Help with Glass Ge Diodes

badmuddy

• Members

i have a guitar pedal, an overdrive, that has 1 of a set of 2 germanium diodes that needs to be replaced. i was hoping someone might identify it from the bands (it's a glass diode) at the cathode end. the 1st band is red (it's a distinct, thin red band, it does not completely cover the cathode end!). the 2nd band is black, and it's the same thickness.

the other there is only 1 of, and it LOOKS to be a 4148/419 type, though i'm finding many that look the same, including zener's. i only mention this in hoping someone might be familiar with the building of overdrives, distortions & fuzzes, and would recognize a diode commonly used by itself, as opposed to the glass pair above in the 1st paragraph. anyway,

do you know what these are? anyone have either of these (particularly the glass ge diodes)? thanx,

ml

:confused:

• Members

it's a one-off fulton-webb proto called the textosterone. they are completely ignoring my requests for help of any kind. doesn't say much for the prospect of buying one of their amps 2nd-hand, eh? anyway, it's an opamp based od. it's very dumbly-sounding, actually.

ml

• Members

actually, i had bookmarked these 1n34a's, which DO look like the one's in the ped, except for the fact that the 1st band isn't red:

99_1_b.JPG

then i found n270's & n277's, which are also similar:

d6_1_b.JPG

and these (oa685's):

d1_1_b.JPG

hmmm, so tell me, on the smaller one (of which there was only one), do you rekkon' it's the silicon n419/4148 or the ge small signal 1n34a's i found here?:

26_1_b.JPG

thanx for the help, btw!

ml

• Members

right, i think i'm starting to get a handle on this. the small guy is either a 1n4148 or 1n419 si diode, used for asymmetrical clipping (OR... it's for the led). the larger clear glass one is probably a vintage 1n34a or 1n270 ge diode, for which they used a pair. so, do i wanna pull the one 1n34a out and stick in an identical pair, or leave it and just throw in another vintagey one, even though it probably won't have the same colour & # of bands as the original?

ml

Archived