The Ultimate Metal Pedal

Violentsa

• Members

on the same note, i also found a guitar world magazine from september last year, praising the rocktron you've been talking about...

would anyone who knows stuff about both the metalplanet and the ubermetal care to compare, contrast and comment on the two? thank you..

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This may not be the answer your looking for but the best metal sounds I have gotten from PEDALS is running an overdrive into a fuzz pedal running into a slightly dirty tube amp. Sounds huge but you really have to tweak each pedal to prevent muddiness. I agree with the people who say use an overdirve into a high gain tube amp. IMHO most amp distortion sounds good but tends to be dry(especially higher wattage amps that you can't really crank at most gigs), an overdrive will add some saturation and tighten things up.

• Members

Originally posted by Rocky101

This may not be the answer your looking for but the best metal sounds I have gotten from PEDALS is running an overdrive into a fuzz pedal running into a slightly dirty tube amp. Sounds huge but you really have to tweak each pedal to prevent muddiness. I agree with the people who say use an overdirve into a high gain tube amp. IMHO most amp distortion sounds good but tends to be dry(especially higher wattage amps that you can't really crank at most gigs), an overdrive will add some saturation and tighten things up.

haha, dude, we are talking about DIGITAL Amps here... everyone knows about the tubes, as we mentioned above.. that would all be friggin great if we could all get a nice tube head with killer distortion.. it's quite oubvious metal distortion pedals are generally nothing special, seeing as how no artists use them.... but gun to your head, which of the pedals would you choose?

• Members

I suggest these...
Sansamp GT-2
M.I. Tube Zone
Line 6 Uber
Rocktron Metal Master

Beware the Metal Zone, it sounds fizzy at gigging volumes, strictly for bedroom players. Of course, a hi gain amp is the best answer...

• Members

Originally posted by Lowchunk

I suggest these...

Sansamp GT-2

M.I. Tube Zone

Line 6 Uber

Rocktron Metal Master

Beware the Metal Zone, it sounds fizzy at gigging volumes, strictly for bedroom players. Of course, a hi gain amp is the best answer...

i could have sworn it was rocktron metal planet

.... would you say rocktron is better than uber?

• Members

Related:
Does the Uber-Metal achieve the same sounds as a Spider II on "Insane". If no, does any affordable pedal do that?

It must be noted that I am asking this because my fifteen year old brother like the insane channel but wants it in pedal form. I'm trying to steer him towards a fair quality amp but he still claims he needs that sound for his band.

• Members

Originally posted by Vere

Related:

Does the Uber-Metal achieve the same sounds as a Spider II on "Insane". If no, does any affordable pedal do that?

It must be noted that I am asking this because my fifteen year old brother like the insane channel but wants it in pedal form. I'm trying to steer him towards a fair quality amp but he still claims he needs that sound for his band.

it CAN get that tone, but it can get sooo much more as well.... i mean, i have the spider 2, and i got the ubermetal, because whilst i was happy with the insane and stuff, sometimes it just didnt cut it for me... with this babe i can get it, and alot more as well... the thing is, i actually did like my insane alot, and i wanted to be able to take it to whatever amp with me, and this pedal can do that... so teh answer to your question is "mos def". No other pedal can actually get you that sound as far as i've looked... i've tried quite a couple too, i might add..

p.s. if you need convincing play it out for yourself.... your brother should know by now that the pedal doesn't have an "insane" mode for nothing

• Members

As a metalhead constantly hunting for THE tone, I got some input here too.

1) The best sounds come from a boosting, slightly overdriven pedal into a medium gain amp.
One of these:
MXR Micro Amp
Boss BD-2
Boss OD-3
Marshall The Guv'nor MKI
DOD 250 Overdrive
Zoom PD-01
Zoom HL-01

2) The Boss Metal Zone (MT-2, not the MZ-2!!!) sux. Thin, scratchy sound, and with the gain down, it still sounds crap. It can do 1 sound very well, but you have to tweak alot and use lots of mids.

3) the most insane gain I got is from a Zoom Driver 5000. This is the heaviest, tightest, phattest pedal by far, but compared to the tip under 1), it sounds a bit artificial.

4) the Line 6 Uber Metal actually still sounds great with lower gain levels, which means you can use it for regular rock sounds too. I liked this one way better than the Metal Zone.

5) Don't forget the Zoom Hyper Lead HL-01 as a stand-alone pedal! Be easy with the bass level though, as it can choke up pretty quick, but there are some awesome 'Gary Moore meets George Lynch, on steroids' types of sounds to be had.

I'll soon acquire a Rocktron Metal Planet from Jon Hiller, and let you all know how that sounds, since I got quite some experience with other metal pedals.

Still trying to find a nice boxed Boss HM-2 Heavy Metal and MZ-2 Digital Metalizer.

