Horror movies: I'm totally out of the loop

jcn37203

• Members

I love horror flicks, but the female currently residing in my house (ok, our house) hates them. As a result, I've gone totally stale. I don't even know what I've missed.

So, rewind back about 2 or 3 years maybe, which ones should I add to my Netflix queue?

I saw Dawn of the Dead, that was the one scary movie she agreed to go see, and swears she'll never see another one.

I know Land of the Dead is still out there, want to see that one.

What else?

• Members

Originally posted by ColorsoundKid

more thriller than horror, but excellent

memento

Yeah I saw Memento, that was great.

What do you guys think of these Rob Zombie movies?

I finally saw House of 1000 Corpses.

It was... ehhh... it was a Rob Zombie movie.

• Members

Originally posted by jcn37203

Yeah I saw Memento, that was great.

What do you guys think of these Rob Zombie movies?

I finally saw House of 1000 Corpses.

It was... ehhh... it was a Rob Zombie movie.

stupid, over-hyped letdown.

don't have much hope for The Devil's Rejects, either.

i have to say it - CGI has ruined modern horror.

look at films like The Thing, Alien, or Scanners, and most would agree - they all hold their own against the advancement of CGI film FX, for the simple fact that your brain doesn't quickly sort out the fake from the real in a shot where the FX actually appear alongside the live subjects.

i don't know why hollywood hasn't figured that out yet - they just seem to be smitten with the technology, without actually admitting it's limitations in the overall effect of the film experience.

• Members

For a side-by-side example of this, watch The Grudge and Ju-On in the same night.

Ju-On is the Japanese movie that The Grudge was based on. It does use some CGI stuff, but only for a couple of scenes, most of it is done with makeup, camera angles and costumes/props. Old school.

I'm not saying Ju-On is better or scarier than The Grudge. In fact, even with the subtitles it was hella hard to figure out wtf was going on. But it definitely shows that the old ways can still be employed to a desired effect. And it's an interesting watch nonetheless.

Originally posted by sonaboy

stupid, over-hyped letdown.

don't have much hope for The Devil's Rejects, either.

i have to say it - CGI has ruined modern horror.

look at films like The Thing, Alien, or Scanners, and most would agree - they all hold their own against the advancement of CGI film FX, for the simple fact that your brain doesn't quickly sort out the fake from the real in a shot where the FX actually appear alongside the live subjects.

i don't know why hollywood hasn't figured that out yet - they just seem to be smitten with the technology, without actually admitting it's limitations in the overall effect of the film experience.

• Members
Originally posted by jcn37203

For a side-by-side example of this, watch The Grudge and Ju-On in the same night.

Ju-On is the Japanese movie that The Grudge was based on. It does use some CGI stuff, but only for a couple of scenes, most of it is done with makeup, camera angles and costumes/props. Old school.

I'm not saying Ju-On is better or scarier than The Grudge. In fact, even with the subtitles it was hella hard to figure out wtf was going on. But it definitely shows that the old ways can still be employed to a desired effect. And it's an interesting watch nonetheless.

Yes, i enjoyed the jap (metal screw) version of The Grudge.
:D

having said that - i thought the american version of The Ring was far superior.

• Members

Yes, i enjoyed the jap (metal screw) version of The Grudge.

:D

having said that - i thought the american version of The Ring was far superior.

Hmm, I have Rungu on DVD, but haven't gotten around to seeing it yet.

• Members

I've been hearing good things about a new low budget flick called Shallow Ground. I'm watching it tonight, so I'll let you know.

I like Dog Soldiers, but it's totally schlock.

I love Frailty, but I'm not sure how long that's been out. It's not horror in the traditional sense, but it's cool.

Other than that Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead and 28 Days Later are the only ones that really come to mind as being good in the past couple of years.

• Members

Dog Soldiers

{censored} YEAH. most disgustingly gory movie I've ever seen, and hardly anyone knows about it. Awesome movie. I've heard rumors of a sequel.

PS - Darkness Falls is absolute {censored}... worst movie ever

• Members
Originally posted by Rasta Shaft

I liked the new "Texas Chainsaw Massacre".

+1 me too... but you know the part when leatherface is chasing the victims through the hanging laundry? I started laughing hysterically til the point of tears because all I could think of was those Snuggle Bear add's with the little bear running through hanging sheets.

Everyone looked at me like I was a sicko and my girlfriend at the time lightly slapped me.

Something like this happened in the Ring, also.. when the horse fell off the boat. :confused:

• Members
Originally posted by msalamander

Is Dog Soldiers the one about the werewolves and the british military guys? If so I caught that on tv one night and enjoyed it. Fun flick.

Yeah :) They're Scottish in the movie... the movie is supposed to be set in Scotland. It's set in Denmark because the Scottish government wouldn't let them film it in their country :) :)

THAT'S how awesome the movie is.

• Members

Originally posted by miles mayhem

I just read an interview with Rob Zombie about Devil's Rejects (in the Scene), and now I really want to see it. Give me a shout if you're interested, Jason.

Wow, it opens on the 22nd.

Hell yeah, thats a go.

Archived