What do you use to mix your synths down into your recorder?

Awake77

• Members

Originally posted by dxdreamer

during midi playback for external hardware synths and monitor thru software monitroing with vst effects, the latency isn't compensated

during recorded audio track and other vsti or other VST effects playback, the additional latency from certain plugins with extra latency is compensated

It is if you tweak the track compensation yourself for the track. I did a bunch of click tests ages ago so I know exactly what compensations I need.

Originally posted by dxdreamer

asymetric I/O latencies? i guess so @_@

01x ASIO @3ms, input will be 6ms, resulting latency for using software moniotring will be 9ms, and 6ms slower than other audio/vsti tracks. but most others have ASIO @3 input is also @3

as i use 13ms, it will become an issue for me during midi sequencing (can be solved by adding latency to other chennals) and especilly the greater latency during realtime inprovising, as i dont bounch the synth track right away and find another sound and sequence and bounce that sound rightaway

and i also uses software samplers so will need them to be sync

but to those uses full hardware setup with multi chennals software monitoring for all the synths at once, there isn't going to be any latency issus as all synths are getting the same latency

anyway by no mean it's a bad interface, just i would not recommand to those have similar work flow as me, and those need to use lots plugin that can't afford to have near zero latency but still require lots realtime playing and controls to record midi audio mixing for their hardware synth, guitars with vst amps

OK - Understand what you're getting at now. I dont find it a big deal - I know what latency adjustments I need to make when it matters, and anyway, Im running everything pretty tight anyway, so for alot of stuff, I can get away with not having to bother adjusting at all.

The asymetric latency is a slight pain, but an extra 3ms is no big deal - an extra 13ms bringing the total upto nearly 40 is a big deal of course. From my point of view - the overall ease and covenience of the package makes suffering this worthwhile in the absence of a similar convenient and flexible alternative.

Of course, maybe Im lucky with the performance - Im using a PCI-Express hosted on-board firewire port on a dual core 3.6Ghz CPU, so I can even get away with 64 samples, but normally use 128. Most plugins I use alot are DSP card hosted (like yourself).

• Members

Currently, I use the Audiophile Delta 192 PCI. All the tracks done in Tracktion are mixed down to my very old Fostex DMT-8vL 8 trk HD recorder. Noticed that my mixes now have a stronger presence than when I was using Cakewalk Pro Audio.

• Members

Latency issues with the Layla are not an issue, even when using VST plugins on my audio tracks during recording. (and I have a relatively old PC - but that will change with the recent wave of AMD price drops! :love: )

I just want a way to boost levels outside of the interface..I cant boost them with the Layla because they're line level only ins. Id have to go from the 1/4" out on the synth to the XLR in on the Octane. Not a big issue I guess - but the Octane is also a $600 piece of hardware that Im totally not using. To make matters worse, the Layla has to slave to the Octane's clock when hooked up via ADAT...there's a noticeable changne in sonic quality.

I dont need separate tracks for every synth, Id rather have 2 channels in with nice hot signal.

• Members

Originally posted by Awake77

Latency issues with the Layla are not an issue, even when using VST plugins on my audio tracks during recording. (and I have a relatively old PC - but that will change with the recent wave of AMD price drops!
:love:
)

I just want a way to boost levels outside of the interface..I cant boost them with the Layla because they're line level only ins. Id have to go from the 1/4" out on the synth to the XLR in on the Octane. Not a big issue I guess - but the Octane is also a $600 piece of hardware that Im totally not using. To make matters worse, the Layla has to slave to the Octane's clock when hooked up via ADAT...there's a noticeable changne in sonic quality.

I dont need separate tracks for every synth, Id rather have 2 channels in with nice hot signal.

just get a cheap wordclock cable to sync ur Octane with laya24's clock .....:thu

but then...signal can't be boost for its 1/4 inputs? then ....the really is kind of

and currenty uad1 and poco havn't yet fully support duelcore... so ... ahhh:freak:

• Members

just get a cheap wordclock cable to sync ur Octane with laya24's clock .....:thu

but then...signal can't be boost for its 1/4 inputs? then ....the really is kind of

Tried it!! It doesnt work. You cant have the ADAT cable connected and use the wordclock at the same time!! I know its really bizarre, I went back and forth between M-Audio and Echo tech support for like 2 weeks before I got anything resembling a straight answer.

Im tempted to upgrade the whole interface, but the Layla sounds really good - I didnt want to upgrade until I could afford an RME fireface or something similar. The Mackie 400F looks nice too, though.

Although, by Mackie's own admission the converters arent as tight as RME's.

Archived