• Members
Originally posted by Speeddemon

As a metalhead constantly hunting for THE tone, I got some input here too.

2) The Boss Metal Zone (MT-2, not the MZ-2!!!) sux. Thin, scratchy sound, and with the gain down, it still sounds crap. It can do 1 sound very well, but you have to tweak alot and use lots of mids.

4) the Line 6 Uber Metal actually still sounds great with lower gain levels, which means you can use it for regular rock sounds too. I liked this one way better than the Metal Zone.

I'll soon acquire a Rocktron Metal Planet from Jon Hiller, and let you all know how that sounds, since I got quite some experience with other metal pedals.

ditto...

btw, aquiring it, i don't know about, most people who i've talked to or forumed with have described it as being EXACTLY like the metal zone, only a tiny BIT better... so you might wanna try it first :)

• Members

Well, Jon gives forumites a decent price and besides, in Europe the pedal is so much more expensive, I can resell it probably at profit or break even.

But from what I've heard, the Metal Planet has a smoother top-end, and not the biting, fizzy, harshness.

To some extent I want to be (just like BandofThieves and AcidTest) a source of information regarding metal distortion pedals.

There are too many kids out there still praising the Metal Zone, only because they've never tried something better.

If you wouldn't know Kate Beckinsale existed, you'd think Meg White is really hot! :rolleyes:

Boss MT-2 Metal Zone:
th_92a54b93.jpg

Diezel Herbert or Soldano SLO100 or Engl SE:
Kate_Beckinsale.jpg

;):cool:

• Members

Originally posted by Hell Bites

That's the guitarist using his whammy bar, doing what metal guitarists call "flutter." You can hear flutter being used by John Petrucci on the Dream Theater song Under a Glass Moon. You can also hear it on Saxon's song Metalhead.

oh yeah? children of bodom uses it a lot, too. i just never knew the name for that sound. how exactly do they use their whammy bars to get it?

• Members

I gotta agree that the Tube Zone can cover scooped or unscooped metal easily, but since I'm not a metal connoisseur, I couldn't tell much about it's qualities. Check out the clips on the MI Audio site tho'.
http://www.miaudio.com/

Anyone try this one? Hehe...glow in the dark graphics.
morpheus.jpg
http://www.g2d.co.nz/products/productdetail.php?ID=4
http://harmony-central.com/Effects/Data/G2D/Morpheus-01.html

• Members

Originally posted by Nico de Roode

Since nobody mentioned it: THE ZOOM DRIVER 5000.

I think with the right (that is clean) amp there is nothing better.

yep, i had it, that thing is metal incarnate, and so versatile.

i saw another one in kagoshima for 50$, passed..

• Members

I posted a bunch a while back to find the best metal pedal out there. I tried the mt-2, metal master, warp factor, death metal, uber metal, zoom driver 5000 various peavey heads, and i looked into the tri-metal, rocktron silver dragon, and tonebone hot british. For metal, The best hands down is the ZOOM DRIVER 5000. It is a great pedal. I use mine with an EQ and a boss eh-2 enhancer, but even without them, its great. They are not super easy to find because zoom doesnt make them anymore, but there is usually 1 or more on ebay every week.

• Members
Originally posted by Speeddemon

Boss MT-2 Metal Zone:

th_92a54b93.jpg

Diezel Herbert or Soldano SLO100 or Engl SE:

Kate_Beckinsale.jpg

;):cool:

LOL

it's too bad this zoom 5000's been disontinued, it sounds pretty nice... and i'm not that big on e-bay, so i'll probably stick with the next best thing, my ubermetal

• Members

honest to god, i can't believe how great the mt2 is doing and how crappy the master is doing.... imo, ppl who voted for the mt-2 just got it cause it was THE metal pedal to get, and now they're sticking up for their rig.... but seriously, like NO ONE is supporting the metal master, although from what i read it was just as, if not more, popular than the mt-2....

• Members
Originally posted by innobidova

oh yeah? children of bodom uses it a lot, too. i just never knew the name for that sound. how exactly do they use their whammy bars to get it?

I'm afraid I'm not a hundred percent sure. I'm about to get my first guitar with a floyd rose. I've been using a strat for metal forever :(

From the looks of it and I remember my old guitar teacher used to use it. You seem to hit the whammy bar hard and fast and it basically swings up and down. Thus your floyd has to be floating.

• Members

ok i got the ubermetal after having one final showdown between it and the metal zone in the shop today.... it wasn't even a fair challenge, sorry guys, but the boss is crap, it shouldn't be called metal zone, it should be called country/rock zone, cause that's as far as it gets...

i have to say line 6 have really outdone themselves this time, and the ueber has surpassed all my expectations... thanks for everyone who posted here and shared their expertise...

• 3 weeks later...

Archived