its fun to crank cleans

fishfartz

• Members

i know this is pretty obvious, but i usually always have some form of drive or bite going, whether its from the tube amp cranked enough to add some bite when played hard or boosted much further with my OD - but the last week or so ive been getting into alot of rockabilly/surf type stuff and its been great cranking the "clean" cleans.

i love setting the amp on that sweet spot where the notes blossom, and just playing all kinds of stuff. ive also been getting into alot more intimate picking/technique, even hybrid stuff since ive been playing alot clean. i do love a nice smooth crunch, but theres something about how effects interact better in alot of cases with a nice round clean tone. especially spring reverb. its great with a little crunch, but magic with a strats 2&4 positions!

ive been doing some solo-style covers (folsom prison) blues where you can actually pull it off with just your voice and guitar, and when it comes time for the solo just kick on the slapback echo and keep the bass-groove going while playing some hybrid solo stuff.

anyway - any of you find you like some of your effects much better clean?

• Members

I play mostly clean. The kind of clean where if you hit a Pete Townsend powerchord with all of your might it will break up. Otherwise it doesn't.

The great thing about the Tophat as I'm sure with a vox or many similar styled amps (dr. z, matchless) is that even though it's clean, it has a particular character of overdrive/distortion that is missing from 6L6 style amps. It allows me to play things that would normally sound lame on most amps without a bit of drive.

Now the trade off is that you don't get that bloom or blossom that you get from Fenders.

Just depends on what your thing is really. For softer or jazzier things I like that fenderness but for things more rock and country oriented I really like that voxy character.

• Members

I love the sound of my guitar running straight into my tube amp. with the vol knob on the guitar down and my pinky wrapped around it and the amp up there with a tweak of my finger the roar begins.

my vibrolux custom has a sweet spot just after five. not before.

• Members

Originally posted by SASQUATCH

I run my Boogie amp on the lead channel,, with the guitar volume down so it's clean, then crank the guitar to break it wide open.

Dave Gilmour uses a clean amp only, then gets all his dirt from pedals. He has done it that way his whole career.

Well then why don't the amp forum trolls call him up and bug the {censored} out of him about how much better amp distortion is?

:mad:

:D

Archived