Should I buy a flugel?

• Members

It's something I've kinda sorta wanted for the past 10 years. Or more. But the thing is, I would never use it. I don't play any "mellow" music or ballads that would warrant it. I realize flugel can be used for a lot more than that, but only if flugel is "your sound" ... which it's not for me. Not saying that it might not eventually become "my sound", but that's definitely not gonna happen any time soon.

However, despite that, every time I hear a flugel, I want one :o

Also, based on the shopping I did like 10 years ago at Dillon, I didn't like any of the used horns they had and my taste in new horns was in the over-$1,000 range :eek:

• Members

In Jan.'06, I bought a new Kanstul ZKF1525 in satin lacquer.

"It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up."

I waited a couple of years before buying it, then I gave my '70s Conn flugel to my daughter.

I wish you could play it. It's unbelievable. Fat, warm tone for days. Solid intonation all over the horn. I play it with a GR 3S flugelhorn piece.

I bought it by phone from Chuck Levin's in DC. Never played it, never even saw it. I knew the store had a great reputation and they gave me a great price without having to negotiate. I picked up a nice Brass Bags double case at the same time.

Right now, I there is a bright lacquer ZKF1525 w/case on eBay. That might be worth examining but it's already near $1200 with a lot of time left in the auction. If you could get it for the right price, you'll love it but I suspect it's going to sell for not much less than you could buy a new horn.

• Members

In Jan.'06, I bought a new Kanstul ZKF1525 in satin lacquer.

"It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up."

I waited a couple of years before buying it, then I gave my '70s Conn flugel to my daughter.

I wish you could play it. It's unbelievable. Fat, warm tone for days. Solid intonation all over the horn. I play it with a GR 3S flugelhorn piece.

I bought it by phone from Chuck Levin's in DC. Never played it, never even saw it. I knew the store had a great reputation and they gave me a great price without having to negotiate. I picked up a nice Brass Bags double case at the same time.

Right now, I there is a bright lacquer ZKF1525 w/case on eBay. That might be worth examining but it's already near $1200 with a lot of time left in the auction. If you could get it for the right price, you'll love it but I suspect it's going to sell for not much less than you could buy a new horn.

SBB!! Did you hack MarkZ's account to post that? :mad:

j/k ;) But you guys aren't helping me not want a flugel :(

• Members

I push what I play!:mad:

But if Kanstuls are too hard to find at a good price, check out Yamaha's flugs. The Shew flug is a good one, and there are enough of those around that you should be able to get a good price on one used. Then, if you really dig flugel, you can try to find the right one for you ala your Conns for trumpets. If not, you'll probably be able to get most of what you paid out of it.

• Members

you know how, before you can drive, you say "I have no place to drive to that I can't get to anyways"...and then you get a car and find out that you were wrong?

...well, it wasn't like that for me, but lots of people I know, anyways

but the point is that I think you would discover a whole new kind of music that you had never had *much* exposure to.

also, I love the sound of the flugle--it's so nice and mellow! The trumpet has its place, but I think the flugle is a bit better ;)

• Members

While you're at Dillon check out their selection of Eb tubas for me. It'll be a while before I make it out there. On the other side of that I may have found my used Eb and might pick it up this weekend if I can talk the wife out of the money. Nice Besson 983, 4 valve full compensating front action Eb tuba. . .scuse me for a moment while I go wipe up the puddle of drewl under my desk!

• Members

{censored}, that reminds me ... I want to try out a Committee
:freak:

The Committees being made now are nothing like the original. If you can find an old one, go for it! If not, the closest is (supposedly) the Lawler C7.

BTW, I think Cousenon is pronounced "Kwee-no" or similar; its a French brand after all. I know I can't say it!

• Members

{censored}, that reminds me ... I want to try out a Committee
:freak:

Do you mean a Committee flugel? Have you seen one? It's not shaped like a traditional flugel. Almost like a marching mellophone, more round than oval. Miles played one on some of the Gil Evans dates. I tried one once but couldn't get past the feel of it in my hands.

Vintage Committee trumpets have become outrageously priced the past several years, probably more due to Chris Botti* than Miles. I'd love one, too, but not at the prices I've seen people asking for decent '40s-50s horns. Even the beaters are overpriced.

To borrow a song title, someday my Martin will come.

BTW, have you considered trying a flugel mouthpiece with trumpet shank on your trumpet? It might darken up your sound enough to give you another tone color before you shell out $$ for a flugel.

I've heard Roy Hargrove play this flugelhorn and he kills on it:

http://www.inderbinen.com/Page_e/Wood_e.html

It's around $4900:eek:. Check it out on "How Insensitive" on Hargrove's "Moment By Moment". It's luscious (yes, I'm using that word). Inderbinen makes very interesting trumpets, too. I've never played any of their horns and have only seen 1 or 2 on eBay in the past several years.

* please, no one should take this as license to comment on Botti

• Members

Mark,

Yes, I meant a Committee in the Milesian sense. Trumpet, 50's, original. I know they go for crazy ducats, but I'm hoping Dillon will have one I can just blow on to say I have :) Tried out a 30s or 40s French Besson at Dillon for the same reason (didn't really float my boat at the time, but hey, at least I can say that from experience ;) ).

I have indeed considered getting this special flugel shank that Bob Reeves makes that fits right into his rims and sleeves (I play a Bob Reeves mouthpiece). My teacher has one, and it's quite effective, sounds great, and won't give you "flugel chops" ... but that is the practical option, if I knew I needed flugel on a job but didn't want to invest in the horn or the extra weight it entails (though I would technically get paid time and a half). In my case, it's more about the instrument itself... Like I said, I can't really see myself actually *using* the flugel...

• Members

Ok, I have a bass trumpet, a Bach strad and a Bach mercury, plus a cheap little pocket trumpet from India. (garbage that...)

Can I convince the wife that I need another horn?
:)

Well, there's your problem. You've got a wife :)

I'm single, I spend whatever my WALLET allows me to ;)

• Members

Can I convince the wife that I need another horn?

First, try to convince her that you need 3 new horns (choose any 3 from a second Bb, piccolo, C, D, Eb/D, flugel, or cornet).

Then, settle for just one.

Archived