do you use any romplers/workstations?

mildbill

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

For me, a ROMpler is essential for the type of music that I do(funk, blues, soul, jazz/ fusion). I use the Yamaha S80, Hammond XB2 and Yamaha EX7 for gigs. For my home setup, I mainly play the patches from Reason's NN-XT and use the MicroKorg whenever needed.

• Members

I use a Triton-Pro and Motif ES-R, counterbalanced with a Nord Lead 2-R. While the ROMplers provide most of the sounds I utilize, I need the VA to more closely approximate the analog stuff....

• Members

i guess my E-mu e4X could be considered a ROMpler/workstation if needed. not sure exactly how reliable the internal sequencer is, but i've heard of people using it exclusively.

honestly, sometimes i wouldn't mind having something like a Roland XP-50 sitting around.

• Members

i use JD990 because its so much more a digital synth than a ROMpler.

for similar reasons, i proly wouldnt mind K2600. again, synthesis and tweakage posibilities are substantial.

for sample playback with some nice midi cc routing, matrix mod n filtering, i use e-mu E4XTU. for all other, straight ROMpling duties (like for acoustic piano, ethnic or orchestral sounds) i use only VSTi Kontakt and huge sound libs like EW stuff, Vienna etc. for this app, quality of samples in the hardware romplers just aint cutting it for me - too small memory, not enough mutlisamples/velozones etc.

all in all, live gig is one thing, but i really dont see a point in studio, that has a decent number of digi/analog synths and a selection of sound libs, having a big workstation style ROMpler, at all.. it gives you a lil bit of everything, but masters none. i had my share of those and sold all..

• Members

Yep, I've got a Yamaha Motif and a Roland JV1080 (with multiple expansion cards) that I can never convince myself to get rid of. I love my Access synths, and softsynths too (currently having a riot with MOTU's Ethno), but you can't beat the romplers for bread and butter sounds.

• Members

Roland Fantom is main rompler/controller in studio.

Keeping a Yamaha S30 in the closet, selling it at current prices would be pretty silly, besides Yamaha beats all Rolands, including their expansion cards, in pianos, epianos, clavinets.

Archived