Finally found a compact controller I like...

• Members

... and it's the Novation Remote Le 25. Had to jump on this one since they lowered the price to $99. For comparison, I previously owned the E-mu Xboard25 and the M-Audio Oxygen8. Both have been eBayed.

So how does the Novation compare?

- Keybed: Better keybed than the Oxygen (not surprising), and also better than the Xboard (which I really didn't have any real complaint about). To me the Novation feels "meatier" and somewhat more responsive.

- Knobs: better and more accurate than the Oxygen and Xboard. My gripe with the Xboard was that the knobs were too loose for my taste.

- Buttons: they're rubber. I couldn't stand the tactile plastic buttons that shook on the Xboard.

- Extras: the 2x16 character LCD screen is nice as are built in templates. The Remote also includes a registration key for Bass Station (haven't tried but I heard was pretty good) and another plus is it is class compliant and worked flawlessly both in Windows XP SP2 and MacOS 10.3.9 for me. No stupid drivers to install makes me very happy.

The best part is its $100 shipped (free shipping and no tax makes me even happier). The quality so far is excellent, and this is the bottom of the barrel model, so a big thumbs up to Novation for the the Remote 25 Le.

• Members

That's not a bad price on the Novation ReMOTE LE.

I have an Xboard 49 and I also don't like the rattling plastic buttons. The keyboard on mine makes an annoying "pinging" sound when keys are initially played, but for some reason stops doing this as I continue to play it.

I want to get a good USB/MIDI 61 note controller to replace the Xboard, either the Novation ReMOTE LE 61 or the Korg K-61 Studio Controller . I'd rather have less control knobs/sliders, no aftertouch and a better synth-action keyboard. Does anyone know how the action feels on the new Korg K Series boards?

• Members

Edirols PCR series is said to have a descent synth action.

I have one and like it, but have never really played anything else, besides the original "oxygen8" and microkorg. It's Way better than those, but that's not exactly high praise, nor is my expertise all that considerable. The thing has a good software editor, solid (if plastic) build and descent sysex capability. Roland style pitch bender. In fact, if I'm not mistaken edirol and roland are the same company.

Anyway, mines a couple years old and still works like new.

• Members

Really pleased about all this as I was thinking of either the Novation or the Xboard 49 key boards...

Seems like the best value remote board around with a decent key action... I hope to have it atop the CX3 organ hooked up to a laptop when I play live...

Mind you... considering the Novation is a UK company I'm a bit dismayed by the

• Members

Originally posted by Allerian

Is the K-61 available yet?

Online yes. Locally, it depends. I have seen the Korg K25 at my local Guitar Center... Those are going for $99, I dunno how much lower they'd go on those though...

• Members

Originally posted by orangefunk

I had the PCR50 and it was awful... I mean trully awful... the PCR50M is supposed to be okay...

Well, there ya go. I would probably weep from joy if I ever experienced great... I mean truly great... action.

• Members

Originally posted by Sinner6

Well, there ya go. I would probably weep from joy if I ever experienced great... I mean truly great... action.

I had a PCR30 which gained a failed keyboard. There was a notice circulated on the SOS site that Edirol had a product recall for such an event occuring. In my case they said that they would not cover it (it was 13 months old). I will not buy another Edirol product...

• Members

Cool! I ordered one a few days ago myself and it should be in tommorow. I'm going to use it to replace this horrible m-audio oxygen 8 P.O.S. I've had (for Monomachine toying around in bed). I was planning on getting the 61 Key version as well if I liked the 25 LE...but it's $299! Seems kinda crazy to pay three times as much for 36 more keys. Hopefully they'll drop that to around $199 in the next few months.

• Members

Originally posted by sevensinner

Online yes. Locally, it depends. I have seen the Korg K25 at my local Guitar Center... Those are going for $99, I dunno how much lower they'd go on those though...

NovaMusik tells me the K-61 is $149 on pre-order and will be in mid-June. $149! :)

• Members

i wish they would make an "LE plus", just the same but with aftertouch.

imho there should be a big market for gear that is as compact as possible, but still has the highest quality crammed in...

(i know there is a non-LE model, but that one is bigger and has knobs i don't need)

• Members

The guy on the video at sonicstate says this but then I saw this at the Novation site they say the oposite... very odd...

Q: Can I use aftertouch on the ReMOTE LE?

A: The keys on the ReMOTE LE do not have aftertouch but aftertouch is an assignable parameter within the MIDI spec. This means that the Touchpad could be used for aftertouch so that the right hand could play the notes whilst the left applies aftertouch on the pad.

I'm not sure now.... seems like there some discrepancies..

Can anyone confirm either way as this was a deal breaker for me...

• Members

This link says it does have AT

http://www.dv247.com/invt/29289/

Originally posted by orangefunk

The guy on the video at sonicstate says this but then I saw this at the Novation site they say the oposite... very odd...

Q: Can I use aftertouch on the ReMOTE LE?

A: The keys on the ReMOTE LE do not have aftertouch but aftertouch is an assignable parameter within the MIDI spec. This means that the Touchpad could be used for aftertouch so that the right hand could play the notes whilst the left applies aftertouch on the pad.

I'm not sure now.... seems like there some discrepancies..

Can anyone confirm either way as this was a deal breaker for me...

• Members

looking at those, id say it probably does not have AT..

it is more likely that the retail site would cut and paste a couple of wrong words,

than it is that novation themselves would write a whole paragraph specifically about it not having aftertouch (and be wrong) :)

Archived