Any of you play bridge (the card game)?

• Members

Originally posted by Wilbo26

Isn't Bridge very similar to Spades or Hearts???

I'm pretty sure 10 seconds with google will find you a pretty decent and free Bridge program if you're interested in learning.

I meant, I'd learn but who to play against? I dont play online games because my work comps sucks and I do other stuff at home.

• Members

Originally posted by Wilbo26

Isn't Bridge very similar to Spades or Hearts???

I'm pretty sure 10 seconds with google will find you a pretty decent and free Bridge program if you're interested in learning.

It is similar to spades or hearts, or euchre for that matter. But in the way that P-I-G is similar to basketball.

One great fact about bridge is that computers can't beat people at it. Even an average high-level player is much better than any program (so far).

• Members

We always called those "bridge light" -- seriously, they are sort of scaled down trump/book type games based on sort of the same general dynamic

The PIG/HORSE thing is kind of apt

Ah, I see. I did a little searching on the internet and downloaded a freeware Bridge program, called EasyBridge, and read the basic instructions and played a few simple rounds. Seems like a good way to get a grasp on the basic rules and stuff.

I do see it being a problem finding actual humans to play with, as its obvious this game really needs to be enjoyed with 4 players, not 1 and a computer.

• Members
Originally posted by jdwinger

tell me the friggin rules, give me the insights THEN we'll do some examples

:mad:

Yeah, I've taught a lot of people how to play bridge, and you've got the right approach. There's no way to just get the hang of it. The 'rules' are relatively simple. The trickier part is the conventions, which aren't rules exactly (tho you do have to declare what conventions you're using and then play by them, making them a sort of personalized set of rules for the partnership). Almost all of bidding and a lot of defending the play of the hand turns on convention. And the conventions are, well, damn complicated.

Check this out, for instance: http://www.annam.co.uk/sayc.htm

SAYC -- "standard american yellow card" -- is the system I play. And it's meant to be a simple, standardized alternative to some of the other systems . . .

Archived