Baritone string gauges?

andreas

• Members

I can't seem to find any baritone string sets in any of my local shops, so I guess it's time to put together a set of my own. But what gauges should I go for?

It's a 27.75" Epi Les Paul tuned B-B btw, and I prefer my strings to be medium stiff. For reference, I use 010-050 on a Strat, tuned E-E.

I'm thinking of trying 14-18-26-44-56-68, but I'm open to suggestions.

/Andreas

• Members

I'll be swinging (or whatever one does on crutches) by the shop tomorrow to pick up some strings. Thanks for the input!

I'm also leaning towards a pair of Bill Lawrence L-490 pickups for this one - should be interesting to try out. I just have to check my bank account... :cool:

/Andreas

• Members
Originally posted by andreas

I'll be swinging (or whatever one does on crutches) by the shop tomorrow to pick up some strings. Thanks for the input!

I'm also leaning towards a pair of Bill Lawrence L-490 pickups for this one - should be interesting to try out. I just have to check my bank account...
:cool:

/Andreas

andreas: i have 290's in my Bass VI -- they sound godly! they sound full, but with enough honk and rasp to cut through just about anything.

highly recommended!

• Members

Good tip. I'll have a chat with them and see if they can order some sets. Although I have no problem just buying loose strings in the gauges I want - I do that with my other guitar strings, so it'd just be more of the same. :)

/Andreas

• Members

Here's what I ended up with, after an afternoon of string-swapping:

.026w
.042w
.054w
.068w

There were a few limitations, I must admit, the most serious being the bottom string - a .068 was the biggest that would fit into the tuner without me bringing out the files to make the hole bigger. So a .068 low B it was, then. :D

With that as my base, I started messing about with string gauges, trying to find a good balance between each string. I initially strung the guitar with the gauges mentioned earlier, but the .044 and .056 felt just a tad too big, compared to the .068 and the .026. With a .070 low B and a .028 as the third string, it might have worked. But with the strings I had on there, .042 and .054 felt better balanced.

Much ado about nothing, I suppose... :cool:

/Andreas

• Members

Not really my style (as any proper metal player will notice :D), but I had to record something to demonstrate a pedal, and might as well... clip

I'll see if I can't whip up a couple of clean clips - that's where the bari really shines, IMO.

/Andreas

Archived