my new traynor yba-3 custom special

teeth

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Members

Well, I just lucked into a Custom Special YBA-3 that is in mint condition. The Yorkville site tells me it was made in Feb 1973 according to its serial number.

I bought it privately, and while checking it out I asked if I could remove the back panel. No problem the guy says, here's a screw driver to undo the screws. I honestly think it was the first time the back cover had been removed from the amp. I had to battle to get the panel off. Some of the glue that holds the piece of wood that the back panel screws into had settled onto the back panel that I was trying to remove. With a little force it came out.

Inside was one dirty amp, but it was simply dirt and dust balls stringing between the 4 6CA7's power tubes and the 3 12AX7A preamp tubes. A quick running over with the vacumn and all was clean. Then a little elbow grease and a few squirts of Fantastic and the insides looked like new. I pulled the tubes checked them over and gave them a good cleaning and reinstalled them.

There is not one mark on the cabinet. It's as if someone used it a few times and put it away under a bed for the past 32 years.

I've been looking for a Custom Special for quite a few years now. And i've have come across a few, but they've been beat. This one just blows me away. And I got a great deal.

TD

:thu:

Pics to come soon.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Originally posted by tubehead

I love my Traynor Mark III head, except when I have to move it. She's 100 watts of real tube power, with cooling fan, and the most monstrous tranny you've ever seen - or lifted for that matter. At 47 pounds the head alone outweighs most of those modern little girly-man combos ...
:mad:;)

And did somebody say LOUD?

I'm getting that very head. How does it respond to pedals?

Archived