Ibanez/Maxon SD-9

• Members

i have the sd-01, which is the "o" series version of it. it also has the sma einnards (2 jrc chips)..in my opinion, its more of a tone shaper than a dirt pedal. its medium dirt, but gets really loud. . its not a high gainer, for sure, but it seems to be ,ade to work with boost and shaping an amps dirt really well. the eq is very wide on it. thats why they call it sonic, i guess

• Members

It's closer in design to a DOD 250 or MXR Distortion+ than say a DS-1, so it has more range and less fizziness to it. I like it a lot, it'll cover everything from some TS-9ish sounds to some pretty aggressive rock. Wouldn't say it was a metal pedal though, it's too full in the midrange.

• Members

Originally posted by Cruachan

Wouldn't say it was a metal pedal though, it's too full in the midrange.

I love my SD9! My Ibanez sd9 is almost scooped sounding when the gain is up and the tone is in the middle...very Metal sounding. I agree about the Ts9 at low gains because the mids seem to be controlled by the amount of gain (less mids with more gain).

I don't know what the difference between Maxon and Ibanez is other than the fact that Maxons are being made and Ibanez are not.

• Members

Originally posted by nosebleed

woah, A lot of people are claiming it is a nice distortion pedal, as well as some guys saying it works much better as a boost/od thing.

does anyone have any clips??

The Ibanez is an od at low gain levels but it has a {censored}load of gain on tap and the voicing changes as it goes up. I usually keep my gain below noon and it there is ample for me. I don't have any clips but check out Ed D's page for some SD samples here

• Members

Originally posted by jonny guitar

I love my SD9! My Ibanez sd9 is almost scooped sounding when the gain is up and the tone is in the middle...very Metal sounding. I agree about the Ts9 at low gains because the mids seem to be controlled by the amount of gain (less mids with more gain).

I should have pointed out that all of my guitars are single coil or P90 equipped. I've never tried it with humbuckers. Besides, I've got an SM-9 for brewtal gain. :D

silentbob.gif

• Members

I've just put my SD-9 into my Cornford Harlequin using a 96 Les Paul and it sounds awesome. Very fat and full sounding distortion with gain turned up on the SD-9. With gain backed off you can get a very nice overdrive crunch. The tone control is very responsive and I really rate this pedal a lot. If you want a bit more gain, you can have a look at something like the Ibanez Metal Charger. I did'nt like the MC at first but it's really grown on me and I'm finding some very nice settings on it now.

• Members

I got the original Ibanez "dual circuit board" version. The first model with one board had oscillation issues at higher gain settings. I didn't like the tone control as it got very harsh if turned past 9.00. So I took the advice and sent it to analogman for the silver mod and it never left the board since. My only pedal for higher gain leads and it's so fat and full yet never gets lost in the mix and sweet sweet tone. That's with a Strat into clean Fender amp. Now the tone control is useful the entire range and I got a better choice of tones. Bothe before and after the mod it is extremely useful from 0 gain to max gain.

In fact, with little gain it's easier to get a good SRV sound than any TS9 I've had. It doesn't lose the bottom that a TS9 does. But I also got my TS9 silver modded and it has more bottom now as well and it is such an improvement. Those two are lethal weapons I tell you.

The new Maxxon are supposed to be that good as well and Scott Henderson sold his Ibanez SD9 silver mod and got the new Maxon instead. I'm interested in how it sounds but I'll never get rid of mine. It's killer!!!

• Members

well, i'm gonna have to play devil's advocate and say i absolutely hate the pedal FOR GUITAR. i had an original dual board ibanez sd-9, hated it. it had no output, and sounded so {censored}in fake and processed to my ears. I sent it to analogman, and he made it sound as good as one could, but {censored} is {censored} even if you wrap it in gold leaf.

for what its worth, the pedal is awsome for recording slightly distorted vocals, and sounds rad w/ a synth too, but i hate it with guitars.

• Members
Originally posted by vanguard

well, i'm gonna have to play devil's advocate and say i absolutely hate the pedal FOR GUITAR. i had an original dual board ibanez sd-9, hated it. it had no output, and sounded so {censored}in fake and processed to my ears. I sent it to analogman, and he made it sound as good as one could, but {censored} is {censored} even if you wrap it in gold leaf.

for what its worth, the pedal is awsome for recording slightly distorted vocals, and sounds rad w/ a synth too, but i hate it with guitars.

i'm pretty sure you had a faulty pedal...it has tons of output for starters. And for whatever it's worth, also a favorite of Landau and many others.

• Members

i totally understand if others like it, to each his own.... but mine certainly wasnt faulty, i had it modded by analogman. I'm sure he woulda noticed. i had him add even more output, and it still dropped my output when i clicked it on while using other pedals.

i've decided that od/distortion pedals just arent my thing. i like treble boosters/boosters and fuzz.

• Members

I use mine with clean amps. Great pedal if you set it right. Set the drive on half, volume at about 9:00 and most important, tone almost all the way off. Back down the guitar to about 8 and you get a good rock/blues tone, crank it and look out. But not quite metal. The pedal likes strats, add a tone control to the bridge pup and it rocks. I like the pedal if you haven't figured that out by now. I'm sure it's not for everyone but it's definatly worth trying out. Just turn the tone down.

• Members

Originally posted by Jakeddy

I use mine with clean amps. Great pedal if you set it right. Set the drive on half, volume at about 9:00 and most important, tone almost all the way off. Back down the guitar to about 8 and you get a good rock/blues tone, crank it and look out. But not quite metal. The pedal likes strats, add a tone control to the bridge pup and it rocks. I like the pedal if you haven't figured that out by now. I'm sure it's not for everyone but it's definatly worth trying out. Just turn the tone down.

yep yep

• Members

It is a fat and midheavy, plus I actually like it due to its open nature when you open up the tone-knob.

I use it with both humbuckers and singlecoils.

And I am also getting the Maxon one, the SD-9 teams well up with my Plexitone and the rest of my gear, so I am looking forward to the Maxon, hmm I have too many dirtpedals:D

• Members
Originally posted by Jakeddy

I forgot to mention that too as I'm just so used to it. I rewire my strats so the bridge p/u gets its own tone pot without affecting any other p/u. I usually roll it off to about 7-8 and that is the key to all my overdrive sounds. It will make all pedals sound much sweeter and useful. If it is wide open you simply cant compensate that on the pedal. I cant play without that option.

Archived