Why the South Sucks

Kestral

• Members

I wonder why it hasn't occurred to either Kestral or gdwill2u that their opinions on very far sides of the spectrum. And they both suck.

This seems very plain to the rest of the sane world but maybe being on the inside it's harder to tell. I don't know. Any theories?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by Thelonius

I wonder why it hasn't occurred to either Kestral or gdwill2u that their opinions on very far sides of the spectrum. And they both suck.

This seems very plain to the rest of the sane world but maybe being on the inside it's harder to tell. I don't know. Any theories?

I get all of my opinions from System Of A Down albums.

As far as you, I suspect you're about half-gay.

• Members

Originally posted by palthegiraffe

I can't tell you how happy that article just made me. As someone with a degree in history who spent a lot of time studying the Holocaust, I am really sick of people who constantly fall back on Nazi/Hitler analogies and comparisons as an easy rhetorical reference when less-extreme references would be more appropriate and/or useful. And a related annoyance is how that Seinfeld "Soup Nazi" episode popularized the use of the noun "nazi" to mean anyone who is harsh or unbending, no matter how silly the arena. Holy crap. It's not like the last hundred years haven't provided the names of other genocidal regimes and despots to throw around. Try and mix it up once in a while with an Idi Amin or a Rwanda if you absolutely have to bring up a culture's mass trauma to make a point about something unrelated.

How about the 'Soup Right-Wing Extremist'?

• Members

Well let's go back to Alabammy
Let's go see my dear old mammy
She's fryin' eggs and cookin' hammy
And that's what I like about the south
Boy, you won't be no mistakey
You oughta taste that layer cake
You see that's what I like about the south

They got baked ribs and candied yams
Sugar cured Virginia hams
...berry jams
Cornbread and turnip greens
Ham hocks and butter beans
Mardi Gras down in New Orleans

Here comes that guy with all the news
Box back coat and button shoes
He's paid up with his union dues
There's a place down here called Doo Wah Diddy
It ain't no town and it ain't no city
Oh but it's pretty it's mighty pretty
Doo Wan Diddy, oh yeah

Now every time I pass your door
You act like you don't want me no more
Just shake your head and sigh
And I'll go truckin' right on by
'Cause I ain't here to criticize
And I ain't here to sympathize
Don't tell me them no good lies
'Causee a lyin' gal I do despise

That's what I like about the South
Y'all come down for some of mama's chicken
Homemade biscuits, yeah

• Members

the south is a weird place, it has a weird history but I think that at the end of the day, people are really cool and easy going nowadays. They are still a bit narrow minded in certain regions but then if you lived in the middle of nowhere, even if you got medias, you'd lack the broad view on things unless you wanted to see things differently.

• Members
Originally posted by ArrMatey

the south is a weird place, it has a weird history but I think that at the end of the day, people are really cool and easy going nowadays. They are still a bit narrow minded in certain regions but then if you lived in the middle of nowhere, even if you got medias, you'd lack the broad view on things unless you wanted to see things differently.

Not totally true. I live in the middle of nowhere, and the people are very knowledgeable about all kinds of stuff. It really depends on the individual. Not the area. People here are very open minded.:D

• Members

People outside of the South like to fall back on the hicks-in-trailers stereotype, but the reality of the county in which I grew up (Williamson, Tennessee) is very different. Since I moved away in 1989 after graduating from high school, it's turned into a money-soaked materialistic land of giant megachurches and tackily-designed big houses on tiny lots. It's now the richest county in the state, one of the most solidly Republican counties in the country, and a county developing faster than seems possible. (The field where we all used to go to drink booze and make out is now a hideously large shopping mall.) So in my own experience, the South that I have to visit regularly is indeed different from where I live now, but not because of the traditional negative associations that come to some people's minds.

(I've heard similar complaints about parts of Charlotte, Atlanta, Dallas and Houston, etc.)

• Members

I know what your saying. Both the towns I grew up in are very different today too. Both Smyrna & LaVergne look nothing like what the did when I went to school. I graduated '89 too. Big dorky looking houses on 1/2 acre lots and resturants out the ass. The place we'd go to ride bikes is all houses. An old creek out there is gone, and I can barley find my way around.

• Members
Originally posted by delorean

let's get this thread back on track now.

FOOD.

kevin: what is the {censored}ing deal w/ that stuff they pass off in Ohio as chili??

what the hell, man?

Cincinnati Chili!!!!!:eek: My grandmother used to bring us some every year she came through. Boy I sure do miss it.

• Members

Originally posted by delorean

kevin: what is the {censored}ing deal w/ that stuff they pass off in Ohio as chili??

what the hell, man?

I won't touch it. It looks like dog vomit.

Granted, I don't like chili anyway; but the commercials for Skyline and Gold Star during the Reds' games don't do much for me at all.

Being originally from Nashville, I never knew about such things as "three-way" chili items until I was an adult and knew to stay away from such things. I was more concerned with avoiding Krystal hamburgers.

• Members

Originally posted by Marcus Dahl

I know what your saying. Both the towns I grew up in are very different today too. Both Smyrna & LaVergne look nothing like what the did when I went to school. I graduated '89 too. Big dorky looking houses on 1/2 acre lots and resturants out the ass. The place we'd go to ride bikes is all houses. An old creek out there is gone, and I can barley find my way around.

Now I'm getting all nostalgic. I used to look out of the window of my high school at the rolling hills and cow pastures; now it's all a giant subdivision of silly-looking minimansions.

The upside to all of this is that my parents' house, which they bought in 1978, has skyrocketed in value thanks to the development around them.

I think I went to some religious event in Smyrna once, back when my mother went through a hyper-religious phase.

• Members

People outside of the South like to fall back on the hicks-in-trailers stereotype, but the reality of the county in which I grew up (Williamson, Tennessee) is very different. Since I moved away in 1989 after graduating from high school, it's turned into a money-soaked materialistic land of giant megachurches and tackily-designed big houses on tiny lots. It's now the richest county in the state, one of the most solidly Republican counties in the country, and a county developing faster than seems possible. (The field where we all used to go to drink booze and make out is now a hideously large shopping mall.) So in my own experience, the South that I have to visit regularly is indeed different from where I live now, but not because of the traditional negative associations that come to some people's minds.

(I've heard similar complaints about parts of Charlotte, Atlanta, Dallas and Houston, etc.)

True, all true. The suburbs and oppressive heat for four months in a row. I still love the food and the peeps though. :cool:

• Members

I won't touch it. It looks like dog vomit.

Granted, I don't like chili anyway; but the commercials for Skyline and Gold Star during the Reds' games don't do much for me at all.

Being originally from Nashville, I never knew about such things as "three-way" chili items until I was an adult and knew to stay away from such things. I was more concerned with avoiding Krystal hamburgers.

three-way chili and Kestral hamburgers?

spooky.

Archived