Boss Pedal Buffer upgrade

88mm

• Members

I have a Boss DS-1. And I am liking. This is my first Boss pedal.

I have had mostly True Bypass pedals and I have noticed a slight change in sound when the Boss is off. It sounds kind of like when you plug your guitar directly into mixing board. That's the best way I can describe it.

Anyway I am pretty handy with the Iron and was curious if there are some Buffer upgrades or if it is easy to rehouse and True Bypass this thing.

Thanks!

• Members

yeah alot of those boss pedals suffer from that. sound good when engaged (based on the users tastes) - but turn off and you loose some high end and punch. it gets worse as you use more boss pedals.

i have a boss chorus i really like and i have not had those tone sucking problems since getting my red jekyll&hyde ultimate overdrive/distortion last year. its got a kickass buffer and i run it first and the buffer works through all the pedals placed after it! i run 6 pedals after it and dont loose anything, but of course if i take the red J&H away then i get that flat thing going loosing punch

• Members

Give me a week or two. I'm testing out at the moment replacing the current buffer with a FET buffer with a higher input impedence. I'll post back when I've fully tested it. I'll be trying it with two Ibanez TS-5s as I happen to have two and I can do an AB test. :)

• Members

Originally posted by 88mm

Does that buffer realy make that much of a difference?

Cause I have been wanting a H2O for sometime now.

i know for a fact that the one in the red J&H works wonders for keeping a punchy tone. i run 6 pedals after mine and its great. if for some reason i take the J&H off the board (its first) it just reminds me how well it buffers because my tone gets a little weak and sterile.

anyway, if its the same buffer (and im sure it would be) it works great, but the thing is you really need it 1st in-line on your pedalboard/setup. that way it buffers that pedal and everything after it. i dont know how close to the ned of the chain you run the chorus but i do know overall it works much better when placed first. i tried putting my fuzz 1st and its not the same. putting it later in-line could bring back some punch i think, but it would still not be as effective when 1st inline.

just my 2 cent

• Members

Originally posted by 88mm

Anything with a buffer in front of my Fuzz Face's (2 of them) doesn't sound well with the fuzz.

Thanks for the help guys.

really?

its the opposite for me

i tried putting my fuzz first before the red J&H and it was awful, the tone just thinned out so much. but placed 2nd all was good again

Archived