So after months of research I finally pulled the trigger on a...

chadsxe

• Members

After many months of research I finally was able to place an order for a Novation SL 61. Which by the way is in now in stock. I will have it tomrrow (overnighted it) and will give you guys some impressions as soon as I can remove mysefl from it.

Thanks for the help guys

Chad

-CE-

• Members

Originally posted by chadsxe

After many months of research I finally was able to place an order for a Novation SL 61. Which by the way is in now in stock. I will have it tomrrow (overnighted it) and will give you guys some impressions as soon as I can remove mysefl from it.

Thanks for the help guys

Chad

-CE-

What part of chitown are you from? :wave:

• Members

Would love to hear your thoughts on the SL, especially the feel of the keys, and what you will be using them for. :D

I'm trying to decide between a Roland Fantom X6 or a XR + Novation SL61 combo.

I've got an RD700 for piano playing, and I would like the soft keys for stuff like organs and strings, brass, etc, and maybe you can comment?

Congrats on the purchase, by the way :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by chadsxe

Far southside....Mt. Greenwood area.....111th and kedzie....what about you...

Ah, cool. I lived in lincoln park for a few years towards the beginning of my stint at DePaul. Now I'm back living in the north suburbs while I finish up my degree.

• Members

UPDATE:

So I ordered it from Sweetwater.com on Wen. & got it on Friday of last week. Of the bat I noticed the actual box was pretty ruffed up do to shipping. If I was home when they delivered it I would have refused it. So instead I opened it up to view things further. It appered that only the outer layer of the box seen any kind of damage and that all things inside were packed and in good condition. I then when ahead and set everything up. There was little setup in involved i.e. drivers, templates, and instaling the OS on the SL but it was very straight forward. I think opened up Sonar, ReWired Reason in and the SL automapped just like it was suppose to. Next came the actual hardware test. I started checking ever thin out. Twisting knobs, moving sliders, kitting heys erc. The knobs feel solid, the sliders have a nice force to them, and the keys feel great (just like the othe ReMOTES). I then went from the lowest key to the highest to check for anything weird. DoDaDoDaDoDoDaDoDaDoDaDoDoDaDoDaDoDo DoDa Wait what the hell. DoDo DoDa oh you got to be kidding me. Moving on up the the rest of the keys I had two more dead ones for a total of three dead keys. Oh sigh......I guess The package went through alittle more bumping then I thought. So I call Sweetwater up and told my sales rep the news. He told me that he is going to put me through with the tech department. Ring Ring "Hello this is tech, Your rep said you had a problem with you Novation SL 61. Can you tell me if you are working on a PC or a MAC, what host program you working through, etc..." There tech department is top notch. They had someone there who basically walked me through every backdoor of Sonar just to make sure it was not a software issue. So they ended up coming to conclusion that FedEx sent my package on a roller coaster before the gave it to me. They also mentioned that they knew just what the problem was and gave me two options.

1. Return it to them

2. They will walk me through the fix.

I told them I would rather not be responsible for it and have them give me a new one. I guess this happens a lot with anytype of midi controller/keyboard/synth that goes through the mail (at least according to them). The key bed eaither shifts and/or the sping for the keys shifts. They said that is there number one problem with all types of keys they ship and that it is really really easy to fix. He was willing to tell me step by step on how to open up and fix the novation.

Anyways, long story short Fedex messed some things up. They overnighted me a new one yesterday and I will be getting it in about 4 hours tops. I will keep you guys update.

P.s. I am to lazy to edit this for any grammer so please excuse me.

• Members

Hey chadsxe,

I was looking through some videos at SonicState, and realized that this controller was a lot bigger than anticipated.

Well, it's got a lot of stuff on there, so maybe it really isn't much of a suprise...

What are your initial impressions concerning its total size and weight?

How about the size of the faders, pads, buttons, etc.? Anticipate any problems using them?

Congrats on your purchase, and hope this one remains solid! :thu:

Archived