So, I just bought that S90ES today and.....

MuzikB

• Members

Yamaha tech thinks that it's something wrong in the program itself that's on the server.

Studio Manager is OK

S90ES Multi Editor is OK

S90ES Voice Editor may be bad or corrupt.

They are pulling out an S90ES there to see if the problem can be duplicated.

• Members

Originally posted by kwgmatthies

Please report if you learn something valuable, like how to edit arpegios.

I already know how to do that. Buy yourself an ES8 to create the arpgeggios and then transfer it over. ;)

• Members

That's the easy way!

Yamy marketing worries if we could edit arpeggios and megavoices on our S90Es, how would they sell any overpriced MOs?

I just realized we didn't get the SQ01 software either. I understand the S80 and S90 both shipped with this sequencer.

My experience with Yahama software suggests that perhaps this oversight is actually a benefit of the ES?

See you over on the other forum.:wave: javascript:smilie(':wave:')

wave

• Members

Originally posted by kwgmatthies

That's the easy way!

Yamy marketing worries if we could edit arpeggios and megavoices on our S90Es, how would they sell any overpriced MOs?

I just realized we didn't get the SQ01 software either. I understand the S80 and S90 both shipped with this sequencer.

My experience with Yahama software suggests that perhaps this oversight is actually a benefit of the ES?

See you over on the other forum.
:wave:
javascript:smilie(':wave:')

wave

Of course you know how facetious I am here. ;)

Since one could load pre-made user arps on the S90ES, you would think some software could be provided. But I don't think we need an SQ01 since there are many commercial sequencers. However there are no commercial arpeggio editors!

kwgmatthies, are you incognito in the other forum? Or you are one of the S90ES guys there, in which case I will just guess. Might you be a famous one in print? ;)

• Members

Since one could load pre-made user arps on the S90ES, you would think some software could be provided. But I don't think we need an SQ01 since there are many commercial sequencers. However there are no commercial arpeggio editors!

I used to laugh at arpeggiator users, until I learned how to think about using them in a musical way. For instance, having a drum pattern as a arp allows you to break up the tempo just a bit to create a live feel.

Even though I'm more of a stright-ahead jazzer, I have found some tools in the S90-ES that makes the trio sound (piano-bass-drums) really happen. I hate the sound of straight MIDI accompaniment. But these arps really help overcome MIDI-itus.

There are just a few types of arps I would like to be able to create.

• Members

It was the S90ES arpeggiator that sold me on the ES over saving $700 on the older S90 (and the new piano sample, and the 128 voice poly, and the MIDI out port, and I guess a few other features now that I think of it...)

Over the Keyboard mag player forum there was a thread about "would you use the arpeggiator in a gig?" kind of thing a couple of months ago.

Personally, I like to use the arpeggiator for practice, as it stimulates ideas better than say, Band in the Box, with its rhythm following abilities, but I wouldn't gig with it, yet. For me, it's for practicing.

But, if I had some control over the arpeggios, I might consider using it during a single. I like playing cocktail hour stuff, and with some quiet brush sounds and a good bass line that really follows the key changes, this could be a great tool.

The real problem with this feature is I don't know what the heck its gonna do next, ie, how its programmed. If I knew more about the innerds of some of the better jazz arps, I might try it sometime.

For now, as I said, its a woodshed tool. Great for practice, and impressing visitors. They give me the opportunity to play in a number of styles I don't normally play (like hard rock or reggae), in differnt time sigs, etc. and also gets the mind working at times.

• Members

I upgraded from the S90 to the S90ES, taking a huge loss (because I had owned the S90 for less than a year), all because of the ability of the S90ES to support me in jazz.

We already know about the fabulous piano sound, but the arps won me over because the bebop arps on the S90 were not realistic. However the jazz arps on the S90ES are not perfect. I use them primarily for practice. I like the fact that you can trigger different jazz arps bar by bar which can make them semi realistic enough for uptempo bebop.

But like the old S90, the arp creator, whoever it is, is a little too creative on the patterns. Is it too much to ask to have a consistent hihat on 2 and 4 and good solid groove? Do I need a constant drum solo going on? Those arps are sometimes too complicated, a good way to lose your time.

So I wish there was a way to do some minor modifications on the arp. Since I can't, I took the simplest jazz arp and took out the tomtoms and just took the hihat. That's all I practice with. It's ok for practice, but I don't think I'd do a power single with that.

Maybe someone out there with an ES6 or ES8 will hear our plea and modify some of those arps for us.

• Members

Just wrapped this issue up with Yamaha a few minutes ago. They duplicated my problems with their own S90ES and fixed it with an update of the S90ES OS to 1.03. I reminded them that the readme.txt for the Mac OS download states that it was to be used on S90ES's with OS's earlier than 1.02, so I believe they are going to go back and change this file.

Now back to the PEK........

Archived