valvetech hayseed 30 first impressions

gearnut

• Members

Originally posted by 4Kenoath

Shuttup!
:mad:

Hey can anyone tell me about the reverb?

The odd thing is, I actually looked into the original VAC amp about three years ago, when I got my Old Flame. Love a Vox AC15 combo though. Sometimes it sucks living in Oz...oh the shipping.
:confused:

leeme just put out there that I got to hear the 15, the HW and the hayseed over the phone before I got to see them in person and so far, this one is a homerun!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by MainStreetExile

Gearnut -

What tubes are in the amp, besides 4xEL-84? It's tube rectified, right? I wonder if the reverb is tube driven. Keep the reports coming!

MSE

I didn't get reverb on mine...He now offers it as an option though. It is tube rectified (5ar4), 3 12ax7's, and 4 el84's. It's Ei El84's at my request, but he used JJ 12ax7's, and they are super sparkly and gainy. I've never liked JJ's in an el84 amp before, but these are nice.

So far it's been great, I just can't wait to crank it at practice tomorrow. That will be the true test. It sounds very good on the 15w setting and the master cranked back, the 2x12's still push a lot of air surprisingly. So I imagine when I really open it up, it's gonna rip.

I also finally plugged my board into it last night. All the usual stuff works great, just like it does with my ac15. The echoczar just kills.

• Members

Originally posted by Joey

it doesn't get much better than an ac-30 (or a clone) and a sg. looks great!

Thanks! That guitar is the freakin {censored}. I haven't had it that long, but man, it rules. For the first time in a really long time I feel like my whole rig is coming together. It's very satisfying and rewarding actually.

• Members

Ok guys, I finally got to open it up at practice tonight. It was so huge sounding, even in the 15w setting, just having the 2x12 made it sound so much larger than my ac15. On 30w it just got larger and larger. It's got a fair amount of gain, if you crank the preamp vols, moreso than my ac15. But it has that classic vox crang and clang, complex and chimey, very touch sensitive. It's really amazing amp and well worth more than twice the price I paid IMO.

• Members

oh, i want one! I'm really happy with the Mayfly BC-30 though. It's a {censored}ing killer amp and I'm surprised more people haven't caught on to them. I think I like it more than the Bad Cat Black Cat I've used for the past couple of years.

I run my Mayfly with a Bad Cat 2x12 cab and it sounds GREAT!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Originally posted by ollenorin

bump for gearnut.....

any new discoverings with yr new hayseed ? mine will be finished in a month i hope.

:)

Just that it's a very solid amp. It continues to impress and sound fantastic. It's a simple amp, which appeals to me, very easy to dial in. One of the signs that an amp is a keeper for me is that I don't find myself constantly tweaking the tone controls, looking for a sound. I found my sound within an hour of firing it up the first time, and I've tweaked it very little since. It's really perfect for me.

I do want to mess around more with the normal channel, and channel jumping. I also want to run the echoczar in stereo into each channel, you get a bigger stereo field that way.

I'm anxious to hear your impressions of it Olle. I think you'll dig it...

• Members

Originally posted by gearnut

Just that it's a very solid amp. It continues to impress and sound fantastic. It's a simple amp, which appeals to me, very easy to dial in. One of the signs that an amp is a keeper for me is that I don't find myself constantly tweaking the tone controls, looking for a sound. I found my sound within an hour of firing it up the first time, and I've tweaked it very little since. It's really perfect for me.

I do want to mess around more with the normal channel, and channel jumping. I also want to run the echoczar in stereo into each channel, you get a bigger stereo field that way.

I'm anxious to hear your impressions of it Olle. I think you'll dig it...

yeah i really think i will dig it brutally much. I might have to sell the AC-30 to afford it in the long run. Does it go well with yr overdrives/fuzzes ? Do you set it up semi-clean, halfpower switch on ?

• Members

Yeah, I set it for a semi-clean (or semi-dirty:)) sound. For band practice, I use it on halfpower, probably 30w for shows (haven't gigged with it yet). It takes fuzzes and overdrives very well. I think that el84 sponginess rounds off harsh sounding fuzzes a bit, which I like. There's still plenty of headroom to kick in a boost pedal for leads and get a volume boost. It sounds great at loud and very low master vol levels. My blues are finally breaking in, so it's softening a bit, it sounds fantastic. It's a joy to play through so far. I feel like I finally found the amp for all seasons.

Did you get the reverb on yours?

• Members

Thanks! That guitar is the freakin {censored}. I haven't had it that long, but man, it rules. For the first time in a really long time I feel like my whole rig is coming together. It's very satisfying and rewarding actually.

I'm shopping for a P90 SG at the moment, but if I ever got a humbucker one that would be it no question. I love those things!

hey I hope you don't mind me asking, how much did you have to dish out for the celestion blues over at avatar? He doesn't have the prices listed.

And congratulations on the amp. I want one of these so bad. If I had more money I wouldn't think twice about it but as it is I think it just takes up too much of the same sonic space as my tophat.

Unfortunately almost all of the amps that I want do! LOL!

• Members

Originally posted by Thelonius

I'm shopping for a P90 SG at the moment, but if I ever got a humbucker one that would be it no question. I love those things!

hey I hope you don't mind me asking, how much did you have to dish out for the celestion blues over at avatar? He doesn't have the prices listed.

And congratulations on the amp. I want one of these so bad. If I had more money I wouldn't think twice about it but as it is I think it just takes up too much of the same sonic space as my tophat.

Unfortunately almost all of the amps that I want do! LOL!

Sounds like we have a similar SG obssession. I've been looking for an old SG special, or maybe a classic. I've got a '65 SG jr that just freakin kills, but i need two pickups for band use. I also have a '76 SG standard that is one of the easiest playing guitars I've ever had.

Well, I paid $225 per blue at avatar, but I got in under the wire, I know the prices were going up on them.

• Members

Yeah, I set it for a semi-clean (or semi-dirty:)) sound. For band practice, I use it on halfpower, probably 30w for shows (haven't gigged with it yet). It takes fuzzes and overdrives very well. I think that el84 sponginess rounds off harsh sounding fuzzes a bit, which I like. There's still plenty of headroom to kick in a boost pedal for leads and get a volume boost. It sounds great at loud and very low master vol levels. My blues are finally breaking in, so it's softening a bit, it sounds fantastic. It's a joy to play through so far. I feel like I finally found the amp for all seasons.

Did you get the reverb on yours?

yes mine comes with reverb.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

bump for an extensive review now from gearnut....you still like the hayseed ?

better than the voxes u owned ?

Still loving it. :D

But seriously, it's an incredible amp. It's got great low end, much more thunk and chunk than my ac15 or my ac30hw. But it also has that classic vox chime. It sounds huge when cranked. It's been super solid so far, it's very very quiet, even when cranked. The half power and mv are great. I've written this before about it, but it's one of these set and forget amps, I found my tone within minutes and haven't felt the need to tweak since (well, i have a little to mess around and see what's in there). It's great mixing channels, but lately I've taken to running the stereo out of hte echoczar into the normal channel on the hayseed, you get a big stereo field sound. it's awesome.

Here's my gripe: the master volume is on the back of the amp, down by where the speakers plugs in and next to the half power switch. So it's kinda inconvenient during shows to reach down there and accurately adjust. But short of that it kills.

• Members

sounds great gearnut !

hows the brilliant channel on the hayseed ? i always use that one on the ac-30.

Yeah, that's the channel i use mostly. It's very similar to an ac30. Bright, chimey, and jangly, all the good stuff!!

Archived