Should I update the Tube Zone?

• Members

Hi guys,

I need your honest help on this one,...

One common custom job on the Tube Zone is making the internal trimmers ('Brightness' and 'Character') external. I was toying around with the idea of using the mini controls like on my Neo Fuzz, but they're black, and the chrome knobs just don't look good with them. Switching all the knobs to black plastic just doesn't look good.

So I made up this prototype as a test:

TZII.jpg

Please excuse the stickers,... on the 'real' thing it would proper printing.

The question is , would you rather have the standard 3 knob Tube Zone for US$159.95, or would you prefer to have this one with all the controls external and still keeping the chrome knobs for US$164.95?

Please help!

• Members

Originally posted by michael_ibrahim

Whose that ugly bastard in the chome knobs,... oh that's me,...

Thanks for wearing clothes, at least.

I'm in favor of the controls being internal, but I'm a "set it and leave it" kind of guy. To me, more knobs just means more things to get changed while I'm moving the pedalboard, and more things to double check before a gig.

BTW, I'm loving my Blue Boy/Tube Zone combo

• Members

I haven't felt the need to adjust mine at all.

I was actually going to give you a call yesterday Michael, but going caught up in something. I did a gig on thursday night and I'm constantly amazed by just how good this pedal sounds. I got a bunch of great comments from all the other guitar players on the bill that night.

I love my Tube Zone :D

• Members

The question is , would you rather have the standard 3 knob Tube Zone for US$159.95, or would you prefer to have this one with all the controls external and still keeping the chrome knobs for US$164.95?

I`d pay a little more to have all controls external.

But honestly I would prefer oldstyle chicken knobs rather than the chrome knobs. Easier to see the settings and more to my esthetics. Could maybe cut the price a few cents too?

• Members

Chicken head knobs are too big,...

I can't use a smaller case, because there are too manu parts in the TZ. Also, it's a high gain design, so there are issues with layout and stability as well.

I was thinking about a super high gain version of the TZ,... I did a custom job for a customer who wanted more gain and an EQ. So I built a TZ with 4 times the gain of the standard, and low/mid/high similar to a marshall tone-stack. Something like that would be cool in black!

• Members

I would definitely be into a high-fidelity super high gain tube zone.
Definitely looking for a "metal" pedal that isn't your normal metalzone.

It's a shame with so many TS9/808 clones that there isn;'t a real boutique metal pedal.

MI, you build it, and I will come!

• Members

I definately like more options so when I buy a TZ I would go with the extra knobs.

On another note how about building a boutique EQ pedal? Like a GE-7 on Human Growth Hormone and horse steroids, maybe with one parametric band with adjustable Q as well

• Members

Chicken head knobs are too big,...

I can't use a smaller case, because there are too manu parts in the TZ. Also, it's a high gain design, so there are issues with layout and stability as well.

I was thinking about a super high gain version of the TZ,... I did a custom job for a customer who wanted more gain and an EQ. So I built a TZ with 4 times the gain of the standard, and low/mid/high similar to a marshall tone-stack. Something like that would be cool in black!

screw chickenhead knobs, they're ugly. i love the chrome knobs!

the pic you posted looks great and you should go with exactly that.

• Members

I have thought about EQ before, either a parametric or semi parametric. A 7 band wouldn't really work as a 'boutique' pedal, since the design for something like this is fairly standard, and there wouldn't be much more a boutique builder could offer,... perhaps true bypass, better components and quieter electronics,... but I'm not convinced that the sonic difference would be enough to warrant a much higher price tag. But then again, people are willing to pay a lot for straight out TS clones.

A parametric would be cool, but people tend to shy away from them because they're a bit more difficult to use. They're also a lot more component intensive, especially if you want to do them 'properly'. To give you an idea, I have a design for a parametric that uses about 30 components per band. So a full 4 band parametric with supporting electronics would be something like 150 components, including at least 16 opamp stages! That's a lot to squeeze into a pedal, and would take a very long time to build,... and hence be very expensive.

• Members

I have thought about EQ before, either a parametric or semi parametric. A 7 band wouldn't really work as a 'boutique' pedal, since the design for something like this is fairly standard, and there wouldn't be much more a boutique builder could offer,... perhaps true bypass, better components and quieter electronics,... but I'm not convinced that the sonic difference would be enough to warrant a much higher price tag. But then again, people are willing to pay a lot for straight out TS clones.

