my new traynor yba-3 custom special

teeth

• Members

i bought the amp a few weeks back and

took it directly to the tech.

(western reserve audio in lakewood)

has all the tubes replaced and everything gone over, and

they told me that everything on the inside looked practically new.

i picked it up this afternoon and immediately tried it out.

HOLY SMOKES!!!

VOLUME!!!

TONE!!!

SUSTAIN!!!

i am completely happy and amazed right now.

• Members

Your 1/4 of the way to being an honourary Canadian; Buy yourself a Leaf's Jersey, crack open a Labbatts, and listen to some Gordon Lightfoot and your there.

Old Traynors are awesome I have 2 of them and have owned another 3 in the past and all of them were awesome amps for build quality and sound.

edit: and loud is because traynor rates in clean watts instead of fully saturated watts.....huge difference

• Members

I love my Traynor Mark III head, except when I have to move it. She's 100 watts of real tube power, with cooling fan, and the most monstrous tranny you've ever seen - or lifted for that matter. At 47 pounds the head alone outweighs most of those modern little girly-man combos ...:mad:;)

And did somebody say LOUD?

• Members

Originally posted by tubehead

I love my Traynor Mark III head, except when I have to move it. She's 100 watts of real tube power, with cooling fan, and the most monstrous tranny you've ever seen - or lifted for that matter. At 47 pounds the head alone outweighs most of those modern little girly-man combos ...
:mad:;)

WOW.

Thats one pound heavier than my YCV40 COMBO.......jeez....

• Members

this yba-3 is a bass amp, and claytons yba- 1 is as well.

so far my impression is that it is sounds GREAT.

Originally posted by mugglesport

Has anyone tried any of the Traynor Bass heads with guitar? Wonder if you can get good results with that.

• Members

Originally posted by tubehead

At 47 pounds the head alone outweighs most of those modern little girly-man combos ...
:mad:;)

My traynor 68 Yba-1A head with choke was over 90 lbs:eek: :eek: and it would belt out about 90 CLEAN watts....crazy loud.

Look at this iron

• Members

goddamn, a YBA-3!i wanted one so badly and i almost grabbed one...but it was gone by the time i made it all the way to downtown toronto. :(

I presently rock a YGM-3 and i love it...almost picked up a 1978 YGL-3 Mark III(Traynor's KICKASS take on a Twin) but ran out of money, and had to let it go. and it was in french too! talk about unique.

That YBA-3 you have is one amazing amp...it is capable of about 130-140 watts sustained, apparently and if you replace the tubes with 6550 and bias it properly, you can achieve 200 watts without any undue stress. very nice if you want to use it as a bass amp, just as it was intended.

• Members

Originally posted by The Tortoise

What is/are the most desirable models for Traynor amps? From what timeframe? What kinds of sounds are in them?

pretty much anything! Traynor didn't make very many stinkers.

the YBA-1 is very popular because its circuit resembles the old Marshall Plexis of its era, but some claim Peter Traynor actually improved it. he even juiced up the original 50-watt YBA-1 to make the YBA-1A develop 90 watts with only two EL34s! the mysterious thing about these amps is that the tubes last a long damn time.

but if you aren't bent on having a Plexi-type amp, Traynors came in all kinds of flavours...my YGM-3 gives me a slight Vox flavour to its sound. the tremolo is absolutely matchless....you'll never hear tremolo with that kind of balls anywhere else. and the unique thing is it has a closed back, not open like most 1x12 combos so it's rather snappy with the response. just for fun i replaced the original Marsland speaker with a Celestion Rocket 50.

• Members

tortoise:

i played a 50w traynor (yga-1?) a few months ago.

i loved the sound of it. reminded me of a cross

between a mesa mk3 and maybe a vox.

i know a few people who have owned various

models of traynors, both guitar and bass amps,

used mainly for guitar. i really dont think there is

a bad choice from the classic pre-yorkville era.

i am under the impression, but may be wrong, that

the guitar and bass amps were almost identical inside. the primary difference between equivalent models being reverb or trem for guitar, and bass expanders, etc on the bass models.

• Members

Originally posted by bikehorn

goddamn, a YBA-3!i wanted one so badly and i almost grabbed one...b

I presently rock a YGM-3 and i love it...

That YBA-3 you have is one amazing amp...it is capable of about 130-140 watts sustained, apparently and if you replace the tubes with 6550 and bias it properly, you can achieve 200 watts without any undue stress. very nice if you want to use it as a bass amp, just as it was intended.

i would love to try out a ygm...

it had the equivalent of el34s (6ca7s) in it when i bought it. i had svetlana el34s installed and oh my god. as mentioned earlier in this thread, traynor rated their amps rms at the max before clipping. they sold the yba-3 cs as a 130 watt amp.

let me tell you, though. this thing can definitely keep up with my bandmates hiwatt 200. LOUD

it would also be a sin if i told you how much i got this for. sorry...had to throw a little gloating in here.

Archived