Thelonius vs. Drano in Race to the Bottom

drano

• Members

Originally posted by Fret Wire Man

Well, Mr. Campbell is probably right about the function of a troll but he's got his linguistics fouled-up. A "troll" is not the person doing the posting. The "troll" is the post itself. The expression does not come from those little blow-molded plastic dolls with the giant heads of hair like from the 60's. The expression comes from the fisherman's technique of hanging a lure out on a fixed-length line from a fishing boat and letting the motor do the work of activating the lure as it is pulled through the water, thereby attracting fish, which inevitably respond to the lure and are caught when the hook is set. This saves the fisherman the laborious grind of repeatedly casting the lure out and reeling it in by hand in order to keep the lure active to attract fish. This lazier and much more pleasant technique is called "trolling". It has nothing to do with trolls.

But, pissing people off is definitely not my motive. I seem to be accomplishing my mission. And I seem to be pissing some people off. But that is purely a side-effect. If somebody is pissed off at me it's because they take offense easily and they have made some unnecessary assuptions about me. What the hell am I supposed to do about that?

• Members
Originally posted by Thelonius

You left Baby Oil Twister off of your list.
:confused:

Never tried that pedal.;)

Effects
Stomp boxes, multi-effects, and towering racks.

Drano, thats HC's definition of this section of the forum. Just wondering if you have any interest, questions, or advice about effects.

• Members

Originally posted by jackfendeyrockandroll

whats with all the sub 100 count guys complaining about OT posts? this isn't the FDP

What's with all the post-count snobs around here? Is there something about having enough time on your hands to hang out on a message board to get over 100 count that somehow legitimizes that poster? That's some pretty large bull{censored}.

• Members

Originally posted by drano

What's with all the post-count snobs around here? Is there something about having enough time on your hands to hang out on a message board to get over 100 count that somehow legitimizes that poster? That's some pretty large bull{censored}.

Well sorta. I mean for instance, he went after you, not me so no biggie. But he could easily call my trolliness and offtopicness into question. But he's got 122 posts overall. And he's been here a year. I have more on topic posts in the lsat month, just fx related, not mentioning guitars and amps, than he has in his entire posting career.

I don't blame him for that. Nor is it good I spend so much time here.

It's simply saying that someone else isn't particularly in a position yet to insult.

Remember when Magic Johnson got HIV? And all these {censored}ing goober chess club dorks were going "well..he shouldn't have been cheating on his wife"

And they had a point. However, I notice hot ass bitches weren't lined up at their doorstep every freakin' night of the week begging and pleading just to let themselves rub their privates up on his kneecap.

After you've been here a while, established yourself, gotten to know some people, even met a few of them outside of the forum, find people you have things in common with, it's a lot easier to veer off topic.

• Members

Effects

Stomp boxes, multi-effects, and towering racks.

Drano, thats HC's definition of this section of the forum. Just wondering if you have any interest, questions, or advice about effects.

Here. Take your pick. Nobody seems too interested in my question today about pedals -- like ZERO replies. And apparently you didn't notice my advise to others on the subject, either.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/search.php?action=showresults&searchid=3484546&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending

• Members

No its that people don't like new people coming in to a group and throwing their weight around.

Doesn't bother me, though.

You won't be her long enough to see 1000 posts.

• Members

Well, the best of us have to bump sometimes. :)

I did notice a couple of OCD threads though. Perhaps one of the reasons they didn't get answered (I know this is a pisspoor excuse, as an fx forum we should do better to people who may be brand new or out of town, etc) is that last week I believe, actually in the last few weeks there have been assloads upon assloads of OCD threads. One after another.

Granted yours may have brought up new points/questions, but maybe people see OCD and go "oh boy not this again"

• Members

Well sorta. I mean for instance, he went after you, not me so no biggie. But he could easily call my trolliness and offtopicness into question. But he's got 122 posts overall. And he's been here a year. I have more on topic posts in the lsat month, just fx related, not mentioning guitars and amps, than he has in his entire posting career.

I don't blame him for that. Nor is it good I spend so much time here.

It's simply saying that someone else isn't particularly in a position yet to insult.

You probably do have more posts in a month than I do period. I've probably built and modded more pedals than you've played in the last year. What's either have to do with anything? I don't mind OT, but pretty much stay on topic because I don't spend all my time on the internet.

Anyways, I think the sub 100 thing was directed at me, not Drano. I wasn't insulting Drano, just pointing out what I felt he was doing.

But, if everyones fears about MF is true, you will all have low post counts soon.

• Members

After you've been here a while, established yourself, gotten to know some people, even met a few of them outside of the forum, find people you have things in common with, it's a lot easier to veer off topic.

Believe it or not, Thelonius, I was with ya on EVERYTHING you posted today until that little (collective) self-delusion. Face it. That's not how internet message boards work. I registered. I posted. That's it. If the guy paying for the server wants to delete my threads or my posts or boot me altogether he can do that. But until then a poster is poster is a poster in the real internet. This imaginary "insider" status is just ridiculous.

• Members

You probably do have more posts in a month than I do period. I've probably built and modded more pedals than you've played in the last year. What's either have to do with anything?

Nothing..I was just explaining the answer to a question is all. Using you as an example..didn't mean to begrudge you in any way.

:)

• Members

Believe it or not, Thelonius, I was with ya on EVERYTHING you posted today until that little (collective) self-delusion. Face it. That's not how internet message boards work. I registered. I posted. That's it. If the guy paying for the server wants to delete my threads or my posts or boot me altogether he can do that. But until then a poster is poster is a poster in the real internet. This imaginary "insider" status just ridiculous.

If all posters are equal, then all posts are equal, thus OT posts are just as valid as on topic.

Thus... coke, smile, etc.

Archived