Best all-around gigging board?

tdempsey

• Members

Hello!

Looking for recommendations - if you could choose just one, what would it be?

With an emphasis on good acoustic piano sound plus all other bread and butter sounds in the $1,500 budget what would you choose?

Keep in mind gigging is the "application". Light sequencing is probably desirable, but a steep learning curve isn't... I'm leaning towards MO8 right now but I read things in this forum about the piano sounds that aren't great.

Thanks for any informed suggestions.

• Members

Thats totally a matter of personal preferance isnt it? I dont like pianos, but I do know there are dozens of high qaulity acoustic pianos each with something of its own sound. Those who love the sound of brand X's model Z piano may not like the sound of brand T's model A piano even if that ones more expensive.

There is of course no such thing as the best synth for gigging. Just as there is no universaly best electric guitar or bass of flute or kazoo. If piano is esp mportant to you, then decide what pianos you like best sound wise. Brand wise and model wise. Then perhaps people can suggest what keyboard does that piano very well.

• Members

The best is whatever you feel most comfortable with and can play best on.

As a for eg, A board may have fantastic performance controls, great sounds, but a keyboard feel you just dont get on with - end result - your playing may be way worse than on something that you prefer the feel of, but doesnt bascially sound as good.

• Members

The general consensus is to go for the first or second generations of the Big Three's flagships, i.e Triton, Fantom, or Motif. Anything before their latest incarnations listed in Musicians Friend should fall right in the $1500 price range. Personally, I'd recommend the Motif series. Had my Motif 6 for about four years and it has never left me wanting. Used it in a country band, funk band, and extensively at church.

• Members

I'll throw it out there because it often gets overlooked when everyone is talking about the Big 3.

Kurzweil K2500 or 2600 series. Definitely available in the used market at your $1500 price point. Awesomely capable machines with great effects (need KDFX on the 2500).

The other non-Big 3 three consideration is the Alesis Fusion. Played it a few times at GC. Can't say I really loved it but a lot of folks on the forum have raved about it. I think you really need to buy one, take it home and get under the hood a bit to figure out what it can do.

FS

• Members

I just got home from a gig with my MO8. It has a lot of very good and usable pianos, EP's, Wurli's, etc (same waveform as the Motif ES). I used to gig with an S-90 but the Mo's upgraded sounds, a little better interface for live work, and a slightly lower weight make it (for me) a better, all-around gigging board.

Archived