A parametric would be cool, but people tend to shy away from them because they're a bit more difficult to use. They're also a lot more component intensive, especially if you want to do them 'properly'. To give you an idea, I have a design for a parametric that uses about 30 components per band. So a full 4 band parametric with supporting electronics would be something like 150 components, including at least 16 opamp stages! That's a lot to squeeze into a pedal, and would take a very long time to build,... and hence be very expensive.

• Members

Michael, do the external pots have a better taper than the internal trimmers?

If so, I'd deifinitely go for paying a bit more external knobs, and also for making small adjustments if and when necessary without the need to unscrew.

OTOH, I'm kindawith Merkin in that I also like the set and forget kinda thing.

I personally like the chrome knobs as they're distinctively MI Audio...why not dip the whole damn pedal in chrome and be done with it.:D

• Members

Hi 4K,

Yep, they would have a more natural taper. The problem with the trimmers is that they're only available in linear taper. Log would give you a much better sweep.

You know me, the more knobs the better! If I had no constraints, I'd also add a 3 band EQ, and a couple of switches for EQ voicing,... but an 8 knob, 3 switch overdrive might be a bit intimidating, not to mention confusing and expensive!

• Members

Definatley external trimpots! Micheal, i'll be ordering a Gi Fuzz along with a Tubezone soon, but I think i'll hold out for the 'updated' version (if it goes ahead). I don't even think it should be a decision to make! External trimmers all the way. Love your work.

• Members

Hi 4K,

Yep, they would have a more natural taper. The problem with the trimmers is that they're only available in linear taper. Log would give you a much better sweep.

You know me, the more knobs the better! If I had no constraints, I'd also add a 3 band EQ, and a couple of switches for EQ voicing,... but an 8 knob, 3 switch overdrive might be a bit intimidating, not to mention confusing and expensive!

...and not to mention heavy with all those chrome knobs.

Is it feasible to have the EQ shape toggle as a continuous pot?...now that would also be cool...

...a six knob wonder instead.:D

• Members

hey michael, a coupla things. why not make the 2 extra knobs detented, for those looking to accurately reproduce a setting? and on an eq, what about an inducter-based one, ala the trident a/b-range consoles, for a more musical eq? or would that be too expensive?

ml

• Members

TIKI!

How are you mate?! It's been a while,... I would love to get into other effects. At the moment, I have plans for an optical compressor, analog chorus/flanger, analog delay, tremolo, phaser. It's all just a matter of time, which at the moment is a very precious commodity.

Dented knobs aren't too much problem. But why just these 2? Why not all knobs? As for EQ, inductor based ones are cool, but there's a bit more of a hassel, particularly in terms of sourcing parts. I'd also be worried in a high gain design about large coils of wire,... they migh behave like very effective antennas. Also, I personally prefer the traditional tone stack for guitar pedals. I like the idea of the EQ on the pedal feeling like a guitar amp tone stack.

• Members

I did a custom job for a customer who wanted more gain and an EQ. So I built a TZ with 4 times the gain of the standard, and low/mid/high similar to a marshall tone-stack. Something like that would be cool in black!

That must be one gain monster.

I would prefer external controls, not that I change them often but I always like the extra flexability.

I really like the combo of body and tone controls on the neo, could you add a body control to the TZ?

Hows that amp coming along?:)

• Members

TIKI!

How are you mate?! It's been a while,... I would love to get into other effects. At the moment, I have plans for an optical compressor, analog chorus/flanger, analog delay, tremolo, phaser. It's all just a matter of time, which at the moment is a very precious commodity.D

Hey Mike,

Been away mate, busy with life and the universe et al. I'd love to catch up sometime and get more info on the modulation idea's in the pipe. As a suggestion it would be very cool to get some kind of threshold thing going on with the Chorus or Flanger/Phaser like the A/DA which is really unique and highly useful. I don't know how hard it would be to build into the circuit but it would set it apart from the standard podals out there.

If you are building an analogue Delay then I am hoping to sweet heaven that you make it feedback and oscillate a'la the DM-2/3's by Boss! I'll have to get a listen to the Blues Pro and Neo Fuzz soon also. :cool:

Archived