Which Distortion Pedal?

• Members

Hey guys, with me getting a new guitar very soon I was looking to invest in a distortion pedal. My general playing style is hard rock/heavy metal. I have heard of the BOSS SD 2 Turbo Distorion Pedal (I think thats is the name.) for $70 bucks. I also heard Digitech is good as well. I am not looking to spend more than $100 on the pedal just considering I am paying $1000 for my guitar. (Jackson RR5) So what do you guys suggest?

Mike

• Members

I don't really have much recent experience with solid state amps. The Boss pedals typically sound best when used to push a tube amp. Back about 10 years ago I was using a Tech 21 Sans Amp GT2 into a solid state amp. That seemed to sound ok as far as I remember.

• Members

Kind of an expensive guitar to play through a solid state amp. You probably would have been better off getting a $600 guitar and spending a little more on a tube amp.

I'd recommend selling off the solid state amp and starting out with a Peavey Classic or an entry level Fender tube amp(Blues Jr. or Hot Rod Deluxe). Get a good distortion box like a RAT and start saving up for a stack - something like a Marshall DSL would do that guitar justice.

• Members

i gotta say consider the Rat too. it's got enough flexibility to dial in some (lots of?) decent tones with almost any rig. in that regards, mine (a late 80's model) has been doing service over the last 10 years with a classic 50, marshall jcm800, carvin x60 & x100b, sf twin reverb, crate gc120 :eek: it serves well as an od, distortion, and fuzz, so regardless of your rig.....

and keep the classic 30 in mind too. ;)

Archived