What's a good multifx for gigging?

Lanefair

• Members

Originally posted by dot-dot-dot

My VG-88 worked fine for gigging-volume practices and jams.

I'd probably go for a GT-8.

Did you carry a backup plan in case it crapped out on you? Could you use the amp at all (dirt, fx loop) or did you just run it clean?

• Members

I use a Tonelab SE which has effects and amp and speaker sims. Sounds great. The only drawback is there is a limitation to how many effects can be used at once and which ones can be combined. It's a great gigging tool though.

I've heard people speak well of the Boss ME-50 too, though I have no experience myself.

• Members

Originally posted by GCDEF

I use a Tonelab SE which has effects and amp and speaker sims. Sounds great. The only drawback is there is a limitation to how many effects can be used at once and which ones can be combined. It's a great gigging tool though.

I've heard people speak well of the Boss ME-50 too, though I have no experience myself.

I almost tried the ME-50, but I heard there was a delay between patches, and I don't think the banking system could have done what I wanted on stage.

How do you use your amp with a multifx?

• Members

The GT-8 and Tonelab SE are good suggestions. I have a Boss GT-5 and ME-50 and like them a lot. The ME-50 is very straight-forward to use as most parameters are controlled with knobs and not via an LCD screen which suits an idiot like me. There's a cheap ME-50 on eBay right now and includes a FS-5U switch, good price IMO

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=22669&item=7331794600&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

• Members

The ME 50 sounds horrible IMHO. apart from the ME50 guy most players I know either never used multieffects or stopped using them.

A friend of mine has stopped using a GT6 for a board with 4 or 5 stompers on it.

If preset combinations of effects stop you from getting stompers you can get a 'loooper' Dot Dot Dot makes good ones and he'll custom make you one (and keep you informed of progress).

I personally use a couple of overdrive/fuzzes with various other effects as and when I want them. I keep my Boss pedals in a loop. I have a home made board and gaffa the pedals to it as and when I want them.

Just my opinion but I predict that if you buy a multi, you'll be adding pedals within a few months and ditching the multi a few months after that.

If you are not convinced, ask any multi effect user how they tweak their patches for home and gig levels and how they tweak their patches for each venue (size, acoustics etc).

• Members

Originally posted by CS

The ME 50 sounds horrible IMHO. apart from the ME50 guy most players I know either never used multieffects or stopped using them.

A friend of mine has stopped using a GT6 for a board with 4 or 5 stompers on it.

If preset combinations of effects stop you from getting stompers you can get a 'loooper' Dot Dot Dot makes good ones and he'll custom make you one (and keep you informed of progress).

I personally use a couple of overdrive/fuzzes with various other effects as and when I want them. I keep my Boss pedals in a loop. I have a home made board and gaffa the pedals to it as and when I want them.

Just my opinion but I predict that if you buy a multi, you'll be adding pedals within a few months and ditching the multi a few months after that.

If you are not convinced, ask any multi effect user how they tweak their patches for home and gig levels and how they tweak their patches for each venue (size, acoustics etc).

I started off using budget multifx's, now I've got a huge pedalboard with looper and all, but part of me wants to get a good multifx again so I can use it in simpler situations. I miss how functional they can be, even if they're not always practical.

• Members

Originally posted by Lanefair

Did you carry a backup plan in case it crapped out on you? Could you use the amp at all (dirt, fx loop) or did you just run it clean?

I had an Award JD-10 in case the worst happened, but in 3 or 4 years it never went wiggy at all. I just ran straight into PA - if I were gigging with it I'd take something like a keyboard amp or similar to give me some stage volume. The VG-88 doesn't sound its best into a guitar amp (though into a nice clean valve poweramp it's quite tasty).

Only reason I moved to pedals/amp was that I needed a rig that'd let me test the pedals I make. I've been trying to sell the VG-88 simply because I don't use it any more. Maybe I should trade it in for something. I fished it out the other day just to see what it sounded like to me now I've been using various analogue dirt pedals, and it still impresses me. Very flexible, huge range of sounds you can get from it and they're all good. Well, ok, if you want to you can make it sound awful, but that's true of anything.

• Members

I think a good multi effects unit can be part of a great pedalboard rig. I really like the way I can have delay, modultion and reverb customized for every song that I play live. And I can change perameters with the expression pedal. I've owned a Red Witch and a MXR EVH but I still prefer the phase on my old GT-3 for example.

• Members

Bottom line:

Get a good amp to run it though and you'll be OK...

I use a GNX3 live and it's cool, I use the delays, distortion, whammy, envelope, tremolo, leslie... the looper/digital recorder is cool as hell. I've written several songs with help from that thing.

