pedal for Weezer blue album crunch.

• Members

I don't listen to Weezer much, but what about that Glitch Computer you're borrowing? If you set the octave blend and tracking deviation at lower levels, it is possible to thicken your sound without everything reverting to 8-bit confusion ... the tone in question sort of reminds me of "Buddy Holly" ... but I suppose that's from a different album. :o

• Members

Originally posted by ck3

I don't listen to Weezer much, but what about that Glitch Computer you're borrowing? If you set the octave blend and tracking deviation at lower levels, it is possible to thicken your sound without everything reverting to 8-bit confusion ... the tone in question sort of reminds me of "Buddy Holly" ... but I suppose that's from a different album.
:o

i'll give it a try! this thing is crazy cool.

did you get the S/H?

• Members

Originally posted by Elliott Damage

i'll give it a try! this thing is crazy cool.

did you get the S/H?

It's presently sitting in the local post office ... mainly because the new guy on my route rung the doorbell like a crack-addled magazine salesman ... thereby inspiring me not to answer the door. :mad:

• Members

a really good suggestion, there are alot of Rat's out there. i may have to start doing some research.

my buddy is really into weezer and the rentals and he LOVES the rat and vintage rat. he used a big muff (which is what the rentals used), but felt he didnt get enough gain and low end, so i suggested a rat and now that's what he uses. check 'em out.

• Members

Originally posted by SupernovaN2310

my buddy is really into weezer and the rentals and he LOVES the rat and vintage rat. he used a big muff (which is what the rentals used), but felt he didnt get enough gain and low end, so i suggested a rat and now that's what he uses. check 'em out.

definately on the list. thanks!

• Members

Originally posted by ck3

It's presently sitting in the local post office ... mainly because the new guy on my route rung the doorbell like a crack-addled magazine salesman ... thereby inspiring me not to answer the door.
:mad:

exellent. i'm PMing you the instructions right now.

• Members

Yeah. That sound from the Blue Album (and from a bunch of Pinkerton) is just an LP Jr Special through the Mesa Mark 1 head. No effects.

But to get that sort of crunch, some of the suggestions above might do it, at least somewhat. But you'd probably need Ric Ocasek to twiddle the knobs while you play, though.

• Members

I think the way the amps were mic'd may have influenced the sound as well.

But I will say this, I have an Agile AD-2500 (basically a copy of a LP special DC w/ P-90s), and it does seem to get the early-Weezer crunch better than my guitar w/ humbuckers. I played it through a Mesa Studio .22+ once, and was getting a pretty convincing Blue Album sound.

• Members

Originally posted by tlniec

I think the way the amps were mic'd may have influenced the sound as well.

This is exactly right. The amps were very quiet with a ton of gain, and they were mic'ed with condenser mic's. This is sort of the opposite of the traditional blaring amp/sm57 setup used on alot of records.

• Members

Originally posted by fuzzface71

I read an interview with Ric Ocasek (producer) from GW. That River's strat was cranked (so as the amps) with all the tone knobs on zero! With the occasional addition of a Big Muff.
:)

Rivers didn't record with strats.

The only guitars used on blue were a LP Jr DC, a Jaguar (say it aint so clean tone) and a Tele.

Archived