Truly Beautiful Disaster Tips?

deadbob166

• Members

So I got a TBD today and so far I'm loving it, but I'm finding it hard to get usable settings that would actually work in a song. It's great for messing with the feedback loop and making noise but i need some more stable settings too. This is the first pedal i've owned that can do such crazy things, so anyone out there who's messed with one before got any tips to share?

• Members

I tried one in a tourbox thing and didn't get on with it at all. You had to have the volume on full to get anything at all out if it, which makes the volume knob a total waste of space. Then the output was too high anyway, and to me it just sounded like a poorly biased fuzz with non-matched transistors and a lot of knobs stuck on in places where they didn't much help.

If I'd made a fuzz like that I'd throw it away.

• Members

Originally posted by deadbob166

so anyone out there who's messed with one before got any tips to share?

I had the UK mini tourbox after Dot Dot Dot. Keeping my comments constructive, here's some tips on using the thing.

Consider it as having three purposes.

1 An unusual fuzz

2 A feedback loop

3 A true Bypass loop.

Stick a number of pedals in the loop and it can either control them or manipulate them. With a delay in the loop and the feedback on it filters the repeats. Touch the eye and it oscillates. Stick a fuzz in there (I had a Big Cheese at the time) and it squeals like a fuzz factory. Set the BD side fuzz up to taste (yes it's difficult) and use that sound sparsely.

IMHO it's a noise pedal not a fuzz face. Use all of the functions sparingly and it becomes useful.

• Members

Lots of experimentation. This is a pedal that you HAVE to spend time with for EVERY single sound you're trying to come up with. It's definitely not a set it and forget it type pedal, and it's not one that you use to quickly dial up a sound. I only pull mine out when I need a strange sound to record. I can't imagine trying to use it live though (unless it was for a single sound only).

Archived