I'd check the GNX4 if I were you, it's the newest version and supposedly kicks the GNX3's ass.

• Members

Originally posted by CS

I accept multi-fxs are'nt everyone's cup of tea but for bedroom practice I like my GT-5 and ME-50. I plug mine straight into the front end of a Cornford Harlequin or Vox V15 and it sounds very good indeed. The dirt sounds are'nt the best but passable and the effects are generally usable. Just have to tweak around a bit as the factory presets are pretty useless.

• Members

Originally posted by orourke

I think a good multi effects unit can be part of a great pedalboard rig. I really like the way I can have delay, modultion and reverb customized for every song that I play live. And I can change perameters with the expression pedal. I've owned a Red Witch and a MXR EVH but I still prefer the phase on my old GT-3 for example.

yup, this is another cool feature of ME. You can save effects patches for each song. You can change your delay and reverbs on the fly. You can blend clean and dirty tones with the expression pedal.

• Members

Originally posted by phoenix_76

I accept multi-fxs are'nt everyone's cup of tea but for bedroom practice I like my GT-5 and ME-50. I plug mine straight into the front end of a Cornford Harlequin or Vox V15 and it sounds very good indeed. The dirt sounds are'nt the best but passable and the effects are generally usable. Just have to tweak around a bit as the factory presets are pretty useless.

Just trying to give another point of view. I've toyed with the idea of using stompers and a Lexicon MPX.

• Members

Originally posted by CS

Just trying to give another point of view. I've toyed with the idea of using stompers and a Lexicon MPX.

+1...I use good multi-channel tube amp, with a couple OD pedals and have a rocktron rack unit for modulation and delays in my effects loop. Control the small rack and amp channel switching with a midi pedal board. Best setup for me.

• Members
Originally posted by CS

I certainly appreciate that was your intention :cool:

Just wanted to say that providing you invest a little time in setting up a multi-fx and play it through a decent amp, you can get decent returns for your efforts :)

• Members

Originally posted by Jaymeister

+1...I use good multi-channel tube amp, with a couple OD pedals and have a rocktron rack unit for modulation and delays in my effects loop. Control the small rack and amp channel switching with a midi pedal board. Best setup for me.

I'm starting to see the sense in that method. That behringer foot controller thingy looks good, and it has channel switching. My one concern is that if the multifx you're using is in the fx loop of the amp, are you limited to using modulation and delay/reverb sounds on it, or could you still use stuff that usually goes before the amp (compressor/od etc)

• Members

Originally posted by RoboPimp

You can blend clean and dirty tones with the expression pedal.

No, you can't do that with the ME-50. But you can with the GT-8. I have one and it's much more flexible than the ME-50, sounds better, offers more control and you can combine more effects. Also, with the ME-50, there is a delay in switching patches, and if you want to be able to switch patches with your feet you have to spend more money on the external footswitches.

• Members

GT series from Boss are what I would recommend. Boss have a great reputation for reliablily. I use a GT3 in front of my Mesa F50 for tone colouring and effects, but use my Mesa for distortion/clean tone. One thing you must know is that the Boss GT preset are designed to sound good in a loud music store, but need lots of tweak for a real mans rig. That means treble is turned up and most of the effect are up too high hence allowing is to sound good at low volumes, and cut through in a loud music store. Using the GT effect subtly is what really brings out the beauty of these units.

No experience with Line6 stuff, so I can't comment. But I know alot of people use them. So they must have something going for them.

• Members

Here's a photo from a few months ago. My rig is pretty much the same, I just not using the EVH so I have a little more room to stomp. The DS-1, and TS-9 are all Keeley modded.
pedalboardmarchfifth.jpg

In some ways the GT-3 is the best of the GT serise on the basis of size. You really get a lot of bang for the size of this unit. If I get a GT-8, I'd have to loose my 535Q Wha. I've tried the Wah on the GT-8 and regretably it doesn't even come close to the Dunlop (same with the old GT-3) So the GT-8 has a few of the same drawbacks as the older models from what I seen.

• Members

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Jaymeister

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Lanefair

I'm starting to see the sense in that method. That behringer foot controller thingy looks good, and it has channel switching. My one concern is that if the multifx you're using is in the fx loop of the amp, are you limited to using modulation and delay/reverb sounds on it, or could you still use stuff that usually goes before the amp (compressor/od etc)

I have the same setup as Jaymeister... Rocktron in the loop and use it mostly for delay and reverb. I also use all the other stuff at different times out front. I use a Roctron Midi-Mate foot controller.

Archived