD, and a lot of them were solo tones :o

that being said, it was too noisy and feedback-ish. i returned it and got an ibanez smash box. similar sound, but even better for solos, and a noise gate.

don't use it really anymore though.

• Members

The PW2 was not that bad.. yes it is a farty gurgly buzz machine, so it won't replicate the brown sound :rolleyes: , but if you want dirt and mud and the lo-fi-guitar-thru-a-bass-amp vibe, then why not?

DS2 is a decent and somewhat unappreciated pedal. Keep level at max, tone and gain at noon, and work from there. It sits in the mix in a very nice way. Nothing spectacular, though

• Members

Originally posted by paydirt

And I think it is 1 of the cooler looking pedals Boss has ever made.

I do that.......I tried the Guyatone mini SD-1 Sustainer D ....the cool looking Black and red one. It was almost as bad as the Sabine Fuzztortion. More raw sounding. But it just kinda farted out some crappy tone. I was like "whoa!?".

• Members

Originally posted by loner22

The PW2 was not that bad.. yes it is a farty gurgly buzz machine, so it won't replicate the brown sound
:rolleyes:
, but if you want dirt and mud and the lo-fi-guitar-thru-a-bass-amp vibe, then why not?

DS2 is a decent and somewhat unappreciated pedal. Keep level at max, tone and gain at noon, and work from there. It sits in the mix in a very nice way. Nothing spectacular, though

Thanks! I'm using it on Turbo II mostly so far, with gain to the T in turbo and the tone pointed at the led. Level at the led or so too....but does have to go up high for most settings. Channel I lower gain settings would need to go full volume easy. I expected more volume , but it's at about the same level as the SD-2 when I compared them. DS-2 has a more outfront sound than the SD-2s mean red channel for sure.

• Members

a littel redundant, but making a contrabution makes me feel special:

PW-2: tried one at a guitar shop for about 3 seconds befor i couldn't stand the barfy, staticy mush it was producing

DS-2: My friend has one (he got it cheap and doesn't really know tone to save his ass, but not the point) and it is, as stated earlier, really tolerable if you manage to set it right. Not oodles of gain, but oodles of gain usually sound like crud anyhow...

• Members

Thanks! I'm using it on Turbo II mostly so far, with gain to the T in turbo and the tone pointed at the led. Level at the led or so too....but does have to go up high for most settings. Channel I lower gain settings would need to go full volume easy. I expected more volume , but it's at about the same level as the SD-2 when I compared them. DS-2 has a more outfront sound than the SD-2s mean red channel for sure.

the common practice =) is to use the DS2 in mode 1. The turbo mode is okay too, but it's a little "boxy", as in having a LOT of midrange, and i think, they (Boss) intendeed it as a solo mode, especially when you consider the option of an additional switch.

they key to a good sound withthis pedal is not to cut mids too much on an amp, and not to go berserk with gain. i used DS2 for a couple of yrs non-stop, mode I, we played Nirvana-heavy stuff, and I never went past 11 o'clock on the gain knob with a LP (stock Gibson hb's).

Hope that helps.

• Members

The PW2 was not that bad.. yes it is a farty gurgly buzz machine, so it won't replicate the brown sound
:rolleyes:
, but if you want dirt and mud and the lo-fi-guitar-thru-a-bass-amp vibe, then why not?

+1

I don't think the PW-2 is that bad, although I sometimes use it with my tube amp, on a transistor amp it does sound bad. :D

• Members

Originally posted by Nico de Roode

tastyriffs. I saw you made the dyna red clips from BJF electronics. Do you (still) own it?

Oh yea .....I love me some Dyna Red :cool: I had three , but let the older one go . #024 was a bit looser than #179 and mean#198 you heard there on DonneR's Tonesafari.com BJFE reference site. If that was where you heard it? :confused:

I'm using one at low gain as a pre drive for my big vintage Randall half. Gives it a thick DRD bump when my guitar is at half volume.

Best small size distortion pedal ever as far as I can tell. It's got a mid flavor some don't like , but it's response is magic.

• Members

the common practice =) is to use the DS2 in mode 1. The turbo mode is okay too, but it's a little "boxy", as in having a LOT of midrange, and
i think
, they (Boss) intendeed it as a solo mode, especially when you consider the option of an additional switch.

they key to a good sound withthis pedal is not to cut mids too much on an amp, and not to go berserk with gain. i used DS2 for a couple of yrs non-stop, mode I, we played Nirvana-heavy stuff, and I never went past 11 o'clock on the gain knob with a LP (stock Gibson hb's).

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the info! Yea I at first tried it with the remote switch for that lead boost thing. No chance. The volume jump and tonal differences would put you outfront for sure! A bit too much! The more fuzzy response in I mode isn't as fun as II for me.

I've combed through the setting now and really have the most fun with that more aggressive setting in II mode. Even though it does have that mid boost or whatever is happening........ I was about ready to let the SD-2 go after comparing them. SD seemed blabby and kinda muddy in comparison.

Never past 11 oc? I have the gain nearly pegged now! Between 2 oclock and max the tones make quite a few subtle changes. I'm using an X2-N armed SG or a Yamaha pacific w/ Multibucker for these tests.