OT: unity.

sdre

• Members

How important is unity?

Why are we contented with disunity in a workplace, family setting or social setting?

Is America, Europe or Asia even, being united in certain issues? if not/yes how so?

Been thoughtful about this.

share.

• Members

unity is important for the family and 'social settings' because its result isn't dependant on success over another (well, it is, but thats for another time.) unity in the family is about respect, love, mutual understanding, which is cool. unity at a party is about everybody having a good time. {censored}ing eh.

however, unity at the workplace works to hide the antagonistic relationship between employers and workers.

the american myth of unity is dangerous. slogans such as 'united we stand' and 'support our troops' are hilariously arbitrary, yet for the most part people internalize them as a political position.
which allows them to not think twice about killing "Other"s.

• Members

Originally posted by scotron

the american myth of unity is dangerous. slogans such as 'united we stand' and 'support our troops' are hilariously arbitrary,

They also imply that it is unpatriotic or disloyal not to support a particular position, in this case the Iraq war. Displaying ribbons to support the safe return of our soldiers has morphed into displaying those ribbons to publicly state that the person agrees with GW Bush and his war; and the implication is that if you don't agree with the war, then you don't support the individual well-being of our soldiers (which is ironic considering that many people don't support the war because so many American soldiers are being killed and maimed without a clear purpose).

The implication that it is disloyal to ever disagree with the president is itself an insult to the American ideal of freedom.

• Members

Originally posted by palthegiraffe

They also imply that it is unpatriotic or disloyal not to support a particular position, in this case the Iraq war. Displaying ribbons to support the safe return of our soldiers has morphed into displaying those ribbons to publicly state that the person agrees with GW Bush and his war; and the implication is that if you don't agree with the war, then you don't support the individual well-being of our soldiers (which is ironic considering that many people don't support the war
because
so many American soldiers are being killed and maimed without a clear purpose).

The implication that it is disloyal to ever disagree with the president is itself an insult to the American ideal of freedom.

I don't agree with you on that one, PtG. The legacy of Vietnam taught us the valuable lesson of separating the support of our brothers and neighbors in the military from the political machine that drives the wars. "Support our troops" means just that. It means to think of them while they are over there--and when they come home, don't spit on them and call them baby killers.

• Members

Originally posted by JimVW

I don't agree with you on that one, PtG. The legacy of Vietnam taught us the valuable lesson of separating the support of our brothers and neighbors in the military from the political machine that drives the wars. "Support our troops" means just that. It means to think of them while they are over there--and when they come home, don't spit on them and call them baby killers.

With those who interpret them as you do, I have no disagreement at all. My problem is with those who thoughtlessly stick them on their car next to their "W" sticker and accuse those who don't support the war in theory of not caring about the well-being of our troops. Those of us who know people who have been sent over there (which is probably most of us here in the US) have very conflicted feelings about the whole situation, but those feelings certainly don't include a disregard for the safety of the people we know over there.

It's the confusing of the terms "patriotic" and "agree with all elements of the president's agenda" that makes me crazy. I'm not un-American if I don't want our power to be used in this particular way.

• Members

It depends on how you define unity.

Supporting one another despite, but while acknowledging, differences I believe to be unity.

Supporting one another while pretending differences aren't there, sweeping them under the carpet, I don't believe to be real unity. Such is a feigned front.

Sorry to Americanize this, but unity has been a hot topic in the United States for awhile now; war time always drags the subject to the surface, usually as a pawn in some larger argument. So:

"By criticizing the President during a war, you are harming the nation/revealing your hatred of America/being treasonous" or "By supporting the war in Iraq you are harming the world/revealing your hatred of the Middle East/being a war-monger." These attacks on another's commitment to "unity" are almost always hollow, half-baked, and to an ulterior end.

It's a shame, as I think the real meaning of the stuff is trampled underneath knee-jerk, competitive zeal.

For me, unity is being able to disagree with someone about matters-extremely significant matters-but being able to out aside our bull{censored} in order to recognize that this other person is an entire human being-not just an ideal or opinion-and discuss such differences politely and constructively. To inspire in one another the meddle to leave the party lines behind, not be content with the end justifying the means, and apply the same standards to our side, their side, and the in-between (Current events example: supporting the right to filibuster when it suits one's political needs and attacking it when it runs counter to such).

• Members

I feel no loyalty to any other American. I may feel loyalty to and unity with people who happen to be American. But that's because they are family, friends, people that I like. I don't give a {censored} what country they're from.

It's a concept I've detatched myself from as I've gotten older. I don't really understand why. It makes sense to me but it seems I'm one of the few people like that. I see people watching television and see people overseas burning an American flag and they get bent out of shape. It doesn't mean anything to me. It was a piece of cloth. Symbolism is bull{censored}.

One of these assholes I saw on Fox News the other morning said something that I hope he gets a small term in hell for. Paraphrased: "Yeah, we have all of these problems with suicide bombers, and it's very sad these people are dying but better over there than here."

Because Americans are more important and Jesus loves us more I guess.

• Members

reason why i asked this was because of the lack of unity i see amongst people be it in church, home, office, games, bands, etc.

i wonder if its something that can be universally fixed... or is that just a theory or an idealistic point of view?

• Members

Theres a war going down between my brothers tonight
I dont want no war going down tonight
Stop this war
Civilization ha I call it as I see it
I call it bull{censored} you know I still cannot believe it
Our evolution now has gone the way of hate
A world evolved resolved in this stupid fate
Stop this war
All so different yeah I say were all the same
All caught you know in the division game
Self destruction fast impending like a bullet