Is a 7c an ok mouthpiece to learn to play trumpet on?

• Members

OK, awesome. My tone sucks, but I can play most of the notes so far. It's hard playing trumpet when tuba was your first brass instrument.

Apparently it's harder going the other way around.... Tuba players I know have no problem playing bone, and can get a decent (ok, less than decent) sound out of a trumpet, but I've been trying to learn bone and it's hellishly hard, and the one time I tried to play a tuba, I could hit exactly one note.

• Members

Keep at it AntiStuff. A 7c is a good starting point. I started with that, too.

As you probably know, practice regularly, and not too long at one sitting at first. You are developing muscles you haven't used much, and that takes time...

Regards,

Jim

• Members

Apparently it's harder going the other way around.... Tuba players I know have no problem playing bone, and can get a decent (ok, less than decent) sound out of a trumpet, but I've been trying to learn bone and it's hellishly hard, and the one time I tried to play a tuba, I could hit exactly one note.

that's because Low Brass is just the best :wave:

• Members

I can't even buzz on a tuba mouthpiece!

The 7c is a good starting point. Once you develop some muscle and feel, you can start looking at different mouthpieces to better suit your embouchure.

Heck, every Bach trumpet built comes with a 7c, I believe, and most other horns come with an equivalent mouthpiece.

Archived